Sign in to follow this  
deeanddaisy666

drdoolittle (off topic)....

9 posts in this topic

Thanks stoneyburke!

I happen to catch the news plus my daughter works for a grocery store she called to find out what our cat eats thank god it wasn't one of the recalls.My heart goes out to the folks whose animal that had gotten sick or passed away.

We went to Pet Smart yesterday and noticed empty shelves and notices about the recalls. The Science Diet cans were still on the shelves-on sale. I didn't read the recall list, because of the empty shelves. Luckily, the girl at the counter said those cans were recalled too. I don't know why they were still on the shelves, but at least this girl was showing her concern. I'm always a little surprised when I get good customer service...I realize that we humans are at risk with anything we buy in supermarkets (lately,) but now our pets are in jeopardy!

This is very troubling for me, because I have a great many dogs who eat food at a high rate. So by the time I caught wind of the recall, my dogs' had already eaten all the food... But luckily they are all doing well, I hope this is the last we hear of a recall! Boy, it seems eating even for the little animals is becoming a dangerous thing... :(

Stoney:

You know how I feel about dogs, and that I love cats, but I hate to think of the food they eat being tainted in any way. It's like baby food, because they can't tell you that something is wrong, except by not eating, then you just get mad and think they're suddenly being picky. I hope this is resolved quickly.

Anne

Pet Food Co. Knew Of Problem Last Month

In Tests Of Food After Complaints, As Many As 1 In 6 Animals Died; Cause Still A Mystery

Quote:

(CBS/AP) As many as one in six animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food by the manufacturer last month after complaints the products were poisoning pets around the country, the government said Monday. . .

. . . . Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It began new tests on Feb. 27. . . .

. . . The recall now covers dog food sold throughout North America under 51 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was sold under both store and major brand labels at Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers.. . .

. . . The FDA has yet to tally how many reports it has received of cats and dogs suffering kidney failure or death. The company has reported just 10 deaths, of nine cats and a single dog. . . .

. . . "We are still trying to find out what the true picture is out there of animals. We're talking about 1 percent of the pet food (supply) and it's really just impossible to extrapolate at this point," Sundlof said.. . .

Link to Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/20/national/main2587087.shtml?source=mostpop_story