LonesomePolecat

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #36

74 posts in this topic

Wow, CinemaInternational-- a great schedule right out of the gate! Gene Tierney is long overdue and Rin Tin Tin must have a lot to say. Lots of great programming here, especially the skiing and noir. How brilliant to use Star Wars to make an extensive study of Sci Fi movies! And thanks for showing my two favorite Disney Animated films--Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio. Both are masterpieces of different flavors.

The gauntlet is thrown!

• Like 1

Good. I thought when you said classic Disney movies you meant ones like Pinocchio and Mary Poppins and the like. I thought that a Disney films released in 1991 might not gel with the usual TCM programming.

Hey, if TCM can show movies from the 90s, why can't we? Plus even Leonard Maltin has scheduled some Disney stuff from the 80s or later, so there you go.

Wow, CinemaInternational-- a great schedule right out of the gate! Gene Tierney is long overdue and Rin Tin Tin must have a lot to say. Lots of great programming here, especially the skiing and noir. How brilliant to use Star Wars to make an extensive study of Sci Fi movies! And thanks for showing my two favorite Disney Animated films--Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio. Both are masterpieces of different flavors.

The gauntlet is thrown!

And thank you so much for your kind words. :) In a way, I'm kind of surprised that it came together given that all of it was crafted in less than 24 hours....

• Like 2

I wanted to include a Studio Ghibli movie, but the rights to the English versions are owned by Disney. Can I still include the original Japanese version or would that be against the rules of the challenge?

I wanted to include a Studio Ghibli movie, but the rights to the English versions are owned by Disney. Can I still include the original Japanese version or would that be against the rules of the challenge?

I believe Studio Ghibli movies are fine because they've been shown on TCM before as part of a Hayao Miyazaki tribute.

• Like 2

The Librarians is a particularly clever theme, and I love your including Foul Play as part of that theme. "No one can be too careful these days, Gloria." Rin Tin Tin is an exceptional guest programmer, and I'm delighted that he included Deep Valley. I'd like to see those rare Paramount 1930s films, too.

• Like 3

I could never say no to Ghibli! Many of those Ghiblis have been shown before anyway.

• Like 1

I know you said we were allowed to include up to 12 premieres. But how many exempt premieres are we allowed to include?

I know you said we were allowed to include up to 12 premieres. But how many exempt premieres are we allowed to include?

The limit is as follows:

2 in How to Goofy

3 in Star Wars

2 on SOTM

Unlimited in Disney Vault

I meant for the part of the schedule outside of the challenges. I'm showing a few non-Disney shorts in-between that are considered exempt premieres and this number currently totals 15 including the whole of Disney Vault.

For example. For non-Disney short films, do we put that they are exempt premieres or do we not count them as premieres at all? I really need to make sure that my schedule looks right.

I meant for the part of the schedule outside of the challenges. I'm showing a few non-Disney shorts in-between that are considered exempt premieres and this number currently totals 15 including the whole of Disney Vault.

For example. For non-Disney short films, do we put that they are exempt premieres or do we not count them as premieres at all? I really need to make sure that my schedule looks right.

You don't have to include short films on your list of premieres (exempt or non-exempt). 

In case you don't already know this, premieres for Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports and TCM Underground are exempt. 

Moderator, please pin this thread!  Thanks!

I asked TCMProgramr to pin it as soon as I posted it-- I don't know why it hasn't been pinned. I noticed they didn't pin it, but didn't want to keep sending messages. I guess it's been long enough to send them another message--I didn't want to act like I was hanging on the doorbell, as it were.

Any premieres count against the limit I set EXCEPT Silent Sunday Nights, Imports, Underground, and any short films.

SPEEDRACER'S SCHEDULE

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Daytime Theme: “…Give Us Dirty Laundry…”

6:00am THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT (1956) Gregory Peck, Jennifer Jones, Fredric March. Dir. Nunnally Johnson. Fox. 152 mins. (p/s).

