Philip1749

New TCM Hosts

51 posts in this topic

I can't say I think much of the new TCM on-air hosts. First of all, "teenie bopper" Tiffany Vasquez who is now featured on Saturday afternoons, was a poor choice for a new host. I suspect two things: (1) she was chosen because she had connections with someone in authority at TCM, and (2) because Turner Classic Movies is trying desperately to attract a younger audience. While I understand the latter motive, I still feel she was a poor choice for this position. I also notice that TCM has picked up Bill O'Reilly's former comedy partner Dennis Miller from his old program on Fox News as a new on air host. I hope this is not a permanent thing. TCM seems of late to be picking rather inappropriate and definitely mediocre choices to serve as on air hosts. Frankly unless Ben Mankiewicz is the on air host, I switch to a different channel on my television set until the movie actually comes on. He does an excellent and very convincing job. He also seem emotionally mature and very knowledgeable. On the other hand, I have the distinct impression that Tiffany Vasquez would be totally lost if it were not for a teleprompter being in front of her. I really hope that there are some new and better changes coming to TCM with regard to who are the on air hosts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can't say I think much of the new TCM on-air hosts. First of all, "teenie bopper" Tiffany Vasquez who is now featured on Saturday afternoons, was a poor choice for a new host. I suspect two things: (1) she was chosen because she had connections with someone in authority at TCM, and (2) because Turner Classic Movies is trying desperately to attract a younger audience. While I understand the latter motive, I still feel she was a poor choice for this position. I also notice that TCM has picked up Bill O'Reilly's former comedy partner Dennis Miller from his old program on Fox News as a new on air host. I hope this is not a permanent thing. TCM seems of late to be picking rather inappropriate and definitely mediocre choices to serve as on air hosts. Frankly unless Ben Mankiewicz is the on air host, I switch to a different channel on my television set until the movie actually comes on. He does an excellent and very convincing job. He also seem emotionally mature and very knowledgeable. On the other hand, I have the distinct impression that Tiffany Vasquez would be totally lost if it were not for a teleprompter being in front of her. I really hope that there are some new and better changes coming to TCM with regard to who are the on air hosts.

She actually won one of the fan contests that TCM holds in order to find new hosts for their afternoon programming.

• Like 5

....On the other hand, I have the distinct impression that Tiffany Vasquez would be totally lost if it were not for a teleprompter being in front of her.

I really don't understand why everyone seems to dislike Tiffany. Yes, she's young.Yes, she's girly, but she's only on one afternoon per week She also has a deep love of classic films with special interest in the wardrobe and scenery departments. 

• Like 4

I really don't understand why everyone seems to dislike Tiffany. Yes, she's young.Yes, she's girly, but she's only on one afternoon per week She also has a deep love of classic films with special interest in the wardrobe and scenery departments. 

Yea,  I don't get it either.    Either way the host is only on for less then a minute,  before and after a film.    One would think that even if the host was one's mother-in-law one would be able to just ignore this.    :lol:

• Like 2

Tiffany Vasquez is a graduate of the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.

Somehow, this seems to qualify her as a TCM commentator.

She probably got this gig through "a connection".

Whenever she is on, I simply tune her out.

Anybody can read from a teleprompter.

• Like 4

Really?  Remember Matthew Broderick?

I think Tiffany does a decent job.  I'm not a clothes person, but sometimes her choices distract me.  At least she seems interested in what she's doing.

• Haha 1

Really?  Remember Matthew Broderick?

I think Tiffany does a decent job.  I'm not a clothes person, but sometimes her choices distract me.  At least she seems interested in what she's doing.

I've been trying to forget that ever since I saw it!   (ha ha).

But yea,  that was one of the flattest host presentations I have ever seen especially since the genre was comedy films. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The answer's pretty obvious. Some posters just love to tear people apart, no matter how petty their grievances may be.

If you don't care for the lady, how difficult is it to tune out during her two minute intro and just watch the film?

• Like 1

The answer's pretty obvious. Some posters just love to tear people apart, no matter how petty their grievances may be.

If you don't care for the lady, how difficult is it to tune out during her two minute intro and just watch the film?

