jakeem

Star centennial birthdays

53 posts in this topic

I just realized that Dean Martin's 100th birthday is Wednesday. Lena Horne's is on June 30th. 

Susan Hayward -- also born on June 30th -- gets a TCM birthday salute this month. And Robert Mitchum's Summer Under the Stars tribute on August 6 coincides with his 100th birthday. Has anyone noticed any other TCM 100th birthday celebrations in the weeks ahead?

Dean_Martin_and_Susan_Hayward_in_Ada.jpg

Martin and Hayward would have observed their 100th birthdays this month

Here are some other upcoming centennial birthdays to remember:

• Mel Ferrer (August 25, 1917)
  • June Allyson (October 7, 2017)
  • Marsha Hunt (October 17, 2017 -- hope she's well!)
  • Joan Fontaine (October 22, 2017)

And here is a list for next year:

• Ida Lupino (February 4, 1918)
  • William Holden (April 17, 2018)
  • Robert Preston (June 8, 2018)
  • Ingmar Bergman (July 14, 2018)
  • Alan Jay Lerner (August 31, 2018)
  • Robert Walker (October 13, 2018)
  • Rita Hayworth (October 17, 2018)

• Like 2

It's already passed, but Desi Arnaz' 100th birthday was March 2.

• Like 1

It's nice to recognize centennial birthdays.

A few really lovely dancers whose 100th has passed this year:

Lucille Bremer-  2/21

Vera Zorina-  1/2

One of my favorite British actresses, Valerie Hobson, had her centennial on 4/14.

A few others that have already occurred this year:

Jane Wyman- 1/5

Ernest Borgnine- 1/24

Dinah Shore-  2/29

Hans Conreid-  4/15

Celeste Holm- 4/29

Raymund Burr- 5/21

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to the wonderful Herbert Lom, born Sept 11, 1917!

Now I understand why TCM is having a tribute to Herbert Lom on the evening of Monday, September 25th!  The scheduled films include:

The Dark Tower (1943)

Phantom of the Opera (1962) (a TCM premiere)

The Man Who Watched Trains Go By (1952) (a TCM premiere)

The Ladykillers (1956)

Twist of Fate (1954)

A Shot in the Dark (1964)

Better late than never!

:)

Audrey Totter was born on Dec. 20 1917. Hopefully Eddie Muller will do something about that on Noir Alley. She's one of my FAVORITE femme fatales.

Audrey Totter was born on Dec. 20 1917. Hopefully Eddie Muller will do something about that on Noir Alley. She's one of my FAVORITE femme fatales.

I like Totter and she was in many fine noirs but she was a femme fatale in only one of them, Tension. 

In the others,  Lady in the Lake,  The High Wall,  The Postman Always Rings Twice,  The Set-Up,  and The Unsuspected,  she was either on the side of the male noir protagonist or just an axillary women character.   

I like Totter and she was in many fine noirs but she was a femme fatale in only one of them, Tension. 

In the others,  Lady in the Lake,  The High Wall,  The Postman AI lways Rings Twice,  The Set-Up,  and The Unsuspected,  she was either on the side of the male noir protagonist or just an axillary women character.   

Maybe I used the term too lightly but Totter played some gold-digging, two-timing women to her male co-stars. As far as I'm concerned she's an actress who enters a picture and things go downhill from there. That's what I was thinking.

"High Wall" and "Tension" come to mind. Her actions and her motivations-- everything about her is usually bad news to the men around her. Plus her looks and voice just add to the toxic combo. I guess it wasn't true in all her movies; but when I see her name in the credits I know she'll be up to no good and I'll have a good time watching her.

Maybe I used the term too lightly but Totter played some gold-digging, two-timing women to her male co-stars. As far as I'm concerned she's an actress who enters a picture and things go downhill from there. That's what I was thinking.

"High Wall" and "Tension" come to mind. Her actions and her motivations-- everything about her is usually bad news to the men around her. Plus her looks and voice just add to the toxic combo. I guess it wasn't true in all her movies; but when I see her name in the credits I know she'll be up to no good and I'll have a good time watching her.

In High Wall she was a good doctor that is very helpful to the suffering Robert Taylor.     Sorry,  but I believe your doing what many people do with noir actors;   they see one noir performance where the character is toxic (like Tension for Totter,  or Out of the Past for Greer,  or even the queen of noir Gloria Grahame),  and believe that is their typical performance.     This just isn't the case for most actresses and their noir films   (but the 'bad girl' \ femme fatale roles are often the standout role for an actress).

E.g.  Lizabeth Scott;  She was a femme fatale in Dead Reckoning and Too Late for Tears,  but she was a fairly 'normal' (decent) gal in Dark City, I Walk Alone,  The Racket,  and The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers.   (and even in The Pitfall, while she filled a femme fatale role, the only thing illegal she did was accept gifts that she knew must have been stolen).     

Claire Trevor was a 'bad girl' in most of her noir films,  but she is the exception to the rule,  not the norm.

Note the same is true for actors;   yea, Mitchum was a very bad boy in Night of the Hunter and Cape Fear but in most noirs he is just a decent guy that finds himself in a very dark situation.   

Happy centennial birthday today to lovely Ann Rutherford, born Nov 2, 1917!

Some interesting centennials this month:

author Arthur C. Clarke - December 16

actor Ossie Davis - December 18

actor Paul Brinegar - December 19

actress Audrey Totter - December 20

TV host Gene Rayburn - December 22

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Annette Bochenek said:

I goofed and I can't delete the post!

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, jakeem said:

I just realized that Dean Martin's 100th birthday is Wednesday. Lena Horne's is on June 30th. 

Susan Hayward -- also born on June 30th -- gets a TCM birthday salute this month. And Robert Mitchum's Summer Under the Stars tribute on August 6 coincides with his 100th birthday. Has anyone noticed any other TCM 100th birthday celebrations in the weeks ahead?

Dean_Martin_and_Susan_Hayward_in_Ada.jpg

Martin and Hayward would have observed their 100th birthdays this month

Here are some other upcoming centennial birthdays to remember:

• Mel Ferrer (August 25, 1917)
  • June Allyson (October 7, 2017)
  • Marsha Hunt (October 17, 2017 -- hope she's well!)
  • Joan Fontaine (October 22, 2017)

& TCM didn't do anything for *Sinatra's birthday on December 12th though?

On 6/2/2017 at 7:44 AM, jakeem said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 6.03.50 AM.png

Don't forget the great John Forsythe. His hundredth birthday occurs on January 29, 2018.

He's never had a primetime spotlight on TCM. And after all, he was in two Hitchcock films plus IN COLD BLOOD.