8:45am DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE (1965) Vincent Price, Frankie Avalon, Dwayne Hickman. Dir. Norman Taurog. American International Pictures. 90 mins. (p/s)

10:15am THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON (1942) Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Arthur Kennedy. Dir. Raoul Walsh. Warner Brothers. 138 mins. (p/s).

12:45pm MOTHER WORE TIGHTS (1947) Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, Mona Freeman. Dir. Walter Lang. Fox. 107 mins. (p/s).

2:45pm THE MAN WITH A CLOAK (1951) Joseph Cotten, Barbara Stanwyck, Louis Calhern. Dir. Fletcher Markle. MGM. 81 mins. (p/s).

4:15pm PETTICOAT FEVER (1936) Robert Montgomery, Myrna Loy, Reginald Owen. Dir. Geo. Fitzmaurice. MGM. 80 mins. (p/s).

5:45pm TOP HAT (1935) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton. Dir. Mark Sandrich. RKO. 100 mins. (p/s)

7:30pm MGM PARADE SHOW #30 (1955) 25 mins. Short.

PRIMETIME: Bob Hope & Paulette Goddard

8:00pm THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939) Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, John Beal. Dir. Elliott Nugent. Paramount. 72 mins. (p/s).

9:15pm THE GHOST BREAKERS (1940) Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, Richard Carlson. Dir. George Marshall. Paramount. 82 mins. (p/s).

10:45pm NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (1941) Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, Edward Arnold. Dir. Elliott Nugent. Paramount. 89 mins. (p/s).

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT- Laurel & Hardy

12:15am PUTTING PANTS ON PHILLIP (1927) Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel, Charles A. Bachman. Dir. Clyde Bruckman. MGM. 19 mins. (p/s)

12:45am DOUBLE WHOOPEE (1929) Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel, Jean Harlow. Dir. Lewis R. Foster. MGM. 20 mins. (p/s).

1:15am BACON GRABBERS (1929) Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel, Jean Harlow. Dir. Lewis R. Foster. MGM. 20 mins. (premiere).

1:45am BIG BUSINESS (1929) Oliver Hardy, Stan Laurel, James Finlayson. Dir. Leo McCarey. MGM. 20 mins. (p/s).

TCM IMPORTS- French Musicals

2:15am THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG (1964) Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon. Dir. Jacques Demy. Madeline Films. 90 mins. (p/s).

3:45am THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (1968) Catherine Deneuve, Francoise Dorleac, George Chakiris. Dir. Jacques Demy. Madeline Films. 125 mins. (p/s).

Monday, May 21, 2018

DAYTIME THEME: “Birds of a Feather Flock Together”

6:00 THE RAVEN (1935) Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lester Matthews. Dir. Louis Friedlander. Universal. 60 mins. (p/s).

7:00am THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre. Dir. John Huston. Warner Brothers. 100 mins. (p/s).

8:45am THE BIRDS (1963) Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Jessica Tandy. Dir. Alfred Hitchock. Universal. 120 mins. (p/s).

10:45am DUCK SOUP (1933) Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx. Dir. Leo McCarey. Paramount. 70 mins. (p/s).

12:00pm FLAMINGO ROAD (1949) Joan Crawford, Zachary Scott, Sydney Greenstreet. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 94 mins. (p/s).

1:45pm FATHER GOOSE (1964) Cary Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard. Dir. Ralph Nelson. Universal. 115 mins. (p/s).

3:45pm THE SEA HAWK (1940) Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, Claude Rains. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 127 mins. (p/s).

6:00pm BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963) Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margret. Dir. George Sidney. Columbia. 112 mins. (p/s).

PRIMETIME THEME: SOTM--Ann Blyth

8:00pm MILDRED PIERCE (1945) Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Ann Blyth. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 109 mins. (p/s).

10:00pm MR PEABODY AND THE MERMAID (1948) William Powell, Ann Blyth, Irene Hervey. Dir. Irving Pichel. Universal. 89 mins. (p/s).

11:30pm A WOMAN’S VENGEANCE (1948) Charles Boyer, Ann Blyth, Jessica Tandy. Dir. Zoltan Korda. Universal. 95 mins. (premiere).

