spence

(TRIVIA CONTEST: Try ^& name almost all Boxing films???

18 posts in this topic

Not to be needed in any order & as most know Hollywood has covered the sport of professional boxing by far more then any other'

See just how many Boxing flix you can name???

& again, in any order

Just to start the gloves running, my top 5 to 10-(just for me)>

1st Raging Bull (l980)-(also must be ranked among the 10 greatest in any genre!)

2. Million Dollar Baby" (2004)

3. Cinderella Man (-05)

4. Rocky (l976)

5th The Set-Up (l949-RKO)

THANX

Seven other Sylvester Stallone movies about boxing:

1. "Rocky II" (1979)

2. "Rocky III" (1982)

3. "Rocky IV" (1985)

4. "Rocky V" (1990)

5. "Rocky Balboa" (2006)

6. "Grudge Match" (2013, with Robert De Niro)

7. "Creed" (2015)

• Like 1

Seven other Sylvester Stallone movies about boxing:

1. "Rocky II" (1979)

2. "Rocky III" (1982)

3. "Rocky IV" (1985)

4. "Rocky V" (1990)

5. "Rocky Balboa" (2006)

6. "Grudge Match" (2013, with Robert De Niro)

7. "Creed" (2015)

I meanin motion picturehistory, good or bad one's

My 6th would be Body and Soul (l947)  theat yrs boxing mastrice is often regarded amongall-time best & in any genre!  Garfieldearned a 2nd nomination for it, but during the shoot & later on the studio absolutely refusedto let him run, due to his scarlett fever

I meanin motion picturehistory, good or bad one's

My 6th would be Body and Soul (l947)

Well, then there are:

1. "The Champ" (1931)

2. "Kid Galahad" (1937)

3. "Gentleman Jim" (1942)

4. "Champion"  (1949).

5. "The Joe Louis Story" (1953)

6. "The Harder They Fall" (1956)

7. "Requiem for a Heavyweight" (1962)

8. "The Great White Hope" (1970)

1083_043237-560x506.jpg

9. "Fat City" (1972)

10. "The Greatest" (1977)

11. "The Hurricane" (1999)

12. "Ali" (2001)

• Like 1

Well, then there are:

1. "The Champ" (1931) My rating, hope it's cool, let me know) (***1/2-out of four)-(TRIVIA:Beery under AMPAS by laws was under 1 vote behind  March in "Jekyll & Hyde")

Whatab

iut1979's version though?

2. "Kid Galahad" (1937)-(**1/2)

3. "Gentleman Jim" (1942)-(THREE CHEERSE FOR US "IRISH"   & all-time taken for granted Ward Bond truly deserved a s. actor nom.)

lievered an Oscar nomination as John J. Sullivan

W IRISH! (***1/2

4. "Champion"  (1949) (***1.2 (you know my feeing about Kirk, but he gave a volcanic per.. & must also

admit he scored his 1st of 3 Oscar shot for this)

WonFilmEditing, as many boxingflixdo)

5. "The Joe Louis Story" (1953)-(Saw some of it at beast?)-(this was the yr "The Rocky slammed hi

m too)

6. "The Harder They Fall" (1956)-(many historians actually rank this over severa

lboxoing films, even The Set-Up &Harder the Fall  course mostly known death Bogart's sawn-song-(75 film) But there is a nassive giant &fighter that can't even break an egg & has a g

leass jaws-(Mike Lane)

rank this even over "Rocky:   Mostyl known for Bogart's sawanswong (***1/2) & A HAPPY ENDING BY SERLING)

7. "Requiem for a Heavyweight" (1962)-(TRIVIA: Checkout the 1953 tv kiniscope too) Jack Palance, Edd & Keenen Wynn were oin hand)

8. "The Great White Hope" (1970)-(strangely  still & at 86, sole shot at an Academy

Awardr As for J. Jones she also

iincredble!)

qaward for Jones> JaneAkexabder richaly deserved her shotthough-(DEPRESSING!)

