Sign in to follow this  
FrRonald

OVER THE HILL TO THE POORHOUSE (1920)

24 posts in this topic

I can remember my mother telling me about the film OVER THE HILL TO THE POORHOUSE when she was a little girl..... Does anyone have a copy of it??? Would like to see it. Any info about it??? Thank you.

Sorry to tell you but "Over The Hill To The Poorhouse" is not officially listed with any major film archive. Its survival status is unknown at present. If it still exists, it is probably in the hands of a collector who doesn't realize he has a "sole surviving" copy, so to speak. In its time is was very successful. Its budget was $100,000 and it brought in $3,000,000. There were at least two other versions, one of which it is suspected D.W. Griffith wrote the scenario for (1908).

Roy

Roy--Thanks kindly for the time and effort. Maybe,someday,it will turn up and be available.I heard or read somwhere that MARY CARR was the perfect "mother"in early films and perhaps in movie history....Wish I could remember where I heard/read that.....Take care...

Ronald,

In 1937- 20th Century-Fox (NJ)- Negatives for most of , if not all, pre-1935 Fox films destroyed. Big problem was that original negatives and fine grain masters were stored in the same vault.

?Cleopatra? starring Theda Bara is lost, so is "Way Down East" as well as films starring William Farnum, Harry Carey and Tom Mix are lost. Also companies such as Educational Pictures, World-Wide that Fox sub-distributed for are lost.

So, it is possible that the film is lost.

Ronald,

If it is "Mother Movies" that you are looking for, try John Ford's beautiful FOUR SONS (Fox, 1928). Margaret Mann, is sweetest dearest old Mom imaginable! If you can't find a copy anywhere, than you can get one from me!

This highly moving feature really should be properly restored, and released on DVD for everyone to discover! Not only is it a genuine Masterpiece of movie making, but it is probably John Ford's finest Silent film!

Hi lzcutter. I appreciate your replies. I can hope that maybe the film might turn up in some collection that someone has, either here or in europe........ As an example I have searched for--LUCKY BOY(1929) and have recently found it and have a decent copy of it. Also, I just ordered STELLA DALLAS (1925) and am looking forwared to seeing it....Again, thanks for all the info....

Roy, thanks for all the info on Mary Carr. Yesterday, I found a photo of her from OVER THE HILL TO THE POORHOUSE.... I ordered it. At least I will have something from the movie even if it is lost..........

Do the FOX films starring Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell exist? I've never seen one and They were so popular in their day.

PFriedman,

Yes, SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927), STREET ANGEL (1928), and LUCKY STARR (1929), all still exist. In-fact, virtually pristine prints have even been shown of these three features at recent retrospectives.

FOUR DEVILS (1929), however, is a lost film. Both SEVENTH HEAVEN and STREET ANGEL have been offered on VHS. Though these were not the best prints. I am not sure if LUCKY STARR has ever been on any form of official home video, or not?

Hello. You can find on ebay a vhs copy of SEVENTH HEAVEN for $14.99. Amazon has SEVENTH HEAVEN for $79.95 and STREET ANGEL for $49.95. I would recommend that you contact FORGOTTEN HOLLYWOOD 40 Alden Street, Fall River,MA 02723. They have a great collection of films. If you want good pictures and good reading I suggest CLASSIC IMAGES as well as FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE. Good luck....

Pfreidman,

Wait, There is no need to pay some outrageous price on Amazon! I just left you a "Private Message", a few minutes ago! Please read it first! Thanks!

I realize that this message was old, but hoping that you are still reading. My great uncle Johnnie Walker was in that film. My dad used to tell me about it when I was a child. It was one of the movies that he remembered and also Third Alarm, since John Walker played a fireman and his brother Bill was one. It ran in the family. I remember finding a copy in California, but they said I could go there to watch it. It is in their vaults.

If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it.

you can email me at jojo0319 at bellsouth.net

FrRonald: I was able to find the following information regarding Mary Carr and her role in Over the hill to the Poorhouse (1920). I think that it is interesting that she was only forty-six when she played the role of Ma Benton.

Carr.jpg

silent film actress Mary Carr

MARY CARR is the famous screen mother, whose work is known to millions of screen fans. "Screen mother" is not just an empty title, as there are six "little Carrs," some of whom are not so little either. The peak of Mrs. Carr's fine career was Over the Hill. Four of her children appeared in this picture. Some other well-known pictures in which she appeared are Thunderclap, Silver Wings, The Custard Cup and You are Guilty" She was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania. She is five feet, two inches tall, weighs 120 pounds, has blonde hair with greyish streaks, and blue eyes?Stars of the Photoplay 1924.

nla.mus-an9541761-s1-e

a songbook cover with an image of Mary Carr as Ma Benton in Over the Hill (1920).

jojo0319,

Wow! That's wonderful! All the information that I could find had indicated that this was a lost film! Thanks much for correcting us!

As for Johnnie Walker? He's your great Uncle? Hey several of his films are in circulation! I even have a few of them myself! Two that come quickly to mind are BROKEN HEARTS OF BROADWAY (1923), with Colleen Moore, and THE MATINEE IDOL (1928) with Bessie Love!