1:15am ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST (1948) Fredric March, Dan Duryea, Ann Blyth. Dir. Michael Gordon. Universal. 106 mins. (p/s).

3:15am KILLER MCCOY (1947) Mickey Rooney, Brian Donlevy, Ann Blyth. Dir. Roy Rowland. MGM. 102 mins. (p/s).

5:00am HOLLYWOOD: THE DREAM FACTORY (1972). Dick Cavett. (p/s). 51 mins.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Daytime Theme: “Sorry, My Dance Card is Full”

6:00am MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) Judy Garland, Margaret O’Brien, Mary Astor. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 112 mins. (p/s).

8:00am THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR (1942) Ginger Rogers, Ray Milland, Rita Johnson. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 100 mins. (p/s).

9:45am CALAMITY JANE (1953) Doris Day, Howard Keel, Allyn McLerie. Dir. David Butler. Warner Brothers. 100 mins. (p/s).

11:30am SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944) Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten. Dir. John Cromwell. Selznick International Pictures. 172 mins. (p/s)

2:30pm THE HEIRESS (1949) Olivia de Havilland, Montgomery Clift, Ralph Richardson. Dir. William Wyler. Paramount. 115 mins. (p/s).

4:30pm DADDY LONG LEGS (1955) Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron, Terry Moore. Dir. Jean Negulesco. Fox. 126 mins. (p/s).

6:45pm HOLLYWOOD, MY HOMETOWN (1965) Ken Murray. 54 mins. (p/s)

7:45pm SCENIC OREGON (1943) 10 mins. (p/s)

PRIMETIME THEME: 30th Anniversary of National Film Registry

8:00pm CASABLANCA (1942) Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 99 mins. (p/s)

9:45pm MODERN TIMES (1936) Charles Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Henry Bergman. Dir. Charles Chaplin. United Artists. 87 mins. (p/s).

11:15pm SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (1952) Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, Debbie Reynolds. Dir. Gene Kelly & Stanley Donen. MGM. 102 mins. (p/s).

1:00am SUNSET BLVD. (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich Von Stroheim. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 109 mins. (p/s)

3:00am VERTIGO (1958) James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount. 120 mins. (p/s).

5:00am THE KID (1921) Charles Chaplin, Jackie Coogan, Edna Purviance. Dir. Charles Chaplin. Charles Chaplin Productions. 53 mins. (p/s).

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Daytime Theme: “…That’s the Broadway Melody…!”

6:00am BROADWAY MELODY OF 1936 (1935) Jack Benny, Eleanor Powell, Robert Taylor. Dir. Roy Del Ruth. MGM. 102 mins. (p/s).

7:45am BROADWAY MELODY OF 1938 (1937) Robert Taylor, Eleanor Powell, Buddy Ebsen. Dir. Roy Del Ruth. MGM. 110 mins. (p/s).

9:45am BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940 (1940) Fred Astaire, Eleanor Powell, George Murphy. Dir. Norman Taurog. MGM. 100 mins. (p/s).

Daytime Theme: Starring Dorothy McGuire

11:30am CLAUDIA (1943) Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young, Ina Claire. Dir. Edmund Goulding. Fox. 90 mins. (premiere).

1:00pm THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE (1945) Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young, Herbert Marshall. Dir. John Cromwell. RKO. 91 mins. (p/s).

2:45pm A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN (1945) Dorothy McGuire, Joan Blondell, James Dunn. Dir. Elia Kazan. Fox. 128 mins. (p/s).

5:00pm MISTER 880 (1950) Burt Lancaster, Dorothy McGuire, Edmund Gwenn. Dir. Edmund Goulding. Fox. 90 mins. (p/s).

6:30pm THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946) Dorothy McGuire, George Brent, Ethel Barrymore. Dir. Robert Siodmak. RKO. 83 mins. (p/s)

PRIMETIME THEME: Guest Programmer, Bandleader/Actor Ricky Ricardo

8:00pm THE LONG, LONG TRAILER (1954) Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Marjorie Main. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 95 mins. (p/s).

