Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Wonder Woman Eyes $175+ Million Global Opening

24 posts in this topic

With spectacular reviews on its side, Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman is eyeing an impressive $175+ million global opening. According to Deadline, the film is set to open between $65-$75 million domestically, falling in line with previous reports. However, the outlet isn’t ruling out a possible $80 million North American debut, as positive buzz continues to build around the Amazon Princess’ first solo film.

While this would make for the lowest stateside debut for the DC Extended Universe, these numbers would see Wonder Woman fall in line with the first films for both Captain America and Thor, which both opened to $65 million back in 2011.

With the film set to open in 55 markets internationally, tracking estimates put the film’s oversea numbers between $92-$118 million, with $100 million seeming more than probable.

For those that want to see more women in leading roles, this movie has a chance to break the mold.

For those that want to see more women in leading roles, this movie has a chance to break the mold.

Maybe now Marvel will give The Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) a long overdue solo project.

nhan-thay-da-nu-la-hinh-anh-thich-hop-jo

Maybe now Marvel will give The Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) a long overdue solo project.

Overdue from what POV?     Overdue because you feel the quality is high or overdue because regardless of quality such a project would bring in the bucks or?

• Like 1

Overdue from what POV?     Overdue because you feel the quality is high or overdue because regardless of quality such a project would bring in the bucks or?

Overdue because virtually all of the other members of the 2012 blockbuster "The Avengers" have had their own solo projects. 

Marvel apparently has greenlit a project featuring Academy Award-winner Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. And Sony has signed Gina Prince-Bythewood ("Love and Basketball," "The Secret Life of Bees") to direct "Silver and Black," a project about Silver Sable and The Black Cat.

But the absence of a film about The Black Widow sticks out like a sore thumb.

easter-eggs-avengers-age-of-ultron-1.jpg

Which characters from the 2012 movie blockbuster "The Avengers" haven't had solo projects yet?

Overdue because virtually all of the other members of the 2012 blockbuster "The Avengers" have had their own solo projects. 

Marvel apparently has greenlit a project featuring Academy Award-winner Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. And Sony has signed Gina Prince-Bythewood ("Love and Basketball," "The Secret Life of Bees") to direct "Silver and Black," a project about Silver Sable and The Black Cat.

Poor Hawkeye. People want to see him shoot more arrows. pewpewpew

I would add that Johansson is generally one of the more bankable stars in the current era, notwithstanding the recent failure of Ghost in the Shell. A Black Widow-centric film handled like a Bourne movie could be very successful if properly handled.

Brie Larson's Captain Marvel character is said to be making an appearance in one of the upcoming cosmic Avengers movies before starring in her own vehicle.

All of this is information that I'm sure the average TCM viewer is fascinated by.

Poor Hawkeye. People want to see him shoot more arrows. pewpewpew

I would add that Johansson is generally one of the more bankable stars in the current era, notwithstanding the recent failure of Ghost in the Shell. A Black Widow-centric film handled like a Bourne movie could be very successful if properly handled.

Brie Larson's Captain Marvel character is said to be making an appearance in one of the upcoming cosmic Avengers movies before starring in her own vehicle.

All of this is information that I'm sure the average TCM viewer is fascinated by.

I'd be fine with a Hawkeye origin film, too. And you just know all of the DC and Marvel films will wind up on TCM someday. I'm sure most of us won't be around when they've attained classic status. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, a freakish front-loaded opening will ultimately be SEEN that way, and not because the rest of the theaters that week were playing "King Arthur", "Baywatch", "Alien: Covenant" and "Pirates 5", and "The Mummy" was opening the next week.

I'm not saying this is GOING to be one of those "Massacre summers" like we had last year--or in '01, or '03, or '13--but if Cars 3 suddenly does bewildering, inexplicable business this summer, don't come crying to me. 