For me, I just don't like how she presents the film. It is too stiff. Not conversational like RO or Ben M. Me? I just go to the bathroom or get a snack during her presentations if she happens to be introducing something I want to see. Which isn't often.

• Like 2

After watching Alec Baldwin on the Essentials I am convinced he is ideal to conduct more TCM hosting including the Essentials format.  His conversations with the guest hosts are very well done, he doesn't have notes and he appears to be completely aware of the films being discussed and brings out excellent observations from his guests.  Last nights conversation with David Letterman regarding "Brief Encounters" was very engrossing and he got responses from David Letterman regarding the film that I would have never believed David Letterman capable of expressing.  Great conversation and follow up and a great movie.  Brief Encounters is one of my favourite films and one of the best British films ever. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

After watching Alec Baldwin on the Essentials I am convinced he is ideal to conduct more TCM hosting including the Essentials format.  His conversations with the guest hosts are very well done, he doesn't have notes and he appears to be completely aware of the films being discussed and brings out excellent observations from his guests.  Last nights conversation with David Letterman regarding "Brief Encounters" was very engrossing and he got responses from David Letterman regarding the film that I would have never believed David Letterman capable of expressing.  Great conversation and follow up and a great movie.  Brief Encounters is one of my favourite films and one of the best British films ever. 

I thought "The Essentials" was dead and buried over the last few years. It had gotten so stale and I loathed Drew Barrymore. Things improved when Sally Field came on board but I felt as though Robert Osborne had virtually no rapport with her and rarely let her finish a sentence. Aside from the fact that there were barely any new (old) films chosen as "Essentials" and the fact that TCM began repeating the same "Essentials" movies and comments multiple times a year, Robert Osborne also seemed to have lost his heart for the program.

I loved when Alec Baldwin was the Essentials co-host years ago (who knew he was a knowledgeable classic movie lover?) and I think he is doing an amazing job as host now.  He and Letterman are great together and I will be sorry to see the co-host change (even though I have high hopes for Tina Fey.)  "The Essentials" is re-born!

• Like 2

It is also obvious the network chose her for a couple of reasons. A younger audience hopefuls & B also trying to reach out to spanish movie fans  She seems nice enough, but I wager Tiffany doesn't know any of the cinefacts & only gets it from the teleprompter

I KNOW MANY DISLIKE HER, BUT AGAIN & DESPITE SHE'S ON A CURRENT & AWARD WINNING TV-SERIES

WINONA-(l97l-) DID A MARVELOUS JOB, FILLING IN FOR OSBORNE ONE WEEK & WAS A GREAT "GP"-("Guest Programmer") as well

I don't mean for her as the regular full-time host, just instead of Tiffany  

Matter of fact you can easily find several photos of her & Robert together, they got along famously-(a quote from her own 1989 "Heathers")

& She's an actual bona-fide old-time moviebuff & likely doesn't need it scripted-(the info) for her, like Vasquez.

Matter  of fact, for yrs her Idol & favorite actress was Barbara Stanwyck-(l907-l990)  She even appeared at the Academy Awards made up like Ruby Stevens. :)

& Winona's fav. classic actors:

*Laurence 0livier & *William Holden

& classic actresses:

Stanwyck

*Bette Davis

*I. Bergman

Garbo

*Greer Garson

Maureen 0'Hara

*Ginger Rogers

NATALIE WOOD-(she says "I have this weird affinity for her")

*Audrey Hepburn

& *Jessica Tandy

Stanwyck's still up there for her, but now her ultimate idol is Oscar victor Kate Winslet-(l975-)  & her (4) films she chose as a TCM "GP"

Ball of Fire (l94l-RKO)

A Face in the Crowd (l957)

The front (l976)

& 12 Angry Men (l957-UA)

& she also always says ten movies she would take to another planet:

"A Face in the Crowd,  To Kill  a Mockingbird-(TRIVIA: though not in this discussion Madonna's A #1), Opening Night, The Tempest (l982), Picnic at Hanging Rock, Gallipoli, Don't look Now, Walkabout, *West Side Story, & Random Harvest-(was also among Mr. 0sborne's top pix)

& she's always firmly said she ranks Scorsese as the greatest filmmaker alive,  especially when he helmed her, D. Day-Lewis & the luminous Pfeiffer in '93's The Age of Innocence

We even share the same birthday  though I've got 7yrs on her   Full name: Winona (Laura) Horowitz

(P.S. & who finds this also bizarre world, I used to think he was funny, but why is DENNIS MILLER on here now too??? :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

• Like 1

She actually won one of the fan contests that TCM holds in order to find new hosts for their afternoon programming.