9:45pm YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942) Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth, Adolphe Menjou. Dir. William A. Seiter. Columbia. 98 mins. (p/s).

11:30pm THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN (1949) Errol Flynn, Viveca Lindfors, Robert Douglas. Dir. Vincent Sherman. Warner Brothers. 110 mins. (p/s).

1:30am NIAGARA (1953) Marilyn Monroe, Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters. Dir. Henry Hathaway. Fox. 88 mins. (p/s).

3:00am RIVER OF NO RETURN (1954) Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe, Rory Calhoun. Dir. Otto Preminger. Fox. 90 mins. (p/s).

4:30am WE’RE NOT MARRIED! (1952) Ginger Rogers, Fred Allen, Marilyn Monroe. Dir. Edmund Goulding. Fox. 85 mins. (premiere).

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Daytime Theme: Goofy Challenge, “How to be a Detective.”

6:00am NANCY DREW, DETECTIVE (1938) Bonita Granville, John Litel, James Stephenson. Dir. William Clemens. Warner Brothers. 60 mins. (p/s).

7:00am FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK (1941) Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, Ralph Bellamy. Dir. Lloyd Bacon. Warner Brothers. 93 mins. (p/s).

8:45am HOW TO BE A DETECTIVE (1952) Goofy. Disney. 6 mins. (short).

9:00am REAR WINDOW (1954) James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount. 112 mins. (p/s).

11:00am LADY OF BURLESQUE (1943) Barbara Stanwyck, Michael O’Shea, Iris Adrian. Dir. William A. Wellman. United Artists. 89 mins. (p/s).

Daytime Theme: Star Wars, “I’ve Got a Bad Feeling About This”

12:30pm WHAT’S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore, Dom DeLuise. Dir. George Seaton. Universal. 94 min. (premiere).

2:15pm THIS HAPPY FEELING (1958) Debbie Reynolds, Curt Jurgens, John Saxon. Dir. Blake Edwards. Universal. 92 mins. (premiere).

4:00pm THAT CERTAIN FEELING (1956) Bob Hope, Eva Marie Saint, George Sanders. Dir. Norman Panama. Paramount. 102 mins. (premiere).

5:45pm THAT FUNNY FEELING (1965) Sandra Dee, Bobby Darin, Donald O’Connor. Dir. Richard Thorpe. Universal. 93 mins. (p/s).

7:30pm CRUISE OF THE ZACA (1952) Errol Flynn. Short. 17 mins.

PRIMETIME THEME: Spaghetti in the Movies

8:00pm CITY LIGHTS (1931) Charles Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill, Florence Lee. Dir. Charles Chaplin. United Artists. 87 mins. (p/s)

9:30pm THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE (1941) James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, Rita Hayworth. Dir. Raoul Walsh. Warner Brothers. 97 mins. (p/s).

11:15pm THE APARTMENT (1960) Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray. Dir. Billy Wilder. United Artists. 124 mins. (p/s).

1:30am A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935) Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx. Dir. Sam Wood. MGM. 90 mins. (p/s)

3:00am NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950) Richard Widmark, Gene Tierney, Googie Withers. Dir. Jules Dassin. Fox. 95 mins. (p/s).

4:45am SAPS AT SEA (1940) Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, James Finlayson. Dir. Gordon Douglas. United Artists. 57 mins. (p/s)

5:45am SCENIC GRANDEUR (1941) 8 mins. Short. (p/s).

Friday, May 25, 2018

Daytime Theme: Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

6:00am DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944) Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 106 mins. (p/s).

8:00am THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956) Charlton Heston, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson. Dir. Cecil B. DeMille. Paramount. 219 mins. (p/s).

11:45am WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (1962) Laurence Harvey, Jane Fonda, Anne Baxter. Dir. Edward Dmytryk. Columbia. 114 mins. (p/s)

1:45pm KLUTE (1971) Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Roy Scheider. Dir. Alan J. Pakula. Warner Brothers. 114 mins. (p/s).

