spence

GWTW is on yet again for what must be the 22th time,but whitch overallis greater "Kane" or it?

10 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, I think Selznick's phenomenal civil war epic is such a grooundreaking-(especially the amazing Lee)

Even pd to go see it (3) timesin-(l987, 88 & Ithink last  time I attended was the 4:42min epic the area. For me onlythe middle sections weaken bit, albeit likely due to him, well-known female director director George Cukor

Then of course Victor Fleming rushback from a hospital after hearing they were doing fine withouthim!

Meryn LeRoy also stepped in.     The single largest full movie event in 15yrs since "Intolerance" & the year befire that was Griffith superior "Intolerance" (l9l6-)

VS. "Citizen Kane" (l94l RKO) it literally came out of nowhere, mainlydue to people already hating O,but he wasn; t plaing the Hollywood Game   Plus,his horrific 1938 broadcast in '38. & what may have been thee topper is"Rosebud" to be quaint, it had to do as a pet name for his lady Marion Davis!

It did still earn 9 noms & only 1 for it's script.   & prior to this Welles was invited to visit Hearts massive mansion, zoo,etc "SanSimeon" where the 2 got ito a argument about bullfighting & more

NOW "Kane"was been voted A #1 for 2 consecutive AFI Award **** finest film. & ever since 1962 it has lead in it's every another 19th Anniversary poll/survey-(UPODATE & this stuned allfoir 2012 "Vertigo" upset ut! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :P  :D

I don't like CITIZEN KANE, but I feel that while there may be films as good as GONE WITH THE WIND, none are better.

• Like 1

I believe TCM schedules "Gone With the Wind" two or three times per calendar year.  It is not like they scheduled this film in the way they scheduled "To Kill A Mockingbird" a few years ago.  "To Kill A Mockingbird" was scheduled every three weeks at one time which was much too often.  I believe "To Kill A Mockingbird" has been scheduled once this year maybe in February when they were showing Oscar films in alphabetical order.   

I much prefer "Gone With The Wind" to "Citizen Kane".  I like Citizen Kane, it's a well made clever movie with one of my favorite old school actors in Joe Cotten.  But, it's not as entertaining as GWTW and I don't need to watch Kane that often.

I can watch GWTW somewhat regularly, or at least as much as I can watch any four hour movie, and Clark Gable is one of my top old Hollywood players.  Neither of these films I would say are favorites of mine, there are a number of Gable films I like better, but GWTW is a cool watch.  

Shoulda' been first Hopkins,Duvall & most of all 91yr old Jerry Lewis first & foremost :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I don't like CITIZEN KANE, but I feel that while there may be films as good as GONE WITH THE WIND, nothing is better.

Don't care fpr the legendary "Kane?'   Please explain just why please?

"GFI" & "GFII" are my personal all-timers, but when it comes to respecting a picture even more, it's Welles masterpiece

I prefer Kane over GWTW.    The major reason being the silly so called romance between Rhett and Scarlett and because the movie really bogs down once they have a child.       

Don't care fpr the legendary "Kane?'   Please explain just why please?

"GFI" & "GFII" are my personal all-timers, but when it comes to respecting a picture even more, it's Welles masterpie

Nothing about its narrative grabs me.  It's a finely crafted film, to be sure, It just does nothing for me.  I dislike Wells.  I find everything about his performances, obvious, and fairly ponderous.  Of course, I'm not implying others should love the film or him, just saying I don't.  GONE WITH THE WIND still impresses, all these years later.  Remarkable performances from most of the cast, and for my money,  a cinematic masterpiece.

I'll admit that I've never seen Gone With the Wind all the way through, but I know all the famous scenes and lines, so I feel like I've seen it. I actually bought the film and wanted to watch it when we were experiencing some horrific downpour (which in Oregon, shouldn't be difficult), but it seems I've missed my chance.  We're looking at beautiful 80-degree weather for the next couple weeks here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. 

Anyway, I really like Citizen Kane and have a feeling I'd enjoy it more than GWTW.  It's hard for me to repeatedly watch movies that are really long.  Is anyone else like this? I love Orson Welles.  I find him really interesting and I could listen to him talk all day.  I think Kane has such a striking visual style and the acting and story are top rate.  Plus, the innovative camera angles and such make the film very interesting to watch.  I always notice something new when I see it. It's not my favorite film, but I do enjoy it. 

I'll admit that I've never seen Gone With the Wind all the way through, but I know all the famous scenes and lines, so I feel like I've seen it. I actually bought the film and wanted to watch it when we were experiencing some horrific downpour (which in Oregon, shouldn't be difficult), but it seems I've missed my chance.  We're looking at beautiful 80-degree weather for the next couple weeks here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. 

Anyway, I really like Citizen Kane and have a feeling I'd enjoy it more than GWTW.  It's hard for me to repeatedly watch movies that are really long.  Is anyone else like this? I love Orson Welles.  I find him really interesting and I could listen to him talk all day.  I think Kane has such a striking visual style and the acting and story are top rate.  Plus, the innovative camera angles and such make the film very interesting to watch.  I always notice something new when I see it. It's not my favorite film, but I do enjoy it.

For me , it doesn't matter if the film is short or long , I only watch it once every so often. Take Gone With The Wind for example. My favorite film and I love a lot of things about it, but simply put , it's too long to watch more than once every few months