4 BIG STARS! ON BEING A JAMES STEWART FAN PAL!!!    I got to not only see what was his fmr home-(pretty modest too for such a heavyweight) on 923 Roxbury Dr.-(once a famed tour road, now, not nearly as much?   Lucy, Jack Benny, Peter Falk, Rosemary Clooney, Oscar Levant & others) 

But & for others bear this in mind next time you catch 1932's Oscar winner The Champ (***1/2)  *Wallace Beery-(l885-l949) once own exact same house that Jimmy later lived in for yrs. & it can easily be seen in The Champ. when he takes Jackie Cooper to see his mother & Jackie's on the roof. During Hollywoods Glorious Golden age & Studio-System-(circa 1925-1960) they had the double decker tour buses & he'd be out there mowing his lawn-(Stewart that is) & would happily come over to the bus & sign fans autographs.

& despite him officially being the highest decorated movie star during "The War"-(Audie Murpohy-(l924-7l) wasn't in movies yet of course) (NOTE: A fun true story on Stewart first though. at 6'3 & 1/2 & barely 139lbs he was turned down when trying to enlist at first,he had to gain at least 10lbs more) :rolleyes: He easily could have chosen Arlington, cem but instead chose to be laid to rest w/his Hollywood contemporaries at  the massive & all-up very steep roiling hills in the 318 acre Glendale-(not Hollywood Hills) "Forest Lawn, park" sadly, though only married once & happily, his wife Dolores died a couple yrs before the legendary Oscar winner in 1994.  & a lot of Glendale is closed to the public, however he wanted his fans to always be able to visit him, on a small hill & with no gates in site  Although it was from his area at dusk that lots of coyotes come from :(    He & great pal of 47yrs *Henry Fonda-(l905-l9820 were 180 different politically. he was a staunch republic-(but not as much as "The Duke") & *Fonda a lifelong liberal, it never interfered with their friendship though

• Like 1

Tiffany Vasquez is a graduate of the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.

Somehow, this seems to qualify her as a TCM commentator.

She probably got this gig through "a connection".

Whenever she is on, I simply tune her out.

THATS IT, YOU HIT A BULLSEYE!   TCM SHOULD HIRE O'REILLY AS FULL-TIME HOST, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

• Like 1

I thought "The Essentials" was dead and buried over the last few years. It had gotten so stale and I loathed Drew Barrymore. Things improved when Sally Field came on board but I felt as though Robert Osborne had virtually no rapport with her and rarely let her finish a sentence. Aside from the fact that there were barely any new (old) films chosen as "Essentials" and the fact that TCM began repeating the same "Essentials" movies and comments multiple times a year, Robert Osborne also seemed to have lost his heart for the program.

I loved when Alec Baldwin was the Essentials co-host years ago (who knew he was a knowledgeable classic movie lover?) and I think he is doing an amazing job as host now.  He and Letterman are great together and I will be sorry to see the co-host change (even though I have high hopes for Tina Fey.)  "The Essentials" is re-born!

WALDO,  yeah he & Baldwin really had a terrific rapport    On that note people always talk about the hardest working man-(or woman) in showbiz, right now Alec fits that bill

THATS IT, YOU HIT A BULLSEYE!   TCM SHOULD HIRE O'REILLY AS FULL-TIME HOST, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

He is no Dennis Miller.  All political crap aside, I just don't want to have condescending intros.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes!  Baldwin is great and this franchise has been reinvigorated.  I have thought for a long time that TCM has ignored more modern hosts and movie stars/producers/directors -- and the use of Letterman is a nod to the fact that, perhaps, they have gotten that message!  Most of the stars of the golden age are gone now, so it is high time to look to the people who came after, most particularly those who admired and respected the golden age folks...

• Like 5

Good hosts might cost money. We did Ben's sense of humor and intros but are at a loss concerning a more recent addition...well, no comment.

