Sign in to follow this  
okrah

FRED ASTAIRE ? OR GENE KELLY ?

62 posts in this topic

Hahahahaha ... OK, movielover, about the head switch ... but Astaire was just so darned cool, without seeming snobby, that his looks work for me.

Right on Baker ! But don't you also love Astaire's acting ? I love how he played all of his roles ... so sophisticatedly cool, but never a snob !

Besides, I usually hear that Gene's bod is one of his definite pluses!

(I'm with you okrah; I like Freddie's looks and physique.)

This is a complete no brainer for me. (And yes, I have seen both in film and dancing.)

Gene Kelly. GAHHH, he was/is freakin' amazing! Not to mention was incredibly talented in other ways other than dancing and amazingly handsome.

Yup, I mentioned them a long time ago somewhere on this site.

Not sure if acrobatic tap is what they did, but whatever it was, it was amazing. I was always a big fan of Hines, Hines and Dad as a yout, and loved the dancing step where the dancer leaned forward, all the while dancing like mad.

Amazing men.

I prefer Gene Kelley, but I had read many stories that he was not a nice man - very tough to work with and a disciplinarian. Therefore, I'd say Fred Astaire was the better gentleman and dancer. I've never heard a bad word about him. I thought Gene Kelly was handsome but I always thought his teeth were so huge that they'd pop out of his mouth - he always had this very annoying large grin on his face.

>Then he asked if i needed help. Then i said no but you can come over to my >place. He said okay. So i drove him to my apartment. My apartment at the time >was very small but it had my fathers piano in it. he sat down and tought me a >piano duet. That was fred for you.

------------------------------------------------------

hawkraven - Seriously ? Upon introducing himself, at the spur of the moment, Fred accepted your invitaion, jumped in your car and rode to your place with you ? If any, what was the conversation during that trip ? And seriously, you had Fred sitting at your dad's piano teaching you a duet ? Sooo .. "that was Fred for you" ??? Amazing, simply amazing. Do you remember in what decade this was and approx. how old you were ? I assume you lived in Hollywood ?

> Sure sounds like a romantic story, doesn't it? B-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinemascope - I considered that ... it does ... which would explain ..... things.

hawkraven - You must feel free to share in here ! According to the math, you certainly have seniority.

I like them both, but if I must choose, it's Mr Astaire, no question about it. I love his low-key elegance-this is the man who could wear, as practice clothes, a shirt and pants, with a bandanna tied around his slim waist, and at that very moment look as if he'd just left a shop in Savile Row. His dancing had the same quality-never let 'em see you sweat-easy does it--while actually being incredibly demanding. No bravura, he drew you in, "just a little dance amongst friends", while doing the most intricate steps. He made his innovations look natural rather than impressive. I just prefer his style.

Neither...Ginger Rogers...just think, she did every step that Fred made and on high heels no less. lets see if Fred can top that hat? LOL Gene was an acrobatic dancer, Fred had elegance..class.

Fred Astaire hands down, i mean he had charm, elegance, could sing too and what a superb dancer, there is no one like him and there never will be! Gene Kelly is a ham and I do not like him