Philip1749

New TCM Hosts

51 posts in this topic

I just can't believe so much negativity could come from TCM fans, sexist comments, such as comment about Tiffany Vazquez's legs are inappropriate.  Why cannot a young person like, be knowledgeable about and talk about classic movies?  Maybe our fan base needs some new blood.  Ben Mankiewicz is a great host and always has been.  I haven't seen one dissapointing host either as a regular hire guest, or audience guest host.

• Like 2

With all the snark about "Teenybopper Tiffany" on this board, I've been waiting and waiting patiently for someone to make what I thought would be the inevitable crack about did Ben and Eddie ask her for ID when they all have a snort together in the What does Let's Movie Mean to You? promo. Which I guess I just did, in a roundabout sort of way.

6 hours ago, Beverlyd said:

I just can't believe so much negativity could come from TCM fans, sexist comments, such as comment about Tiffany Vazquez's legs are inappropriate.  Why cannot a young person like, be knowledgeable about and talk about classic movies?  Maybe our fan base needs some new blood.  Ben Mankiewicz is a great host and always has been.  I haven't seen one dissapointing host either as a regular hire guest, or audience guest host.

I agree and it is sad how people have to use the Internet to attack people (most likely due to their own insecurities).

I have watched Ms. Vazquez since she first was hired and she did have somewhat of a rough start (e.g.looked nervous,  and not fully in her element),  but she has made improvement and I like her. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beverlyd said:

I agree, it's nice to see some young blood actually have some appreciation from movies from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. 

I think Tiffany has improved much and should be given a fair shake. And I too like Ben, I never thought anyone could replace Robert Osbourne (and to a degree I still think that's the case) but Ben brings his own style and train of thought into the intros, likewise Baldwin on The Essentials.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 11:38 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Count me in as another not Tiffany fan. Her intros are always so bland and she doesn't enunciate clearly.

DITTO. Strictly a teleprompter reader. I've never warmed up to her and skip her comments. Hopefully she watches some of the movies she introduces...........

• Like 1

Boy do I agree Tiffany Basques has got to go.  How ever the short time she is on it is

painful.  Anyone can read cue cards that are from wikipedia!!   Insult us having to hear from

a person that isn't old enough to know anything.  

24 minutes ago, phughes said:

Boy do I agree Tiffany Basques has got to go.  How ever the short time she is on it is

painful.  Anyone can read cue cards that are from wikipedia!!   Insult us having to hear from

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, phughes said:

She’s in her early 30s, how old does someone have to be to be considered old enough to know something?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

She’s in her early 30s, how old does someone have to be to be considered old enough to know something?

The poster is likely some old coot that believes one has to have lived during the times to 'know something' about said times.  

So I guess for TCM the minimum age for a host is 90.   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The poster is likely some old coot that believes one has to have lived during the times to 'know something' about said times.  

And still breathing.

Though 70s to 80s would do.

58 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Those 1 post accounts are probably someone just trolling to get a rise out of the posters here. 

Sorry to learn about Tiffany.  She was becoming more natural in her delivery and showed improvement since she first started.  I wonder why TCM didn't renew her contract.  It was just Saturdays during the day so it wasn't like she was on all that often.  Her statement is gracious. 

• Like 8

I'm telling you, these little uncontrollable IBS-like rants and raves people have around here do get seen...

By whom, I don't even know where to start, and neither does anyone else.

I still don't understand the intense dislike of Tiffany. She does tend to be political on social media. Could that have possibly anything to do with it?

12 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I still don't understand the intense dislike of Tiffany. She does tend to be political on social media. Could that have possibly anything to do with it?

I don't think so.  It's my understanding Ben and Alec Baldwin have been political (not on TCM) and that seems to be OK.

15 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I don't think so.  It's my understanding Ben and Alec Baldwin have been political (not on TCM) and that seems to be OK.

Hard to tell how much social media impacts these type of decisions.   Note that ESPN just released a very detail social media policy (after multiple controversies both left and right).    My advise for anyone that has a public facing job would be to stay out of politics on social media.   