New host Tiffany Vasquez is a breath of fresh air!  I think Robert Osborne would be proud.  She has the background,  the smarts, the poise, the authentic interest,  the conversational delivery, and with it personal style.  I for one will be looking forward to her interesting intros.  

• Like 1

I'm OK with the new hosts. I think Tiffany has improved dramatically and has a good delivery. Eddie Muller certainly knows his stuff on Noir Alley. Alec Baldwin, always my favorite co-host of The Essentials when RO was alive, is doing a great job there. Ben has a style that is very different from RO. I can't say that it is as good as RO, and he certainly has his own style of delivery, but he is holding his own. But maybe it is unfair to even compare Ben to RO. He was originally hired to handle the weekends and was probably instructed to use an informal and humorous style. Remember that went on for eight years before RO's sudden illness in 2011 abruptly shoved him into the primetime spotlight which had an entirely different ambience than what he had been doing. RO just had such a unique background - a middle class guy from small town Washington who winds up a friend to just about all of the golden age stars and was an avid film historian to boot. That's just not going to happen again.

P.S.- Just one negative. David Letterman's beard! Yikes! It looks like a whisk broom and is very distracting. Is there no gentle way of bringing this up?

• Like 4

Tiffany has maybe improved? I don't know, I usually fast forward or leave the room (to get a snack, bathroom break, what have you) when she's on.  Her intros sound like she's giving a presentation to her high school speech class--very stilted, very rehearsed introductions.  She doesn't have a conversational approach.  I'm sure she is qualified for the position, but she needs to develop a more casual manner and display more of a personality on screen.  Perhaps with time she'll find her niche, but right now, I don't get anything out of her introductions. 

While nobody will ever replace RO (he is forever a symbol of TCM), I do like Ben Mankiewicz, who also has connections to Hollywood, even though he doesn't discuss them as often.  I also don't mind Alec Baldwin.  I think he's very knowledgeable and is clearly a fan of classic film.  He has a conversational demeanor to his remarks which makes him a good host.  I don't care about whatever politics or background or whatever that makes people dislike him.  He is good at doing what TCM hired him for and that's all that matters to me.  I also like Eddie Muller, he is obviously very learned in the subject of noir and he has a great voice that works with the Noir Alley series.  I look forward to seeing more of his selections--even more so if TCM moves the series to a better timeslot like Friday or Saturday evenings. 7am Sunday morning is not a noir time, imo. I even like Michael Feinstein who is currently hosting this month's American Songbook musical series.  He is obviously a big fan of musicals and he has that right presence to be a host. 

• Like 2

I continue to cut Tiffany some slack, as she hasn't accumulated the years of raconteur experience that Robert, Ben, Alec & many of the guest hosts would have racked up. She definitely comes across as more relaxed & less stiff now, compared to her initial intros & I suspect that her subject knowledge is greater than merely reciting from a teleprompter - since she apparently turned up at the classic film fest, perhaps some folks here may have had the chance to meet her in person an give their opinions?

Overall, I think TCM does a pretty good job with the hosts - the regulars provide a sense of continuity in a post RO world & some of the guest hosts have been quite entertaining/enlightening. It's still the only channel doing these kind of programming intro's, where I don't find myself reaching for the fast forward on the remote to get to the main event...

If I had a request, it would be that sometimes the early morning International Imports don't get a host wraparound & could do with one and that the Underground segments could probably benefit from a suitably knowledgeable host, in the same way that the Sunday morning Noir segment now has.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, limey said:

I continue to cut Tiffany some slack, as she hasn't accumulated the years of raconteur experience that Robert, Ben, Alec & many of the guest hosts would have racked up. She definitely comes across as more relaxed & less stiff now, compared to her initial intros & I suspect that her subject knowledge is greater than merely reciting from a teleprompter - since she apparently turned up at the classic film fest, perhaps some folks here may have had the chance to meet her in person an give their opinions?

Overall, I think TCM does a pretty good job with the hosts - the regulars provide a sense of continuity in a post RO world & some of the guest hosts have been quite entertaining/enlightening. It's still the only channel doing these kind of programming intro's, where I don't find myself reaching for the fast forward on the remote to get to the main event...

