Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

RKO LOST&FOUND - Stingaree / Living On Love / A Man To Remember

10 posts in this topic

So which of the last 3 "Lost and Found" RKO movies are you looking forward to the most this Wednesday night?

For me, it would be Stingaree, both because it's a musical and because it stars Irene Dunne. Not to mention that you don't see too many movies about Australian bandits who are also composers! B-)

Here are links to the TCM article for each movie:

Stingaree

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=160520

Living on Love

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=160521

A Man to Remember

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=160522

Stingaree, since the other 2 are remakes of last weeks' films I've allready seen. I'll probably record those to view some other time. I'm glad Stingaree is on first.

Stingaree, since the other 2 are remakes of last weeks' films I've allready seen. I'll probably record those to view some other time. I'm glad Stingaree is on first.

Yes, I also thought that it would be less rewarding to watch the 2 remakes since we just saw the originals last week... :|

I'm looking forward to all three, but since Irene Dunne never disappoints, Stingaree may have the edge. ;)

You have to see "A Man To Remember" it is far superior to "One Man's Journey". Despite it's B-picture origins it was a huge financial and critical success for RKO in 1938. The New York Times named it as one of it's top 10 picks for 1938. Edward Ellis should have been nominated for Best Actor .... he's that good in the picture!!

Message was edited by:

MGMWBRKO

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to be sure I get it on tape if I can't stay up to watch it. I did enjoy Lionel Barrymore's version, so it will be interesting to compare. I like the subject.

That recommendation sure makes it sound like a winner B-)

Kudos again to TCM's very fine programmers, for bringing these wonderful movies to our homes. :)

Boy, that's rare for a remake (and a B movie remake at that) to be that good. I'll be sure to tape it for viewing some other time.....

Living on Love sounds suspiciously like Rafter Romance, except in this instance the shared apartment is in the basement. I hope I get a chance to see at least a bit of it to make a comparison.

jdb1, as the TCM article explained, it *is* a remake, and it illustrates the differences that were brought about by the Code as well as the success of screwball comedies:

Taking over the roles played in the original by Ginger Rogers and Norman Foster are Whitney Bourne, whose career as an RKO actress was limited to the mid- to late-1930s; and James Dunn, who enjoyed a 40-year film and TV career and won an Oscar? for 1945's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Other changes include the fact that the apartment is in a basement, not an attic, and the young woman's day job is selling electric shavers rather than refrigerators. The general tone reflects the influence of screwball comedy, which had become dominant in the four years separating the films. And the fact that the film industry began enforcing its self-imposed Production Code in 1934 meant that the later film lacks some of the more free-wheeling qualities of the original. Otherwise, Living on Love is quite faithful as a remake.