Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Impeachment AND Conviction, 25th Amendment or Censure

199 posts in this topic

Impeachment keeps coming up on different threads, so I thought might be a good time to separate it out and to explain it.

Anybody with a different description, please feel free to post.

Impeachment is the process that the House of Representatives uses to determine there is reason to believe that the president or other official has committed an action which warrants removal from office.

Sort of like an indictment in regular courts.

Takes a simple majority to vote for impeachment.

If impeachment bill is passed, it goes to the Senate where a hearing is held.  I believe the Chief Justice presides.  Certain members of the House are certified to present the "case." 

The Senate must vote by 2/3's majority to convict and remove the person from office.

Impeachment is only the first of two steps.  Conviction is the important one.

There have only been two impeachments of presidents (Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton) and neither resulted in a conviction.  Both times, the opposition party controlled both houses of Congress.

Currently, the Republicans (Trump's party) controls both houses of Congress, especially the House.

• Like 2

Richard Nixon would have been impeached and convicted.    At least that is what he believed, so he resigned before that was necessary.

• Like 1

Some of the forerunners of the Impeachment process are already in place; a House Committee, a Senate Committee, and a Special Prosecutor all looking into Trumps' doings with Russia, pre and during Presidency.  Past and present members of Trump's staff are under suspicion/being subpoenaed by one/all three.  Talk of the state of the President's mental health (this was gossiped about during Nixon's last year or so in Office).  The President making statements that are used as evidence against him (anyone remember Nixon saying "I am not a crook"?).  Falling popularity of an already unpopular President.

The Watergate burglary was in summer 1972.  Nixon resigned in summer 1974.  It remains to be seen which political party will be in control of Congress 2 years from now.  By or before June 2018, Republicans may have to choose between supporting Trump and their own political survival.

Give the dominoes time to fall.  If--and that's a HUGE if--there's fire behind all that smoke, the Special Prosecutor will find it.  If Trump fires Mueller, that's another piece of the puzzle in place.

• Like 5

Some of the forerunners of the Impeachment process are already in place; a House Committee, a Senate Committee, and a Special Prosecutor all looking into Trumps' doings with Russia, pre and during Presidency.  Past and present members of Trump's staff are under suspicion/being subpoenaed by one/all three.  Talk of the state of the President's mental health (this was gossiped about during Nixon's last year or so in Office).  The President making statements that are used as evidence against him (anyone remember Nixon saying "I am not a crook"?).  Falling popularity of an already unpopular President.

The Watergate burglary was in summer 1972.  Nixon resigned in summer 1974.  It remains to be seen which political party will be in control of Congress 2 years from now.  By or before June 2018, Republicans may have to choose between supporting Trump and their own political survival.

Give the dominoes time to fall.  If--and that's a HUGE if--there's fire behind all that smoke, the Special Prosecutor will find it.  If Trump fires Mueller, that's another piece of the puzzle in place.

I don't believe that the GOP would never impeach Trump because he is one of their own which is why I mentioned Nixon.     If Trump is found to have committed crimes,  GOP members in Congress, especially those in purple states, may feel they have to dump Trump in order to save their own skin.    GOP Senators like McCain and Graham would welcome the opportunity to vote to convict Trump. 

Yes,  the Dems had majorities in Congress when Nixon was busted,  but for a conviction some GOP Senators would have had to vote against Nixon.     Something similar could happen to Trump depending on the nature of his offensives and his approval rating from the conservative-GOP general public \ voters. 

• Like 2

Lindsay Graham is doing a pretty good job for Trump at the moment going on television characterizing Comey as a liar and a blowhard and potential leaker.  Graham is a self-serving goon.

• Like 3

Lindsay Graham is doing a pretty good job for Trump at the moment going on television characterizing Comey as a liar and a blowhard and potential leaker. Graham is a self-serving goon.

A duplicitous fake is how I would describe him-- with Little Marco bringing up the rear.