3:45pm ALL THAT JAZZ (1979) Roy Scheider, Jessica Lange, John Lithgow. Dir. Bob Fosse. Fox. 123 mins. (premiere).

6:00pm FOOTLOOSE (1984) Kevin Bacon, Lori Singer, John Lithgow. Dir. Herbert Ross. Paramount. 110 mins. (premiere).

PRIMETIME THEME: Happy Birthday Jeanne Crain!

8:00pm PINKY (1949) Jeanne Crain, Ethel Barrymore, Ethel Waters. Dir. Elia Kazan. Fox. 101 mins. (p/s).

9:45pm THE TATTERED DRESS (1957) Jeff Chandler, Jeanne Crain, Jack Carson. Universal. 93 mins. (premiere).

11:30pm VICKI (1953) Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, Elliott Reid. Dir. Harry Horner. Fox. 85 mins (premiere).

1:00am DANGEROUS CROSSING (1953) Jeanne Crain, Michael Rennie, Casey Adams. Dir. Joseph M. Newman. Fox. 75 mins. (p/s).

2:15am LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain. Dir. John M. Stahl. Fox. 110 mins. (p/s).

4:15am A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949) Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell, Ann Sothern. Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Fox. 101 mins. (p/s).

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Daytime Theme: Power of the Press!

6:00am CITIZEN KANE (1941) Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore, Agnes Moorehead. Dir. Orson Welles. RKO. 119 mins. (p/s).

8:00am HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy. Dir. Howard Hawks. Columbia. 92 mins. (p/s).

9:45am DEADLINE--U.S.A (1952) Humphrey Bogart, Ethel Barrymore, Kim Hunter. Dir. Richard Brooks. Fox. 87 mins. (p/s)

11:15am FRONT PAGE WOMAN (1935) Bette Davis, George Brent, Roscoe Karns. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 81 mins. (p/s)

12:45pm ACE IN THE HOLE (1951) Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Bob Arthur. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 110 mins. (p/s).

2:45pm IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934) Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly. Dir. Frank Capra. Columbia. 105 mins. (p/s).

4:30pm FIVE STAR FINAL (1931) Edward G. Robinson, Marian Marsh, HB Warner. Dir. Mervyn LeRoy. First National Pictures. 89 mins. (p/s)

6:00pm LIBELED LADY (1936) Jean Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy. Dir. Jack Conway. MGM. 98 mins. (p/s).

7:45pm WHITE PERIL (1956) 8 mins. Short.

PRIMETIME: THE ESSENTIALS: Teen Surfing Movies!

8:00pm GIDGET (1959) Sandra Dee, James Darren, Cliff Robertson. Dir. Paul Wendkos. Columbia. 94 mins.

9:45pm BEACH BLANKET BINGO (1965) Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Deborah Walley. Dir. William Asher. American International Pictures. 98 mins. (p/s).

11:30pm RIDE THE WILD SURF (1964) Fabian, Shelley Fabares, Tab Hunter. Dir. Don Taylor. Columbia. 101 mins. (p/s).

1:15am THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF TUPPERWARE (1959) Short. 29 mins.

1:45am MATCH YOUR MOOD (1968) Short. 7 mins.

TCM UNDERGROUND: Crazy about Swayze

2:00am ROAD HOUSE (1989) Patrick Swayze, Sam Elliot, Kelly Lynch. Dir. Rowdy Herrington. MGM. 114 mins. (premiere).

4:00am DIRTY DANCING (1987) Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey, Jerry Orbach. Dir. Emile Ardolino. Great American Films Limited Partnership. 100 mins. (premiere).

5:45am CALLING ON MICHIGAN (1949) 10 mins. Short.

