Sign in to follow this  
putzegirl5

How about having a "Made for tv movie day"

66 posts in this topic

I have been search for many years to see the movie "I Love A Mystery" and can't find it any where. Thats because it was made for television. The movie was made in 1973 and had David Hartman and a small cameo part for Don Knotts.

Sorry, my initial reaction at reading the head was, "Gad, no!" TCM is theatrical movies only. Something like the "ILAM" TV-movie might show up on Universal's Sleuth Channel.

I understand that made for television movies are considered not the best quality but there are many in the 70's that were very entertaining and almost impossible to find. Surely, with the limited topics TCM is facing it would be something different to watch and maybe bring up old childhood memoirs. I can think of another movie "The Last Convertable" which was based on a novel that was well writen for television that we may never see again.

I am also a big fan of "The Last Convertible" and I know it is not on DVD, but wondered if it ever made it to VHS? I remember seeing it many years ago on television and have read the book many, many times.

smax

I don't think it's such a bad idea. There have been quite a number of very good made-for-TV movies. Right off the bat I can think of Spielberg's "Duel," and "Trilogy of Terror" (the original, with Karen Black). There are many other theatrical cinema directors/producers/writers who have done things for TV. It could be presented as a "from TV to cinema and back again" program.

Whoever acted as curator would have to sift very carefully, though, because a very great portion of what's been made for TV is pretty awful.

It has nothing to do with if a TV-movie is bad or great. There have been plenty of wonderful TV-movies, such as "The Execution of Private Slovik" or "That Certain Summer".

It's about retaining the purity of what TCM is, a theatrical movie only channel. My feeling is that adding TV-movies to its schedule would ruin it.

Surely, with the limited topics TCM is facing...

What limited topics is TCM facing? I don't think they are short on ideas. They are constantly adding new studio films to their schedule. They have recently found 6 films assumed lost. They premiered about 50 films never before on TCM this month and another 50 or so are planned for April. Etc.

Well, I guess I'm not that into cinematic eugenics. A movie is a movie, and plenty of made-for-TVs have been shown theatrically. In any event, I'd much rather see more silents shown on TCM (at an hour when I'm still awake) than any made for TVs.

It might be interesting to have a channel dedicated to made for TV movies exclusively. It's probable that a lot of surprisingly good material would show up.

Have you ever seen DEADMAN'S CURVE, a 1978 made-for-TV film about the surf-rock duo Jan & Dean? Richard Hatch and Bruce Davison starred. It's incredibly cool and I would love to see it air on TCM!!

It seems that some of the nine Encore channels show a variety of older made for TV movies. TV movies vary in quality from poor to very good.

TCM, with access to "classic" movies, is not the place for TV movies.

The only "Made for TV movie" worth remembering is the ABC movie "Trilogy of Terror" with Karen Black. If TCM decided to broadcast "Trilogy of Terror, then a "Love, American Style" prime time evening would not be too far away. Let's hope TCM doesn't decide to go in the direction of scheduling "Made for TV" movies.

Wow, I remember that one, thomasterryjr! That was the one where the little creature with the spear -- a stolen pagan idol of some kind? -- came to life and went after Karen, she of the spooky eyes, and killed her? Creeped me out big time.

That and the episode of the Night Gallery, with my beloved Rod Serling, that starred Joan Crawford, who bought the eyes from a poor person in order to see for a night -- and that night happened to be when a blackout occurred! Waaay cool.

By the way, putzegirl5 (interesting name), what did you mean by:

Surely, with the limited topics TCM is facing.... ?

Here? On its teevee channel? I'm curious.

I love the fact that TCM is a classic movie channel and I don't want to change that but you can't find these movies anywhere. I have personal search for "I Love A Mystery" and other like it for years(including tv stations). You can see or purchase most of the movies that TCM offers anywhere but where do you find some of these really rare tv movies? I don't think having a "Made for tv movie day" done right, will change the total theme of the channel into TBS. I have just noticed that on April 9th they are having a "No animals were harmed" day....really is "Made for tv movie day" such a stretch that people couldn't handle it? Just think about it...it might be fun to see some movie that you haven't seen (or may never see again) for one day.

Let me agree with you putzegirl5 here here I for one would love to see Sybil. That movie has had such a profound effect on me-I carry around memories of watching it and I have for years. An excellent made for TV movie and Brian's Song another excellent movie I could go for seeing it. And how about the complete showing of Roots-now I could go for seeing it. As a young child I saw Roots night after night and was enthralled. I especially appreciate well made movies whatever source they may be. As for the no animals harmed theme how about big stars on the little screen? Now I know they about did the disease of the week to death but there are some gems in the made for Tv movies no doubt. BTW something else I'ld love to see is a beauty paegant I saw in the 80s the Miss NC what a show so entertaining. They had former winners hosting the event and I loved it. The paegant was a constant delivery of entertainment esp. the footage of the winner who dropped her crown....well I support your idea putzgirl5-great idea.