1083_043237-560x506.jpg

9. "Fat City" (1972)-(***12   John Huston's very sad story on takedownj, slumpfighters

sadakeon tanktownboserrs

10. "The Greatest" (1977)(*1/2) another OI only got to see thepoostersa ThrGarden,But,BOTGNINE as Dubduue>

12. "Ali" (2001)

Jajkemk, told you back back onthis one-(NOTE: MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH DID YOUGT SOME OF MY SECRETS ON MADONNA>   Darn computer was acting wacky   Tonn't your fondly The Holltwood Roosevelt Hotel-(l926--) where & thiswas astunner, no make-up or anything   I LOVE HER ANYWAY  She had entire half of the massive bldg. blocked ioff with her face on it!  It was in 2007!   Have several shots of it, uinluding her sec on Walls-of-Fame  Other areas are NATALIEWOOD, TRQACY, SINATRA, mAPS & SOUVENIUS I GOT EHREN ON THERE THOSE 3 TRUPS  TONY OF OVER 150 MOVIE BOOKS, TCM JAZZ,etc

Just thought you'd like to know & again write

(jeffshannon 59 @gmailm)   St. Pete" (l985) &Tampa FL.  Can you believe she's only been down here in this godforsaken place (1985) & man, man, o, man wanted to go see her in Tampa(RH tour) too much money though

JAKEEM, know what a friend gave me once for Christmas  the entire-(2 end  Big DVD

uings)  from 1969, Marciano died only hrs later. Even he still living bro said he had all-this money in the bank, but would bumrides, planes,etc   He wouldn't even carry loose change in his pocket   But, the 2 pt dvd is neat, thought Rocky is wearing a toupee    Ali& him got along famously, debit: the sound smacking & ringside was smaller   YOU'D STILL

LIKE IT TRUSE ME ACURIO  & now online & a lot cheaper CALLED "SUPERFIGHT"

TALE OF THE TAPE VS COMPUTER MATCH:        5'101/2                                                                                      

Avg weight then: 200bs up from185

Nationality: Italian

Brockton, Mass

Record 49 & 0

Avg weigh then: 210lbs at beast

Nationality: Black

Louville, Kentufky 1/2

Record: then he hadn't lost yey, Ithinkl

Has posters,the works

(Part #1)  Welp, Jakeem, I gave my word  when you geta few minutes,or just savethese westernstatestfoir another townwn T

kd

&thoiughtthere are just farrr toommediocrew WESTERNS &nonwestern toDieit & themupk

???

What happened to ROCKY and THE CINDERELLA MAN?

Sepiatone

Well, Rocky is still alive & kicking at 71, but  JamesJ. Braddock-(l905-72) died suddenly around 1972   But his main nemesis Max Baer-(l909-59) only hit age 50, to many ladies, booze & partying   NOTE: He was in several films & tv shows thought yrs  later "Abbott & Costello Show"-(l952-54) "The Harder TheyFall" (l956)  "Prizefighter & the Lady" in '34 & more  Jethro on B. Hillbillis is his son

I was asking about the MOVIES, not the actual boxers.  But getting a bit "trivial" here....

It wasn't until about 10 years ago, while watching some profile about the actual JACK JOHNSON(portrayed brilliantly by JAMES EARL JONES in "The Great White Hope")  that I found out that actor and oft film nemesis of John Wayne VICTOR McLAGLEN was once a professional boxer who once fought Johnson.  I think he lost.

Sepiatone

Here goes, a kinda' test,etc I promidsed fellow boxing buff & challenged to all other so called TCMiTES, to only list Hollywood boxing pictures--(No * Oscars

& in no speaclorder, They can dateback to the 1890's if you like order)     (FILL IN THE BLANKS PLEASE ON CHAMPS I HADTO SKIP& ANALYSI)

(EXAMPLE: I've watched these a couple of times Jack Johnson vs. James J. Jeffries"-(Johnson won)

Even footage available with

the massive & future *Oscar winner Victor McLaglen vs, Johnson & despite Vic's size then 235lbs ^ 6-3 & 1.2 Johnson made mince-mid of him & weighed ap avg of 192 & 6'0 

&before I get the the boxers, you recall s a grand guy that died much  to early-(espn & other netork,author too!) Bert Suglar-(l937-2012) passed away. His signature was a fedora a cigar. His vote ever Sugar Ray Robinson & wore  in 1923 but with Dempsey & Firpo Dempsey knockedhim down 11 times & Finally threw him from the canvas

Othersthe huge Jess Willard at 6'6 & 260lbs upset the worlds'forst black heavyweight chamoi in JackJoihnson-(l9l5)

& THE BEST OF THE REST-(check on whoever?)