(The wretched-looking Despicable Me 3, OTOH, still hard to tell, but then, that was what we said about "Secret Life of Pets" last year, before Star Trek, Alice and the Turtles started dropping like flies...)

jakeem

The fact that we (or rather, they) are still talking about a Black Widow spinoff dates back to what comic book fans refer to as Hollywood studios' "Elektra Complex":

Fox didn't know why the Ben Affleck '03 Daredevil did badly at the box office, but core fans defended it enough to warrant demand for a "do-over" sequel.  Fox wasn't sure they wanted to do one, but hedged their bets like any misogynist studio would do if they'd never read comic books in their lives, stereotyped the fans as h**ny-teen geeks and said, "The fans just wanted to see more of the SEXY BABE!"

So, instead of a respectable do-over Daredevil 2, we got the '05 "Elektra" spinoff movie...Lord help us all.

Flash forward to '10, when Paramount was trying to figure out why fan enthusiasm to Iron Man 2 had cooled so quickly...Gee, maybe fans really wanted to see more of sexy Scarlett Johanson backflip-kicking guys? :rolleyes:

Which characters from the 2012 movie blockbuster "The Avengers" haven't had solo projects yet?

Every time I hear somebody whining about "Huh?  'Ant-Man'?  'Black Panther'?  Who're the 'Guardians of the Galaxy'?", I always have to keep RE-explaining what fans--not to mention Fox, Sony and Warner--never quite figured out about the solo films:
It's part of ONE story, which, if you had actually read print comics growing up, you would know how that worked.  You don't say "Let's introduce all our characters one by one, so they'll all meet up in '20, and then give them more films of their own 'cause they're so popular!", it's the fact that, well, you had to explain who Captain America was, before the Avengers found him in the ice.  
Just about any Marvel hero's origin is the proverbial It's Sort of A Long Story...
There's been some solo burnout, so Civil War came up with the idea of teasing us with some semi-origins of Spiderman and Black Panther in action before we knew who they were, and providing the later solo explanation now that we were curious to find out and see more.  (Which, to be fair, is how new characters often first appeared in comics, to begin with.)

Every solo film (at least at the early stages, before they started to lose their compass) was to explain something ELSE in another film:

We got an Ant-Man movie because it was supposed to introduce Michael Douglas as Dr. Hank Pym, hopefully in time for him to invent Ultron for "Avengers 2" like he did in the original story, but because of delays, that didn't happen.  

We were introduced to the Guardians because SOMEONE had to take us into Marvel's "space" canon so that Benecio Del Toro could explain about the gems and the Gauntlet, which will be the central plot focal point of Avengers 3--But the only other characters who'd heard of it, like the Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four, were already "held hostage" from their earlier films at Fox, and these guys, true to their image, were All We Had Left.

I'm not asking you non-fans and other "interloper" studios to understand how this all supposed to work, just don't try thinking you can do it BETTER if you haven't already been doing it at a corner comic-book store or NY office on 50th St. for the last fifty years.

the marvel bullpen disbanded decades ago and I wouldn't let a dog sit through any of these infernal modern superhero movies.

so alotta teenage girls go to see the new wonder woman. so are they gonna try and beat up their boyfriends the next time they act up? 

you'd think DC woulda gotten the message when nobody went ape **** over seth rogen as green lantern.

:lol:

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited For Language

you'd think DC woulda gotten the message when nobody went ape **** over seth rogen as green lantern.

Seth Rogen played the Green Hornet.

• Like 1

Was not planning to see Wonder Woman on its first run, was going to catch it later.  BUT...have changed my mind.  This movie was set up to be a disappointment, but the word on the film has been so good that there's a real buzz.  Doesn't hurt that the summer film schedule looks to be a bit weak.  Props to Gal Gadot.

millennial-catering hollywood has no imagination whatsoever...

Wonder Woman meets The Creature from the Black Lagoon

or

Superman vs. Wonder Woman

lets see her take supes.