Karin,

Very nice Song-sheet. You continue to find some mighty precious stuff!

I have seen Barefoot Knees and I also watched Matinee Ido with French Subtitles. I found it on youtube from tubearcachon. He has a few clips that the French saved.

I also purchased Back Door to Heaven, but I couldnt find him in it. He was uncredited as an trustee. I am trying to locate Over the HIll to the poorhouse, thats the one that my father remembers. He is in a nursing home with Altzheimers, so I thought that might jingle his memory.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Sure hope that you find the film, I would be interested in a copy myself.

Do you mean BARE KNEES (1927) with Jane Winton, and Virginia Lee Corbin? I didn't remember Johnnie Walker being in that one? I guess He must have been though? You should be able to pick up THE MATINEE IDOL on DVD. It has been beautifully restored by Sony. I bought a copy about a year ago for only about $7.00.

Never heard of BACK DOOR TO HEAVEN though? I know I have a few more Johnnie Walker films, but the titles are eluding me at the moment?

I stand corrected. Yes Bare Knees. If you look at imdb , he has about 90 films.

thanks for the info.

Message was edited by: jojo0319

jojo0319, Karin,

On Silent Era. Com both OVER THE HILL, and FORBIDDEN HOURS, are still listed as lost films. But it has not been updated in about 4 years? It mentions a trailer surviving for FORBIDDEN HOURS, but the Status of the actual film itself is labeled as UNKNOWN. Yet the information you found mentioned a live screening back in 2002? So this is quite perplexing? The information appears contradictory.

Same thing with OVER THE HILL, which was a long movie at the time of 11 reels? "Survival Status, Unknown". As well as THE FLAMING FOREST (1926), which had some 2 Strip Technicolor sequences. Silent era.com didn't even have information on the number of reels that this picture contained? I wonder if any of these features still remain in their entirety??? It appears rather doubtful?

I'm afraid that Silent Era does not even list MAN AND MAID at all? The survival status of A MAN'S MATE (1924) with Gilbert, and Adoree, made at Fox, is also listed as Unknown. But I have heard it described before as a "presumed lost film". Sadly, most of Gilbert, Adoree, and Eleanor Boardman's features made at Fox, have not survived.

Ok, you might be right. I did research on my Great Uncle a few years ago and remembered contacting the american film institute in California and they had a copy for viewing, I thought it was Over the Hill. I will need to research my notes.

Everyone,

"OVER THE HILL" really intrigues me! I have been obsessed with it for about a year now, ever since Father Ronald first posted! This appears to have been a legitimate Blockbuster movie!? Very possibly the highest grossing Fox film of 1920, after Griffith's WAY DOWN EAST? Running for "extended seasons" not just in this Country, but in many others to boot! Yet even Silent film historians and preservationist's, seemingly have done nothing what so ever to resurrect this picture of any kind? It remains almost a complete mystery?

It would also appear that FOUR SONS owes allot to this movie as well? The "Mother Bernle" character seems to have been highly derivative of Mary Carr's "Ma Benton"? Leading me to believe that "OVER THE HILL" might have been a favorite of John Ford? I pray that a print has been preserved somewhere! It is not officially listed as being "Lost"? But "Status Unknown", is probably about the same thing?

I might note, I have been having some rather odd Flashbacks of memory for some reason? My Aunt Agnes who passed on in 1998, used to use the term "OVER THE HILL TO THE POORHOUSE" quite frequently! I am pretty sure that my Grandmother Lucile also used it from time to time! She passed away in 1990. I did not equate this to the post last year, but when I saw that this had been a Song, and the music sheet that Karin posted, it really triggered my recollections! Now I am determined to find out allot more about this sadly forgotten film that obviously touched millions, and millions of people all over the world!

Wanted to add that Mary Carr is superb as the sweet little old lady jailer who be-friends good girl gone bad Priscilla Bonner in THE RED KIMONA (1925). Also might mention that this movie is coming on a DVD from Kino for the first time in a couple weeks! So people who want to see Mary Carr, can see her in THE RED KIMONA! Priscilla Bonner who was precious as Harry Langdon's obsession Mary Brown in THE STRONG MAN (1926), and Clara Bow's friend with the Baby in IT (1927), is another very good reason to buy the DVD!

Over the Poorhouse was originally a poem written by Will Carleton around 1872. Will Carleton's poem inspired some to write songs about the poorhouse experience.

http://www.hillsdalecounty.info/history0053.asp

The original movie was in 1908 as a short film and Mack Sennett had the part of the bartender. Then it was remade in 1920 with Mary Carr. Many recording stars from Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs to Red And Frank Wakefield.

I am still researching my data, will keep updating site.

jojo0319,

Good Lord! This is a extremely long poem, and I am quite sure that the Song is very different? It has small relation, but my Grandma used to refer to anyone who was a little heavy and round as "Fatty Arbuckle"!

Grandma looked so much like Mary Carr does in the Song Sheet photo!

Ok, I did my research, it was not Over the Hill to the Poorhouse. These are the movies that they had. The archive does holds copies of "The Third Alarm" and "The Transcontinental

Limited". These films can be made available for onsite viewing. If you would

like to visit our Research and study Center for viewing please let me know.

UCLA Film & Television Archive