The only TV Movie that I would consider is:

"Brians Song" - With Billy Dee Williams & James Caan & Jack Warden

Bartlett

Maybe I am a lone holdout, but under no circumstances would I EVER want to see a TV-movie on TCM. TCM is the ONLY place to show theatrical movies 24 hours a day. All the other channels shows combination of TV and movies. And if someone said, it is for one time only, well, that would be like cheating when you have a perfect relationship...what was there would never be the same again, and likely would be lost forever because there would always be the suspicion it could happen again.

And you can't really say, " I have just noticed that on April 9th they are having a "No animals were harmed" day....really is "Made for tv movie day" such a stretch that people couldn't handle it?" All the movies in the themed animal day are still theatrical movies. Your comparison just doesn't work. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Listen, why not try the Hallmark Channel? This sort of thing is right up their alley. To me, asking for TV-movies here is wrong. If they do it once, that opens the floodgates to more days later on.

Also, you've had two requests to explain your comment. "Surely, with the limited topics TCM is facing..." but you haven't answered that yet.

Actually the TV movie of "Death of a Salesman" made in 1985 with Dustin Hoffman and John Mallkavich is one of the best filmed versions of Arthur Miller's classic play.

Maybe I am a lone holdout...

No, you're not alone in your steadfastness. While there are many TV movies that I have loved, airing them here would take away chances to see 1930's-1940's films that I've never seen. I most likely already saw the good TV flicks.

> Sybil? Brian's Song? Duel?

>

> I'd love to see them all. But not on TCM...

Why not? Would you rather see "Good Times" with Sonny & Cher for the 12th Time on TCM instead?

There are NINE Encore channels, some of them "themed," i.e. Westerns, Drama, Love, Mystery, etc; general interest, i.e., Encore, IndiePlex, RetroPlex; and one "sampler," MoviePlex. These NINE Encore channels regularly program Made-For-TV Movies.

The Encore/Starz website has a link for e-mailing them to request specific programming.

Many Made-for-TV Movies have been issued on VHS or DVD.

There are many good TV Movies. Yesterday I watched The Last of His Tribe, a 1992 HBO movie about Ishi, the last survivor of the Yahi tribe, as I dubbed it from my VHS copy (recorded from its original HBO showing on 4/12/92). Movies like this one are very good. Perhaps Last of His Tribe has been shown on one of the Encore channels.

The Encore group of NINE cable channels is the appropriate venue for Made-For-TV Movies.

The ONE TCM channel is for "Classic Movies."

Sigh, it's like talking in a vacuum.

Yes, filmlover, isn't it just sometimes?

There would be less meat left in this thread than a victim of the shark in Jaws.

Excellent line, but those of us who hate post 1959 movies have been beaten down by those who respond to each and every posted comment and have finally convinced those of us with a brain to give up.

Finally, you are quite correct. Even though I agreed that the Karen Black teevee movie was good, there is just one comment to this person:

---what part of Turner CLASSIC Movies don't you understand? There is enough crap on TCM without submerging oneself into the sewer of teevee movies. If this were to begin, can AMC be far behind?

Also, you've had two requests to explain your comment. "Surely, with the limited topics TCM is facing..." but you haven't answered that yet.

Yes, putzegirl5 (again, interesting name) please answer the question.

"I love the fact that TCM is a classic movie channel and I don't want to change that but you can't find these movies anywhere."

To me this is the equivalent of walking into a fine French restaurant and telling the chef, "I think it's great you do all this gourmet food, but I can't find those greasy burgers I used to eat ANYWHERE; can you have one junk food day each week?"

Ain't gonna happen (I fervently hope)...

Good luck with your quest, but please look elsewhere!!!

Geez, I hope not. Most tv movies arent worth watching again.........

I want to apolgize for starting tention between people...it was just a thought. I will try Encore like someone suggested. My comment with.."Surely,.... that has been bugging you so much... is from the fact I have seen sooooo many repeats on TCM that I thought it would be something different. FOR JUST ONE DAY ...ONE.. maybe they could try it. Someone suggested calling the day "From the big screen to the little screen" or "From cinema to TV and back again" anything like that would explain to the views (those of you who would think the world was ending if they see a made for TV movie on TCM) that it was just for entertainment.