• Like 3

Lindsay Graham is doing a pretty good job for Trump at the moment going on television characterizing Comey as a liar and a blowhard and potential leaker.  Graham is a self-serving goon.

The irony is that I have followed Graham since he was my representative.  He is the most "moderate" member of South Carolina's current Congressional delegation.

He said that Trump was totally unfit to be president and many more nasty things during the campaign.

While Graham voted for McMullin, he did not campaign for him nor campaign against Trump.  Of course, he knew that Trump had S.C. securely in the bag.  He also voted to approve all of Trump's nominees.

Graham will be running for reelection in 2020 in a super conservative, pro-Trump state.  If Trump were impeached, the Senate trial would be so close to the 2020 primaries as to cause problems for Graham.  Seven people ran against him in the 2014 primaries.  Although none of them were really very high caliber.

There are six Republican representatives from S.C., any of which would want to be senator.  In addition, Nikki Haley is floating around out there and a Senate seat is about the only elective office she can run for in S.C.  Not to mention a large number of super conservatives.

Point is that we cannot rely on any Republican Senator to vote for conviction if it gets that far.  Before they can run for reelection, they have to get past a Republican primary.

But, it still has to get past the House of Representatives before it even becomes an issue for the Senate.  The Republicans in the House are much less likely to vote for impeachment of a Republican (any Republican) president.  They would also have to consider being primaried by someone if they did.

• Like 1

A duplicitous fake is how I would describe him-- with Little Marco bringing up the rear.

Agreed.  He's playing both sides of the fence.  A total fake.

• Like 1

Nothing, I suspect, to what certain attack dog GOPs and Trump surrogates will be saying about Comey's character after Thursday's testimony (assuming he gives it).

• Like 1

Agreed.  He's [Lindsey Graham] playing both sides of the fence.  A total fake.

Actually he is only playing both ends of one side of the fence.  In fact, he is probably playing between the middle and one end of one side.  Betwixt Moderate Republican and Extremist Republican.

However, all politicians are "fake" to some extent.  You don't get elected or appointed if you do not know when to say something you really don't believe or not say something you do.

It is unfortunate, but true of any country that has a democracy.  Also known as compormising.

Of course we could always have more "non-fake" such as the Tea Party, House Freedom Caucus and other Republican extremists.

Not defending Graham, but politics is far more complicated than many understand.

The very liberal Dianne Feinstein admitted they haven't found squat. Just a few days ago former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told CNN, no evidence was found.   Good luck on the fantasy of impeachment.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/05/05/feinstein-we-have-zero-evidence-of-russian-collusion-during-2016-campaign-n2322991

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/05/30/clapper_no_direct_evidence_of_political_collusion_between_the_trump_campaign_and_the_russians.html

0.png

The very liberal Dianne Feinstein admitted they haven't found squat. Just a few days ago former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told CNN, no evidence was found.   Good luck on the fantasy of impeachment.

Remember this:

Nixon had to resign before he was impeached, convicted and removed from office because of the cover up in which his White House administration was engaged.  NOT because of the Watergate break-in itself.

If he had not resigned, he would have been impeached, tried and likely convicted for obstruction of justice or similar.

Bill Clinton was impeached because of lying under oath, NOT because he had a "relationship" with an intern or his involvement in White Water or anything else.

Obstruction of justice (covering up) may be what gets Trump into hot water.  While it is doubtful the Republicans would vote for impeachment, they would have to consider it in the House or explain why they weren't.  The Dems may not have enough votes to start impeachment hearing, but they could make it very rough on the Republicans in swing and purple states that oppose it.

• Like 2

The very liberal Dianne Feinstein admitted they haven't found squat. Just a few days ago former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told CNN, no evidence was found. Good luck on the fantasy of impeachment.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/05/05/feinstein-we-have-zero-evidence-of-russian-collusion-during-2016-campaign-n2322991

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/05/30/clapper_no_direct_evidence_of_political_collusion_between_the_trump_campaign_and_the_russians.html

0.png

Ok now. You and every other Trump apologist, including Trump, keep saying this. There has not been one statement issued by any of the investigations that the particular investigation is closed, And that nothing as found. These investigations are NOT OVER, something may, most likely will still be found.
  • Like 2

Ok now. You and every other Trump apologist, including Trump, keep saying this. There has not been one statement issued by any of the investigations that the particular investigation is closed, And that nothing as found. These investigations are NOT OVER, something may, most likely will still be found.