• Like 4

SPEEDRACER'S PROGRAMMING NOTES

May 20-May 26, 2018

SOTM: Ann Blyth

The Essential: Gidget (1959)

Spotlight: 30th Anniversary of the National Film Registry

Silent Sunday: Laurel & Hardy Silent Shorts

TCM Imports: French Musicals

TCM Underground: Crazy About Swayze

TCM Premieres: 

BACON GRABBERS (1929) (EXEMPT)

A WOMAN’S VENGEANCE (1948) (EXEMPT)

CLAUDIA (1943)

WE’RE NOT MARRIED! (1952)

WHAT’S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) (EXEMPT)

THIS HAPPY FEELING (1958) (EXEMPT)

THAT CERTAIN FEELING (1956)

ALL THAT JAZZ (1979)

FOOTLOOSE (1984)

THE TATTERED DRESS (1957)

VICKI (1953)

ROAD HOUSE (1989) (EXEMPT)

DIRTY DANCING (1987) (EXEMPT)

By Decade: 

1920s- 5

1930s- 15

1940s- 35

1950s- 28

1960s- 14

1970s- 3

1980s- 3

On Sunday, we're doing a load of laundry and featuring a block of films that feature the names of various clothing items.  In the evening, we have a trio of films from the unlikely duo of Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard who surprisingly made a good on-screen team.  In the evening, we're saluting the original masters of physical comedy--Laurel and Hardy, with a collection of some of their most memorable early silent films--including the premiere of Bacon Grabbers and their classic, Big Business. A double header of French musicals headlines our TCM Imports feature this evening. 

On Monday, we have a block of bird movies.  Only one film actually features real birds, the grand-daddy of all "bird" pictures, The Birds.  Will this viewing finally answer my oft-asked question: "When the birds are gathering on the playground equipment outside the school, why in the world do Suzanne Pleshette and Tippi Hedren decide that the best course of action would be running with the children outside? They would have been safer inside the school. In the evening, we're featuring our Star of the Month, Ann Blyth in a block of some of her best films from the 1940s, including her Oscar-nominated performance as the teenage child from Hell, Veda, in Mildred Pierce.  We also have the premiere of A Woman's Vengeance starring Blyth and Charles "LUCY! I LOVE YOU!! RAWR"* Boyer. 

On Tuesday, we're airing a collection of films that feature the long gone tradition of dance cards, which were used by women to plan out all their dances and dance partners in advance.  Each lady would be provided an empty booklet with all the different dances listed (waltz, fox trot, minuet, etc.) and blank lines accompanying each line.  The lady would then schedule her dance partners for each respective dance.  Who can forget Judy Garland and Lucille Bremer's plan to sabotage June Lockhart's dance card in Meet Me in St. Louis? Or Ginger Rogers' overflowing dance card in The Major and the Minor? In the evening, we're celebrating the thirtieth anniversary of the National Film Registry who each year, select a group of films that will forever be preserved.  We're airing a selection of some of the first entrants into the Registry, including the first entry, Casablanca

Wednesday morning kicks off with the ever-popular Broadway Melody series that also featured the best female dancer in film, Eleanor Powell.  In the afternoon, we're celebrating underrated actress Dorothy McGuire, with a collection of some of her most memorable films.  Claudia, McGuire's first film, will be a TCM premiere.  In the evening, we're joined by Ricky Ricardo, famous Cuban bandleader, actor and proprietor of the Club Babalu where he regularly appears and performs.  The evening starts off with The Long, Long Trailer, which Ricky enjoys because it reminds him of his madcap antics with his wife Lucy.  Lucy and Ricky have been often told that the stars of 'Trailer' (Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz), could be their doppelgangers.  You Were Never Lovelier may be an odd choice seeing that it features Ricky's nemesis Xavier Cugat, but Ricky states that Rita Hayworth's presence in the film more than makes up for Cugat's.  Ricky selected The Adventures of Don Juan with Errol Flynn as he was supposed to star in another version of Don Juan at MGM, but unfortunately, the film fell through and he was placed on another assignment.  During our interview with Ricky, he declined to mention what film he'd made instead. Finally, Ricky's selected Niagara, a film that features a very sensual performance by Marilyn Monroe--one of Ricky's favorite actresses.  In fact, he and wife Lucy once got into a squabble over Marilyn, when Ricky wanted to wear ratty clothes to one of her films--"Marilyn wouldn't mind!" he is said to have proclaimed.  We concluded the evening with three more Marilyn films, including the premiere of We're Not Married!

