Sign in to follow this  
ladyofshalott

John Waynes..."Island In The Sky"...

5 posts in this topic

I love this little known/under appreciated film of John Waynes. I think it is soo different than what we are used to seeing John in. Great plot line and nicely acted by a good supporting cast! I love the part where he is looking to the sky to hopefully see the rescue plane and he says " We must be awful hard to see down here"...and he has such an emotion look and sound to his voice...just a brillant snippet of acting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045919/

I was laid up with a broken ankle when Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty were re-released in 2005. The cable in my room only had 3 channels, with one being movies, and I was forced to watch these two repeatedly for 3 months.

Although it is different than any other Wayne film, Island.. didn't appeal to me. The High and the Mighty however.. I liked this one - probably because it's similar to Airplane! (I hadn't seen Zero Hour! 1957 yet).

I had just the opposite effect. I felt "Island" was good but "The High and The Mighty" was a little too predictable and long. Maybe the predictable part comes from seeing all the other airplane movies first.

ISLAND is a favorite because of Wayne's strongly-delivered almost-tearful scenes, so rare are those in his career.  It's also got the huge cast - like he phoned up a lot of pals and said, "Got anything going on this month?  Well... I could use ya..."

HIGH & MIGHTY felt sort of a rip-off of ZERO HOUR, but it's actually the other way around.  It's such a shame that I was tainted/poisoned by seeing the second-film first. 

Perhaps these (along with LIFEBOAT, ABANDON SHIP, IN WHICH WE SERVE, ICE COLD IN ALEX) were just the beginning of disaster films.  Holy SAN ANDREAS, Batman!!

I'm rather thankful that those directors used Real Sets instead of CGI.