If I had a request, it would be that sometimes the early morning International Imports don't get a host wraparound & could do with one and that the Underground segments could probably benefit from a suitably knowledgeable host, in the same way that the Sunday morning Noir segment now has.

I agree.  I am trying to like Tiffany and I agree that she does need some time to gain experience.  I'm sure being an actor or regularly in the public spotlight like how RO and many of the guest hosts were definitely helps in developing a more relaxed presence.  I also believe that she does have more extensive knowledge than what she's allowed to display.  Perhaps with some more tenure at TCM, she'll be able to have more of a say in writing her introductions--I'm sure RO either wrote his introductions or at least had great influence over what he said in them; not sure so much with Ben, except I'm sure his little jokes and jabs are probably his. 

I do think that a younger host, like Tiffany, for example, was a good idea as it'll make classic film more relatable to younger generations and perhaps remove the idea that classic films are for older generations, while also showing that classic film has its spot in modern society.  There are younger generations every day discovering and learning about classic film and television and we need that to continue in order to ensure a future for not only TCM but for these films themselves.  The "Let's Movie," wine clubs, online store, etc. are all tactics that TCM is using to show that classic film has its place in everyday life and should not be relegated to dusty shelves in the library or films that kids are forced to watch in school. 

I also agree that it'd be nice if the other regular segments like Silent Sunday Nights, Int'l Imports and the Underground series all had some sort of regular host--especially the Underground series.  I bet TCM could easily find some offbeat person to host that series.  Many of those Underground films are cult classics and there are tons of fans of that type of cinema.  I rarely watch the Silent or International features and only occasionally catch the Underground (usually when they're showing gems like Roller Boogie and Burnt Offerings), but perhaps an interesting host would make those weekly features standout more.  The Sunday night programming just casually segues into Silent Sunday Night and International Imports without any sort of introduction. 

Does TCM do the "coming up next" cards anymore on screen? I know they do during Summer Under the Stars, but I cannot recall if this is something that happens during regular programming.  If not, that would be nice if they brought those back.  

One of my favorite things about TCM is the music and introduction that they air for the "Late Night on TCM" films.  The raunchy jazz music is so much fun.  I'm always so excited when I start one of my DVR recordings and the late night intro starts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also agree that it'd be nice if the other regular segments like Silent Sunday Nights, Int'l Imports and the Underground series all had some sort of regular host--especially the Underground series.  I bet TCM could easily find some offbeat person to host that series.  Many of those Underground films are cult classics and there are tons of fans of that type of cinema.  I rarely watch the Silent or International features and only occasionally catch the Underground (usually when they're showing gems like Roller Boogie and Burnt Offerings), but perhaps an interesting host would make those weekly features standout more.  The Sunday night programming just casually segues into Silent Sunday Night and International Imports without any sort of introduction. 

Silent Sundays, usually get Ben doing an intro, unless there a multiple features that run into the early AM. It's a similar deal with the Imports. Kind of odd, given the intros are typically pre-recorded. There are some real gems that turn up in both programming segments. I've pretty much always had an interest in international film, but it was Silent Sundays that really got me looking into the earlier stuff.

As for Underground - they'd really benefit from a good host, since some of the stuff is a fairly long way off mainstream & often results in my wandering off to hit the internet to find out more. Just make sure the host loves the subject, rather than trying to replicate MST3K (nothing against MST3K, but it's there to scratch a different itch).

16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Does TCM do the "coming up next" cards anymore on screen? I know they do during Summer Under the Stars, but I cannot recall if this is something that happens during regular programming.  If not, that would be nice if they brought those back.  

If you mean the bit where they list the next 3 things on the schedule, they still do - but these no longer come with a voiceover - something that can either be nice (if it's late & you don't want to be suddenly alerted by a perky voice telling you what coming up) or regrettable (if it's late & you'd like the company of a human voice telling you what's coming up)...

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

One of my favorite things about TCM is the music and introduction that they air for the "Late Night on TCM" films.  The raunchy jazz music is so much fun.  I'm always so excited when I start one of my DVR recordings and the late night intro starts. 

Yes! I love those little musical bumpers. They're almost like audio emoticons...

• Like 2