On Thursday, we're on the case with a group of amateur detectives: Bonita, Errol, Goofy, James and Barbara.  In the afternoon, we're having a lot of feelings, especially for the premieres of What's So Bad About Feeling Good?, This Happy Feeling and That Certain Feeling.  In the evening, we're featuring that familiar dinner staple, spaghetti.  Everyone in this group of films has some type of encounter with the Italian favorite.  Ever notice how in old movies, their spaghetti noodles are enormous and they're always served huge, heaping platefuls of noodles? Who can eat all that? Unfortunately, we were unable to obtain the rights to the most obvious of spaghetti movies, featuring everyone's favorite romantic canine couple. 

On Friday, we're playing America's favorite game, The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, and finding out how he connects to Edward G. Robinson! This block of films features two premieres: All That Jazz and Footloose.  In the evening, we're celebrating Jeanne Crain's birthday with a block of her best films, including her Oscar-nominated film, Pinky.  We have two premieres this evening, The Tattered Dress and Vicki.  

On Saturday, we've got a series of films featuring one of my favorite movie subjects--newspapers in film.  We start out with the granddaddy of all newspaper films, Citizen Kane and the rarely aired Deadline--U.S.A. with Humphrey Bogart.  Saturday evening, we're going back to the beach and hitting up the surfing scene.  Our Essential this evening is Gidget, featuring America's Sweetheart, Sandra Dee.  In my opinion, why is she even interested in Big Kahuna, Moondoggie is much cuter! We then play Beach Blanket Bingo with Frankie and Annette and finally go surfing with Fabian! Finally, we conclude this block with my favorite shorts--The Wonderful World of Tupperware and Match Your Mood, which is literally just a 1968 Westinghouse refrigerator decoration commercial, but it's hilarious.  Our Underground feature concludes the evening, and this week we're crazy about Swayze with a double feature of two of his most popular films--including my personal favorite, Dirty Dancing--the real Dirty Dancing.  No Havana Nights.  No whatever that musical remake thing was. 

*Whenever I hear "Charles Boyer" I can't help but think of that episode of I Love Lucy where he as "Maurice DuBois" (whom Lucy thinks is a Charles Boyer lookalike, but unbeknownst to her, but known to Ricky, is really Boyer) is roped into pretending to seduce Lucy in order to make Ricky jealous.  After some coaching by Lucy on how Charles Boyer sounds, Boyer kisses Lucy's arm with a lot of gusto and then growls as he says "LUCY, I LOVE YOU."

• Like 4

Another great schedule, Speedy! Just what we've come to expect from you. :) So much creative stuff, Speedy--laundry, spaghetti, dance cards, Detectives, Ann Blythe, Kevin Bacon--love it all. I laughed so hard to see your Star Wars theme, and was happy you included WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD, which I keep hoping TCM will show. The Film Registry is a great idea for a TCM Spotlight!

• Like 1

I would honestly like to see TCM premiere THE GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X -- the only sci-fi dark comedy musical fantasy you need to see this year!  It's also the last movie shot on Kodak 35mm Plus-X black-and white film and has Kevin McCarthy's last film appearance.

Thoughts?

lobby7.jpg

• Like 1

When you post your schedule, do you have to include a list of films per decade along with the schedule (for example, 6 from the 30's, 18 from the 40's, 3 from the 80's)? And if so, do we include short films in that tally?

When you post your schedule, do you have to include a list of films per decade along with the schedule (for example, 6 from the 30's, 18 from the 40's, 3 from the 80's)? And if so, do we include short films in that tally?

It's not really required, but most people tend to do it. I always find it interesting to see the breakdown by decade. As far as the shorts go, I'd say it's your call. I think I've done it both ways in the past. Either way should be fine!

• Like 1