Or it has already been found and they are sitting on it waiting to get testimony under oath to see if the players are going to further implicate themselves by lying about it all.  Flynn likely compounded his problems by doing this.

Though he wasn't under oath Trump has already lied when he said he knew nothing about a Flynn investigation weeks after he had been informed.  He denied knowing to reporters on Air Force One when the Post broke the story.

• Like 2

as TheCid has pointed out the GOP has control of the government so doan build yourselves up to a great disappointment.

you underestimated trump and overestimated hillary.

a great fateful turn of events deserves respect.

doan wait for the movie, watch it live. :lol:

as TheCid has pointed out the GOP has control of the government so doan build yourselves up to a great disappointment.

you underestimated trump and overestimated hillary.

a great fateful turn of events deserves respect.

doan wait for the movie, watch it live. :lol:

Which has caused a new mental illness "Hate Trump Psychosis".

Time will tell how long they will...

Untitled-1%5B10%5D.jpg

...until Trump is impeached.

Which has caused a new mental illness "Hate Trump Psychosis".

Donald Trump has been a scumbag and a jackass since he entered the public arena over 30 years ago. It has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump is a lying, crooked, double-dealing slum-lord slimeball, which has been proven time and again for the past three decades in courtrooms and on television screens. And that didn't change when you voted him into office. He's the same ignorant self-serving con-man taking the rubes for all they're worth.

You can stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes tight, and go "LALALALA" all day long, but Trump's character is on display daily if you'd actually look.

• Like 3

hamradio--does that mean all anti-Obama posts are due to "Hate Obama Psychosis"?

Don't recall anyone being THIS upset over Obama winning.  I only disagreed with policies NOT the man.

I wish no ill will upon ANY president!

• Like 1

You misinterpreted the statement.  A problem that you share with Trump.

The GOP does not "control" the government; they control Congress.  There is a difference.  In North Korea, Russia, China, Iran, etc.; there wouldn't be a difference, but in the good ol' USA there is.

The government are the ones investigating Trump and the ones who will prosecute any wrongdoers, other than Trump.  In the end, that may be enough to undo Trump.

My point is that impeachment and conviction are very unlikely (but not impossible) as long as the Republicans have majorities in House and Senate. But, it Trump continues to do dumb things and say dumb things, he may lose their support.  Pence is waiting in the wings - and they like him a lot better than they like Trump.

• Like 3

Donald Trump has been a scumbag and a jackass since he entered the public arena over 30 years ago. It has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump is a lying, crooked, double-dealing slum-lord slimeball, which has been proven time and again for the past three decades in courtrooms and on television screens. And that didn't change when you voted him into office. He's the same ignorant self-serving con-man taking the rubes for all they're worth.

You can stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes tight, and go "LALALALA" all day long, but Trump's character is on display daily if you'd actually look.

He's a ruthless businessman NOT a politician.  These types takes no prisoners. Did you expect different?

• Like 1

He's a ruthless businessman NOT a politician.  These types takes no prisoners. Did you expect different?

I guess that's where you and I differ. I don't excuse morally corrupt and reprehensible behavior just because "it's business". That speaks more to your character than anything else.

• Like 3

hamradio--If I had a specific issue with you, I would have stated it, as I did with MovieMadness.  The post was aimed at ALL anti-Obama posts.  I didn't say or mean you had any ill will toward ANY President.

I suspect if Vice President Pence had won the Presidency, there would be far fewer posts against him personally.  Trump is, in my opinion, the most unqualified person, Republican or Democrat, to win the Presidency in my lifetime.  That accounts for most of the anti-Trump posts.

• Like 2