Very liberal Matt Damon appears to have learned this lesson now that he is being attacked (unfairly I believe),  by women activist.   (and I'm a big supporter of his Water project,  and his politics, generally).

40 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My advise for anyone that has a public facing job would be to stay out of politics on social media.   

Hasn't been working for Taylor Swift.  Well, she seems to be succeeding with her fans, but there's also a lot of whining from people saying effectively, "You need to push our political views on your fans!"

• Like 1

It's been good watching  the new different hosts and not to worry about Tiffsncy struggling through her screen time.

She was not a good fit.  

The new hosts have more TV experience so it's been a smoother transition.

I still think that after a rocky start, Tiffany got better and became more natural in her speaking manner.  Just as she was finding her groove, they don't renew her contract.

• Like 1

My personal top 3 candidates are in this order>

A #1 Leonard Maltin-(l950-) he literally known more about classic cinema, silent era , Hollywood Golden Age & of course new releases   & has sections on his online program about "Movie Collectibles" Movie Books" "*Uncle Walt'

salt's" the best memorabelia) he even has worn a "Mickey Watch" for decades, something around early ';90's I alsoi wanted & get at what was then called "The Disney Store": & dig this, in a regular lgr mall too!?    Now, for me in just damn disgustingly humid down here I don't wear a writwatch. & one & I;m kinda' sorry you spporets-fans can not likely local anymore/  In short it was thee TCM Gangster Watch & Logo-(like Dick Tracy) & came in a can as wll

Some gal got the tcm gangster wat cor her approx. 10 to 15yrs ago & itr simply said out the ouside 'Bill Colle is Doing Timel
welp, I wanted a Bugs Bunny (WB;SA0 wristwatch as a collection, but sadly WB's is not in the league $money$ wise as the motnolith *DISNEY!   Cal still be a couple Bugs watched via intenernet, but I;'m to put in frankly, not in A GOOD MOOID ANYNORE OLD FRIEND!

#2. Peter Bogdanovich (l939)  (my runner-up as a poss tcm programmer/host)

& 3rd   ???? Soory sports fans getting tired & quickly

I had the 3rd one ion my mind just before I attempoted to wrote, then it wen NANANANA

Once again I was just about to finish  this our dear moderator cut me off> Dick Cavett_(1935-)  of whom grew up with our legendaryclassic stars & heroes & still loves the movies & recall his early to mid 1`970's show-(I taped all f them year  about when they re aired them all>Mitchum, Hitch, *KATE, Groucho, manymothers   So Richard would efinatell;y be in my top 3 CHOICES, though it seems wqe havesay no say anylonger>

& I KNOW I'M PREJUIDECED., but the network currently has an arrey of people that don't even shave yet & read theirlines all from & I know what they are doing, of course desperarely wanted to now be pc, among others

AGAIN, MIS RYDER(WinonaLaura Horowitz) she knows Hollywood history  Plus, she has a "IN" she been to the GA station either c hosting & feeled in for Osbo an entire week one

Reckon' at going on age 47-(iroginally same brithdates) November 8, she all of a sudden???

Leonard Maltin, Bogdanovich & a handful others

Illeana Douglas, known for her work on TCM series like "Friday Night Spotlight: Second Looks" and "Trailblazing Women" and the granddaughter of Melvin Douglas, is also an actress, writer, and producer which brings more authority and authenticity to her delivery of Intros and Outros.

I thought tiffany vasquez was cute with an unassuming modest delivery to her introduction of films.

Related image

14 minutes ago, ebegley2 said:

Illeana Douglas, known for her work on TCM series like "Friday Night Spotlight: Second Looks" and "Trailblazing Women" and the granddaughter of Melvin Douglas, is also an actress, writer, and producer which brings more authority and authenticity to her delivery of Intros and Outros.

exactly, she thinks she's hot bleep because she's melvyn's granddaughter.