Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Gay Bait and Switch

34 posts in this topic

A few days back I saw a re-run of Will and Grace;  this one featured Patrick Dempsey as a gay man whose profession was pro-sports.     Will falls for Dempsey.   Dempsey finally gets his dream job as a news sportscaster,    but pro-sports being a homophobic industry,  Dempsey doesn't wish to out himself.    Will shows up at a sporting event and Dempsey introduces him as his brother.

Grace is very negative towards Dempsey (hatefully IMO) and really pushes Will to dump the guy.   I felt Grace lacked comparison as it relates to what Dempsey was going through.    Some (many\most?) male athletes wouldn't accept a gay man in the locker room.   Dempsey wouldn't even be able to get interviews.     Clearly if Dempsey came out, he would have been fired. 

So to me this situation was a lot more complex and delicate then how the show portrayed it, especially Grace's view towards and treatment of Dempsey.   

Grace's constant presence in Will's life was always "problematic".

• Like 1

A few days back I saw a re-run of Will and Grace;  this one featured Patrick Dempsey as a gay man whose profession was pro-sports.     Will falls for Dempsey.   Dempsey finally gets his dream job as a news sportscaster,    but pro-sports being a homophobic industry,  Dempsey doesn't wish to out himself.    Will shows up at a sporting event and Dempsey introduces him as his brother.

Grace is very negative towards Dempsey (hatefully IMO) and really pushes Will to dump the guy.   I felt Grace lacked comparison as it relates to what Dempsey was going through.    Some (many\most?) male athletes wouldn't accept a gay man in the locker room.   Dempsey wouldn't even be able to get interviews.     Clearly if Dempsey came out, he would have been fired. 

So to me this situation was a lot more complex and delicate then how the show portrayed it, especially Grace's view towards and treatment of Dempsey.   

Good point even now there are no out professional players who are currently active - there are rumors about Aaron Rodgers who was using Olivia Munn as beard and  Tim Tebow who is gayer than gay but no one seems to notice.  Things might get better now that some college athletes are coming out .

• Thanks 1

Good point even now there are no out professional players who are currently active - there are rumors about Aaron Rodgers who was using Olivia Munn as beard and  Tim Tebow who is gayer than gay but no one seems to notice.  Things might get better now that some college athletes are coming out .

Wow,  if Tim Tebow is actually gay I might actually have some warm feeling for him (but I can't stand him now).   His father is part of a very religious anti-gay church.   

As for things getting better;   One would hope so but I wouldn't count on it.  Note that the black NFL players protesting for better treatment of blacks are also the most homophobic members of the NFL.    I would care more about their cause if they will also take a stance in support of gay rights.   But NOOO.    Most are raised without fathers,  as well as being Baptist mommy boys leading to sexual orientation insecurity and homophobia.    

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow,  if Tim Tebow is actually gay I might actually have some warm feeling for him (but I can't stand him now).   His father is part of a very religious anti-gay church.   

As for things getting better;   One would hope so but I wouldn't count on it.  Note that the black NFL players protesting for better treatment of blacks are also the most homophobic members of the NFL.    I would care more about their cause if they will also take a stance in support of gay rights.   But NOOO.    Most are raised without fathers,  as well as being Baptist mommy boys leading to sexual orientation insecurity and homophobia.    

This is all the stuff which usually gets left out of the conversation, so thanks for speaking up, james. As usual, you're being the kind of outspoken ally we need. I think insecurity is the key word here; it seems to be tied to most manifestations of homophobia I can think of. People seeking rights are tied to every other person seeking rights of whatever kind and to pretend otherwise is foolish beyond belief.

• Like 2

I don't think you should pick and choose when it comes to human rights.  You are either for equal rights and fair treatment for everybody or you're not.  Back when I was in college, the women's movement was just gaining some steam and student reps would vote on which campus groups would get school funding for their group.  Those of us in support of our women's group voted for the Black Student Union to get funding but they would not support our fledgling group which I thought was hypocritical (no gay activists at my small Midwestern college back then).  So, yes, black athlete activists should support gay rights and it's sad nobody feels safe coming out in pro sports until their career is over.  This will change eventually but progress is slow and the political climate at the top is not friendly to gays, trans, females, minorities or non-humans.

If Aaron Rodgers is gay and if he came out, it would be the just about the greatest thing in sports ever!  It needs to be someone whose awesome athletic skills are beyond question - a Jackie Robinson, if you will, and not some marginal player or bench warmer.

• Like 3

The Warwlck Rowers. a top-notch rowing team in England, publishes an annual calendar, the proceeds of which go to fight homophobia in sports -

image.thumb.png.102300ec837aff33969a1ae04c87b216.png

• Like 2

Everybody wins with the Warwick Rowers.  Who wouldn't want a calendar of scantilly clad handsome men in support of a good cause?  I can see the NBA or baseball doing this in America but not so sure about the NFL (yet).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I don't think you should pick and choose when it comes to human rights.  You are either for equal rights and fair treatment for everybody or you're not.  Back when I was in college, the women's movement was just gaining some steam and student reps would vote on which campus groups would get school funding for their group.  Those of us in support of our women's group voted for the Black Student Union to get funding but they would not support our fledgling group which I thought was hypocritical (no gay activists at my small Midwestern college back then).  So, yes, black athlete activists should support gay rights and it's sad nobody feels safe coming out in pro sports until their career is over.  This will change eventually but progress is slow and the political climate at the top is not friendly to gays, trans, females, minorities or non-humans.

If Aaron Rodgers is gay and if he came out, it would be the just about the greatest thing in sports ever!  It needs to be someone whose awesome athletic skills are beyond question - a Jackie Robinson, if you will, and not some marginal player or bench warmer.

I don't blame politicians for homophobia or racist or any other bigotry.   Instead it is the fault of the people that have these traits.   Yea,  politicians will exploit these "feelings" to gain political leverage,  but they are not the source.

Note that women members of BLM have complained about the sexism of the male members.    Just another example that a civil rights activist may only care about the civil rights of someone exactly like them (as well as violating the civil rights of those not like them).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't blame politicians for homophobia or racist or any other bigotry.   Instead it is the fault of the people that have these traits.   Yea,  politicians will exploit these "feelings" to gain political leverage,  but they are not the source.

Note that women members of BLM have complained about the sexism of the male members.    Just another example that a civil rights activist may only care about the civil rights of someone exactly like them (as well as violating the civil rights of those not like them).

You are right that politicians, the media and the political correct gestapo exploit the ignorance and fear of the other for their own gains.

• Thanks 2