:lol:

millennial age kids have no idea of how powerful superman is. why in an old filmation JLA cartoon from the 1960s in dealing with an invading alien armada, Superman actually moved the entire earth!

the modern underpinnings of superman? go the the DC comics of the late 60s and early 70s drawn by curt swan. I remember they gave wonder woman a costume change back then. it was kind of a red long-sleeved body suit with a row of white stars down her front with nice boots and a belt.

they called it Diana Prince, the new Wonder Woman.

I'm still waiting for a live-action movie centered around HERBIE POPNECKER!  ;)

Sepiatone

Austin Mayor Responds To Man Angry About 'Wonder Woman' Screening

gettyimages-655001350_sq-43e5bbeec3d1852

Mayor of Austin, Texas, Steve Adler responded to a shrill letter writer on his website today. Above, Adler during the 2017 SXSW Conference in March.

Robert A Tobiansky/Getty Images for SXSW

As the Two-Way reported earlier this week, some men are quite perturbed about a women-only screening of Wonder Woman at an Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Austin, Texas.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/01/531108962/austin-mayor-responds-to-man-angry-about-wonder-woman-screening?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Austin Mayor Responds To Man Angry About 'Wonder Woman' Screening

Even though this was another maverick idea by the Alamo Drafthouse, oh, Warner, you do NOT want to turn this into another Ghostbusters.

(And I say that as a fan who liked the original old-school Justice League version of Diana, before the Black Widow "empowerment" fangirls suddenly barged in and all started to pretend they "read comics", just because they watched Agent Carter beat up guys.)

Did you say global Warming?

No, he said "GLOBAL opening", because studios are now obsessed with whether Shanghai and Seoul will go to see Pirates 5 and Baywatch, after we didn't.

(Gee, it's CGI-effect blockbuster, non-political fantasy, and has big action sequences that don't need a lot of nasty old dialogue-translation, they probably won't!...) :P

No, he said "GLOBAL opening", because studios are now obsessed with whether Shanghai and Seoul will go to see Pirates 5 and Baywatch, after we didn't.

Yes, that's exactly why I said it. It had no connection to the title of thread. It was because I'm concerned with what the studios are obsessed with.

tumblr_nj1nh6048V1sr1ki0o2_400.gif

Yes, that's exactly why I said it. It had no connection to the title of thread. It was because I'm concerned with what the studios are obsessed with.

I take it that's sarcasm (er, is it?), but yes, the "But CHINA liked it!" smoke-and-mirrors attempt for studios to spin world box office as if it's something that domestic box office should even care about--dating back to "Huh?  Pirates 4 'made a billion'??  Didn't it wretchedly tank over here?"--is starting to be seen as the new thumb-sucking security blanket for studios to believe that no movie they make will ever, ever flop, so long as they have their overseas pen pals and digital pre-orders.

It's become the Hollywood equivalent of "My mom thinks I'm cool!"

Even worse, it's hard to describe realistically why no one who doesn't happen to work for a corporate studio should even remotely care what non-English-speaking Asian or European markets thought of it, without falling into either:

A) jingoistic traps of complaining about China's state-run theater system, which forbids anything Western, religious or capitalist, and has pretty much reduced the domestic Chinese film industry to a safe rut of romantic comedy, historical or period-action fantasy.  ("Sheesh, no wonder they like the Transformers so much!")

or

B ) the above-mentioned traps of "Cultural ethnicism", putting the Chinese's love of cheesy CGI Hollywood-blockbuster Warcraft into the same category that we put jokes about the French liking Jerry Lewis, the Germans liking David Hasselhoff, and the Australians liking Yahoo Serious.

an interesting bit of trivia. I once read that the ancient amazon warriors in order to not inhibit their sword arm would cut off one of their b**bs. :o  :huh:

an interesting bit of trivia. I once read that the ancient amazon warriors in order to not inhibit their sword arm would cut off one of their b**bs. :o  :huh:

abandoning their male infants was bad enough but self-mutilation? :huh:

I thought it was because they were archers, not swordswomen.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I thought it was because they were archers, not swordswomen.  :ph34r:

yeah, that's right, archers.