kjrwe

The Verdict (1946)

7 posts in this topic

Is anyone else a fan of this underrated locked-room mystery-noir?

Set in the late 1800s, a superintendent of Scotland Yard sends an innocent man to the gallows and he has to submit his resignation as a result, and he's replaced by a younger police officer. 

The murder victim was an elderly lady, and the new superintendent needs to figure out who really killed her. Meanwhile, the victim's nephew is found murdered in his bed, with the door and windows locked.

I love this gothic thriller, especially the complex ending. 

I don't think I've ever seen it. TCM doesn't show it too often. 

I notice Don Siegel directed-- it was an early assignment for him.

I don't think I've ever seen it. TCM doesn't show it too often. 

I notice Don Siegel directed-- it was an early assignment for him.

I have seen it and it is my least favorite of the 9 films the team of Greenstreet and Lorre did together but still worth a watch because of them.

• Like 1

I have seen it and it is my least favorite of the 9 films the team of Greenstreet and Lorre did together but still worth a watch because of them.

Why is it your least favourite? What does it lack compared to the other eight flicks?

Why is it your least favourite? What does it lack compared to the other eight flicks?

What the film lacks is suspense.   The film looks like what it is;  a quickly done film to showcase this team. 

Compare this to Three Strangers;  This film, also released in 1946,  is similar in mood but it has the underutilized and fantastic Geraldine Fitzgerald in a solid role.     The Verdict has Joan Lorring but the part isn't as well developed.

The other film where the team was the star, Mask of Dimitrios, included  WB contract player , Zachary Scott.  While the plot was somewhat confusing it was suspenseful with a great use of flashbacks.

The other films the team was in were first rate 'A' productions with leads like Bogie or Raft.    

• Like 1

What the film lacks is suspense.   The film looks like what it is;  a quickly done film to showcase this team. 

Compare this to Three Strangers;  This film, also released in 1946,  is similar in mood but it has the underutilized and fantastic Geraldine Fitzgerald in a solid role.     The Verdict has Joan Lorring but the part isn't as well developed.

The other film where the team was the star, Mask of Dimitrios, included  WB contract player , Zachary Scott.  While the plot was somewhat confusing it was suspenseful with a great use of flashbacks.

The other films the team was in were first rate 'A' productions with leads like Bogie or Raft.    

Interesting comment. I don't remember seeing the one with Zachary Scott either. Perhaps the studio was using scripts that had been rejected for the A-listers. Greenstreet and Lorre were kind of filling in until others got back from the war. 

The Verdict has a wonderful gothic feel to it, and the locked room story itself is very well done. The ending is quite complex and it's probably one of my favourite whodunit endings ever.

I saw Three Strangers once. Decent enough film, but I admit that I forgot it minutes after seeing it.

I really enjoyed The Mask of Dimitrios the two (or so) times I've seen it.

I'm probably one of the few lovers of classics & mysteries who can't get through any version of The Maltese Falcon.