Sign in to follow this  
rayban

No Words

61 posts in this topic

In an interview with Bobby Gentry while the song was so popular, she said that the ending was vague on purpose.  She wanted everyone to supply his or her own ending.

• Like 3

Yes, the sympathetic treatment of James Best's character is most perplexing.

And at the time the movie was made it's kind of shocking-but Bobby Lee is not only forgiving but has a lot of common sense- perhaps she doesn't believe that gay panic lead Bobby Joe to kill himself either?  Too bad it's too late for a sequel unless...

And at the time the movie was made it's kind of shocking-but Bobby Lee is not only forgiving but has a lot of common sense- perhaps she doesn't believe that gay panic lead Bobby Joe to kill himself either?  Too bad it's too late for a sequel unless...

As you say, as the film nears its' conclusion, there do seem to be "missing scenes".

As you say, as the film nears its' conclusion, there do seem to be "missing scenes".

I would love to interview the screenwriter to understand who made the decision about the story line- there seem to be two films a doomed teen romance and the gay story. I believe the film makers did not want to deal or explore the issues they raised.  If the movie had been made in the 1950's the gay panic suicide would make a lot more sense.

• Like 2

Jason Lewis, as Joe the angel, in "Midnight, Texas" -

nup_173683_0004.jpg?w=670

• Like 2

Famous closet case Kevin Spacey will star as Gore Vidal in biopic.  I wonder how much homosexual activity will be portrayed...?

• Like 2

"The Affairs of Dobie Gillis" - Don Weis - 1953 -

The cast includes Bobby Van, Debbie Reynolds, Bob Fosse and Barbara Ruick -

Barbara_Ruick%2C_Bob_Fosse%2C_Debbie_Rey

In this film, Bob Fosse tells Bobby Van that he is "a living doll".

• Like 1

Famous closet case Kevin Spacey will star as Gore Vidal in biopic.  I wonder how much homosexual activity will be portrayed...?

There wasn't much homosexual activity in either of the Truman Capote biopics, but I got the impression that Toby Jones' character in particular "thought" like a homosexual. I wonder how much Spacey will allow his character to "think" like a homosexual. I wonder if this is his project in the same way the Bobby Darin film was his project. Darin wasn't the kind of stretch for Spacey that I think Vidal would be.

• Like 2

There wasn't much homosexual activity in either of the Truman Capote biopics, but I got the impression that Toby Jones' character in particular "thought" like a homosexual. I wonder how much Spacey will allow his character to "think" like a homosexual. I wonder if this is his project in the same way the Bobby Darin film was his project. Darin wasn't the kind of stretch for Spacey that I think Vidal would be.

Truman was asexual in "Capote" (2005) and a bit gayer in "Infamous" (2006)  I thought Toby Jones was more convincing and hey at least he got to kiss Daniel Craig.  Spacey is playing an older Vidal so there might be at least some hustler sex .  I'm sure Spacey will love casting that young man ;)   Spacey was too old for the Bobby Darin film- which I think has some interesting moments

• Like 2

Truman was asexual in "Capote" (2005) and a bit gayer in "Infamous" (2006)  I thought Toby Jones was more convincing and hey at least he got to kiss Daniel Craig.  Spacey is playing an older Vidal so there might be at least some hustler sex .  I'm sure Spacey will love casting that young man ;)   Spacey was too old for the Bobby Darin film- which I think has some interesting moments

According to what I read, Gore Vidal and his lover were not having sex for quite some time.

• Like 1

This could be interesting.  "Famous closet case" Spacey playing Gore Vidal?  Playing Vidal in his later years, Vidal was still Vidal even if there isn't a lot of physical sex going on.  Armchair psychologists will have a field day with this casting.

• Like 1

Ray Milland in "Bulldog Drummond Escapes" from 1937 -

HOTTER THAN HELL!!!! - 

image-w856.jpg?1445942299

• Like 1

Totally. I've never seen him this young. I wonder if Tyrone Power ever cornered him at a party.

Dana Andrews was another knockout as a youth who seemed to age quickly.

• Like 3

Joe Dante mentions that the director Tom Grafe cast his boyfriend David Love in the lead of "Teenagers from Outer Space"https://youtu.be/j4eQG0I9lsg

I'm curious about the documentary he mentions- there is almost no information on the doomed Grafe or his boyfriend

Roger Herren in "Myra Breckinridge" - he disappeared from the screen - was his role that notorious? -

Myra-Breckinridge-Raquel-+Welch-Roger-He

d5da482695146445d1ebaca5d9925544.jpg

• Like 1

Not to mention, Raquel certainly didn't suffer. I guess this is Myra's big day with both him and Tom Selleck on the radar for we TCM posters.

• Like 1

Roger Herren - he has only two screen credits - "Paint Your Wagon" and "Myra Breckinridge" - he died at the age of 68 - 89346259fbcbf4985666873aa0b468ee.jpg 

600_343619252.jpeg

He left the business quickly. Per the imdb.com, "Amid his brief time in front of the lights and cameras, Herren had something of a roller-coaster personal life which included dating Barbara Thinnes, ex-wife of actor Roy Thinnes. He lives inauspiciously in Santa Barbara, California and could still be found on the beach until his death at the age of 68."

Even his official obituary is nebulous, which isn't specific as to the exact day in September 2014 he died so we don't know if he celebrated his last birthday or not. I guess he didn't.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rayban said:

Roger Herren in "Myra Breckinridge" - he disappeared from the screen - was his role that notorious? -

Myra-Breckinridge-Raquel-+Welch-Roger-He

d5da482695146445d1ebaca5d9925544.jpg

The movie is ridiculous-that scene is a lot hotter in the book

• Like 1

Now that out of the closet Kevin Spacey career is dead... I wonder who they will cast as Gore Vidal in that project Spacey was suppose to do- any casting suggestions?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaragon said:

Now that out of the closet Kevin Spacey career is dead... I wonder who they will cast as Gore Vidal in that project Spacey was suppose to do- any casting suggestions?

How about Sean Penn?

How about Bryan Cranston?

An anti gay group start their meeting with a performance that you have to seehttps://youtu.be/T_nEzYwakrs

Was this attractive man a cheerleader in college? Or is he just a big fan of Ross Hunter's musical production of "Lost Horizon" ?

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, jaragon said:

An anti gay group start their meeting with a performance that you have to seehttps://youtu.be/T_nEzYwakrs

Was this attractive man a cheerleader in college? Or is he just a big fan of Ross Hunter's musical production of "Lost Horizon" ?

Or is he just sick...S-I-Q-U-E? I'm continually amazed at how the human mind can contain an idea and its opposite at the same time without any internal alarms going off. (Much like a certain someone's tweets.)

I agree he was somewhat attractive, but would we want this one back?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougieB said:

Or is he just sick...S-I-Q-U-E? I'm continually amazed at how the human mind can contain an idea and its opposite at the same time without any internal alarms going off. (Much like a certain someone's tweets.)

I agree he was somewhat attractive, but would we want this one back?

Yeah I agree with you if he is a straight man and not as I suspect a gay double agent- he is very comfortable with his "creative" side

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaragon said:

Yeah I agree with you if he is a straight man and not as I suspect a gay double agent- he is very comfortable with his "creative" side

My first thought was that they were getting PUNK'D, so maybe he was a double agent.