Sign in to follow this  
ladyofshalott

Angel and the Badman!

21 posts in this topic

This is by far one of my favorite John Wayne movies! It is soo well acted, not only by John, but Harry Carey is his usual perfect self. The chemistry between Penny and Quirt is great and the Quaker religion is beautifully portrayed( their non-violent ways are particularly hard for the fiesty Quirt to adapt to). If anyone hasnt seen this movie yet, I highly recommend it!

Dawn

Thanks for reminding us about this great JW movie. TCM is showing it on May 23, 11:00am ET.

It'll be a repeat viewing for me, but I would really like to watch it again. :)

Dawn:

This is one of the more under rated Wayne movies. It's a wonderful little film. It's one I'm anxious for my daughter to see because of the effect Russell's character has on Wayne. Duke is good and Gail is wonderful (and beautiful). It's about love over coming.

My favorite scene is when he wakes up and the bit of flirting that goes on between them and then Gail's talk with the mother about her and her father. Part of Gail's charm is in her knowing she can reform Wayne. And so she does. It's delightful.

Chris

Chris:

I agree with everything you said. I especially like the very last line Harry Carey says " Only a man who carries a gun ever needs one". Oh and Waynes line as he sits in back of the wagon..." Im a farmer now " lol He is soo cute when he says that.

Just a real gem of a movie!

I too love Pennys effect on Quirt. She is so soft and gentle when speaking with him regarding her faith.

Dawn

[nobr]Hi Dawn! This is actually my favorite John Wayne movie of all. I have a real sentimental soft spot for it. I purchased the dvd from Harry Carey, Jr.'s website, which includes a little making of featurette. Duke produced this movie himself, as you may know. [/nobr]

[nobr]I think along with Maureen O'Hara, Gail Russell is my favorite of his leading ladies. She really brings out the tender, protective side of him---in fact she did so in real life. She said he was one of the only men in Hollywood who never tried to use her and he was a devoted friend to the fragile actress until her untimely death.[/nobr]

[nobr]

AngelandtheBadManstill.jpg[/nobr]

I saw 'Angel and the Badman' years ago, and I happened to pick it up on DVD at the dollar

store a couple of weeks ago. I'm just saving it for some time when there is nothing on

that I care to watch. I do recall it being a good part for Gail, because her whole attitude

in all the movies she did, was sweet innocence personified.

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl fixing margins, to make it readable

Sadly, this one is in the public domain... if you bought it at the dollar store the quality might not be as good as the print TCM will show next month...

I thought Gail Russell was sweet, and I'm glad to have read on these threads and elsewhere that the Duke was always kind and helpful to her....

SueSue,

According to the latest biography on Gene Autry which basically concludes that he was a good guy, who worked hard and whom Richard Schickel reminded us Angelenos in his review last Sunday, did more than other star to put his money where his mouth was in preserving history (the Autry National Center for the West), Autry had a long affair with Gail Russell.

What exactly happened to Gail Russell? Someone had mentioned that she died an untimely death. :( And what other movies did she star in with John Wayne?

Dawn:

The basic story is Gail drank herself to death. Someone wrote a very good post on her here somewhere (which I haven't found yet) that said she was not comfortable being an actress and didn't really want to be one. (For some reason I think the sudio wanted her to be the next Hedy Lamarr.)

She struggled with fright and then alcolholism whicj eventually killed her at age 36.

She also starred with Wayne in "Wake of The Red Witch."

Here's a link for you: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751149/bio

(I'll try and find the other post.)

Chris

[nobr]Here is the link to Mr. Carey's website, FYI:[/nobr]

[nobr]http://www.harrycareyjr.com/ [/nobr]

[nobr]As the other posters noted, Gail had a drinking problem. She was married for a time to the handsome actor Guy Madison, and though they divorced he did try to help her as much as he could. So did Duke, who made sure she had an income by giving her parts (7 Men from Now) or even buying things she needed. This kindness soon became twisted by his wife, Esperanza, into an "affair" (it never was, though many thought Gail was in love with Wayne) and it became a real scandal. [/nobr]

[nobr]In happier times, with Guy: [/nobr]

[nobr]

GailGuyMadisonatCiros.jpg

Yes, I've seen it.

It's from 1948 and is a pretty enjoyable sea yarn.

Gail Russell's character is in many ways the catalyst for much of what happens in the picture. Since you haven't seen it, I don't want to say much more. But I do recommend it.

I've seen it as well. It's not a movie that turns up very often but I think if you like these two it's worth seeing. Wayne is certainly in a different element.

You mentioned your view of older actors not seeming to have problems like today's stars- well, they did. In many cases their problems were easier to conceal. There were drinking problems, affairs, brushes with the law. The studios were often able to hide them.