James J. Jeffries (l875-l953)6'2 & was over 330lbs but got down to about 202 to try & upset Johnson aka "The Great White Hope"

Jack Dempsey(l895-l983)n6'1. 192lbs

GeneTunney (l897-l978) 6'0&187lbs

Primo Carnera (l906-67) 6'6 260lbs

Max Baer-(l909-l959)  6'3 & 1/2 195lbs

James J. Braddock (l906-l972)  6'2 & 199

Joe Louis (l9l4-l98l)6'2. 202lbs-(TRIVIA: Only & only heavyweight champion to hold that crown

for 12yrs-(1937-49)

Rocky Marciano (l923-l969) was 5'10 & 1/2 & 185lbs-(TRIVIA: "The Rocks" record still olds today, undefeated at 49 & 0)-(& was killed an an airplane crash in 1969)

Floyd Patterson (l935-?) was 6'0& 190lbs

Ingemar Johannson (l932-?) 6'1 & 205

Floyd Patterson

Sonny Liston" (l932-71) 6'1 & over 215lbs

Cassius Clay 6'3 & 1/2 & then 210lbs, later 225

(NOTE: To the government they stripped Ali's title for 4rs)

Joe Frazier (l944-2011) 5'11 & approx. 215lbs

Ali vs.  Frazier 1   Even Sinatra needed press pass to join ringside

George Foreman (l948-) & 224lbs

Muhammad Ali

Ali vs Frazier "The Rumble in the Jungle" in '75 &  my vote as the greatest bout ever!

It was the undoing of Joe, but Ali just kept going

Ali fought a nobody by the name of Leon Spinks-(l956-205lbs The brotherof futurechampion MichaelSpinks

only he fought a young Larry Holmes & was defeated in 1980 & more of course, fill in the blanks

I do know about 37yrs of studying fighters our current heaveight champion-(TyrsonFury) is a hulking & foolish JOKE!

AGAIN, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LIST ANOTHER OTHERS IN HISTORY-(no matter wgt condiction)

(P.S. I got a telephone book size on history of boozing by Nat Fleischer ALLFANS MUST GET IT  Mine's a bit datenow

• Like 1

Hopefully this absolutely all-time battle royal hasn't mention yet, but the 3-(especialy #1) must be 5rated amonjgthegreatest match ever-(pd-pd)

Arturo Gatti vs. Mickey Ward-(not only likes old 1950's classic matches,goes even further & TRIVIA: Ward was the vocal pointof

theterrific Oscar victor for 2009 "THEFIGHTER" (***1/2) $91m.) THESETWOHADWARS!!!

& his older ex fighter & crack head was confusingeverying ^ chaos into trouble (Chrisian Bale-(owner).8

":The Fighter"

FINAL ANALYSIS: Gatti won 2 & Mickey won 1-(think they stunningly fought 4 times!)her so

nbarely won 1 victory Mickey 1 &Gatti 2!

1 > There was also a tv hbo movie of this entire episode iefinitely worth a look''(P.S. Then the strangest thinghappened A. Gatti loved to party with hookers & druggie gals. Onne of whichcC cocked himtdeath)

It was 52 years ago today...

$(KGrHqZ,!nYE8ZG)MF(JBPqJTvv+Gg~~60_58.J

WOW! could we lmine leaveout 2 of the moetroverialmatchesinthe inn maybe allos sportssport

The BizarroPunch Punch by Clay &Liston seemingway just laynggown-(Sonnywasknown to be nixeup with the mob sincehildhood?)

Butthenin the Rutth Match-(a 2nd fight) Liston justrefused t0come out?

• Like 1

I had toad this0one op &in, & althuoght it;sboxingreally in the sport,

virtually all fighters have oroclaime that ERNIE SHAVERS had the single hardest punch n history story-(they evendidca punchstateon him in the late 1970;s)

Problembeing Sharvers had a glass jaw & was never chanp''Ke knocked Muhammad Ali ak over the ring & Larry Holmes too!

Judging by your TYPING he must have hit YOU pretty hard too!  :)

Sepiatone

Well, then there are:

1. "The Champ" (1931)

2. "Kid Galahad" (1937)

3. "Gentleman Jim" (1942)

4. "Champion"  (1949).

5. "The Joe Louis Story" (1953)

6. "The Harder They Fall" (1956)

7. "Requiem for a Heavyweight" (1962)

8. "The Great White Hope" (1970)

1083_043237-560x506.jpg

9. "Fat City" (1972)

10. "The Greatest" (1977)

12. "Ali" (2001)

Love Gentleman Jim for many reasons including that Flynn looked great in the ring but also because my father met John L. Sullivan in person and said the portrayal in the film was right on. My dad owned a carte de visite from Sullivan that was personally autographed and I still have it. 

• Like 1

How about CHARLES BRONSON's "Hard Times" ('75).  That's a sort of kinda boxing movie, I guess....  :huh:

Sepiatone