Sign in to follow this  
malkat

Into The Woods

55 posts in this topic

I heard that Into The Woods might possibly be made into a movie. I would LOVE for this to happen, as Into The Woods is one of my favorite Broadway musicals.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Unless it comes from a reliable source, my first instinct would be to doubt it. A DVD of the Broadway production has already been released:

Video

Into the Woods was taped for video and aired on U.S. Public television March 20, 1991. The taping was done in May 1989 with the original Broadway cast. It is also available on DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Woods

Typically musicals for which a DVD is released that is a filmed version of the stage production, don't get made into movies... it happened with Cats and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, just to name a couple.

Oh . . . I had the Broadway tape but it busted :(

I was looking forward to this movie, too . . .

The film version was announced, with both a cast and a director, but the project has been abandoned. The only Sondheim musical before cameras, is SWEENEY TODD.

Unfortunately there isn't always enough incentive to spend millions of dollars in a movie version of musicals that were already profitable on-stage, and where you can just release a DVD of the stage version and make a tidy profit on the side! :(

Aren't you more interested in the Johnny Depp version? :)

Look at the cast!

Johnny Depp ... Sweeney Todd

Helena Bonham Carter ... Mrs. Lovett

Alan Rickman ... Judge Turpin

Sacha Baron Cohen ... Signor Adolfo Pirelli

Laura Michelle Kelly ... Beggar Woman

Jayne Wisener ... Johanna

Christopher Lee ... Gentleman Ghost

Anthony Head ... Ballad Ghost

Timothy Spall ... Beadle Bamford

Jamie Campbell Bowen ... Anthony Hope

Plot summary, from imdb.com:

Benjamin Barker alias Sweeney Todd, returns to London after being deported to find out what happened to his wife and child at the hands of Judge Turpin. When he learns of their terrible fate he joins fortunes with Mrs. Nellie Lovett, the baker downstairs from his barbershop, and sets out to seek revenge. Written by Kathy Li {kli@qualcomm.com}

Times are hard in 1846 London and one must make do. Nellie Lovett adds something extra to the meat pies she peddles on Fleet Street. The secret ingredient: freshly murdered victims of her partner in crime, barber Sweeney Todd. Composer/lyricist Stephen Sondheim refashions a macabre tale into a musical masterwork in this dazzling performance of the 1979 Broadway hit originally staged by Harold Prince. In her Tony-winning role, Angela Lansbury plays Nellie. George Hearn turns his stage role of twisted Sweeney into an Emmy-winning triumph. The score coils around itself in every-tightening spirals. The lines ripple with black humor and madness. Enter Sweeney's tonsorial parlor. Attend the tale. Written by dramaking1227

Benjamin Barker, a skilled barber with a lovely wife who is pregnant with their child, suddenly loses everything. He is sent away on a trumped-up charge to prison at Botany Bay, by the nefarious Judge Turpin, who has designs on his wife. Fast-forward some years later, when Benjamin escapes with help from the steadfast friendly sailor Anthony Hope. Returning to London and taking the name Sweeney Todd, he seeks to find out what has happened to his family. Mrs. Nellie Lovett, the widow who ran the bakery downstairs from Barker's shop, (and always had a crush on him), tells him of their horrible fate, which sends Barker/Todd over the edge into madness, consumed by the thirst for revenge against the Judge. Ever-practical, with the possibility of murder and mayhem afoot, Mrs. Lovett thinks of a fiendishly clever way that they can both make a killing...literally. But she hasn't been forthcoming about everything, unbeknownst to her new partner, and the engines of Fate begin to grind and roar, bearing all the parties involved to an unexpected and devastating denouement... Written by Chris Chase (cchase@onebox.com)

> With Tim Burton directing?

>

> *glee* :) :) :)

I feel the same way! B-)

Barring any unexpected delays, the film should be in theaters next December! :)

Boy am I glad you guys went through what it's about, Much as I love Angela Lansbury, how could she do something as awful as that sounds. Sorry guys, I know some of you will like it, even love it, but give me the 6 brothers and their girls singing about Spring any time.

That is DEFINITELY one musical I won't want to see!

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl

I did see it, twice on Broadway, during its original run. Once, because my friend was in the chorus, and once, because he moved-up to one of the leading roles. It's beyond horrible. I couldn't have hated it more. The music is some of the worst I've ever heard. It's just a lot of noise.

Johnm:

What happened, did you get a free ticket from your buddy? When I read these threads, I generally go top to bottom, so I'm actually reading backwards, but as soon as I saw the name Tim Burton, I thought WHAT?!?!?

It's odd I've heard about Sweeney Todd so many times, but never knew the plot. I didn't even read the whole imdb thing that was re-printed here, the first paragraph was enough. Then of course, when I heard Johnny Depp was in it, oh geez! He could be so great if he would try doing something on the other side of the dark half.

Anne