TheCid

Impeachment AND Conviction, Impeachment Inquiry, 25th Amendment or Censure

479 posts in this topic

As I already said, yes in the court of public opinion, Donnywouldn't stand a chance. But in a court of law, I can seehis lawyer working like hell on the he said/he said theme.

As mentioned here, Comey's contemporaneous memos immediately after his conversations with Trump will hold weight in a trial. Trump's trump card of executive privilege will be null if Trump publicly broached certain topics, AND it does not work if it is related to criminal activity. Trump has stated he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation, and Comey has testified feeling the pressure by Trump to back off the investigslation, more than once, while dangling his job in front of him. And remember, this is just one tip of a multi-pronged iceberg, and many more revelations to come. So the Comey issue is just one of many the Trump White House will be dealing with.

• Like 1

As I already said, yes in the court of public opinion, Donny

wouldn't stand a chance. But in a court of law, I can see

his lawyer working like hell on the he said/he said theme.

No court of law involved.  As president he can only be "tried" by Congress.  So the Republicans in the House would be put on the hot seat to defend Trump and themselves as to why he should not be impeached and then tried in the Senate.

I still don't see him being impeached, much less convicted and removed with currnent Congress.

But it will be emabarrasing for the Republicans and detract from their agendas.

If by some miracle the Dems actually gain control of the House in 2018, impeachment could be possible but still difficult politically.

Conviction in Senate requires 2/3 vote and that is not going to happen no matter who controls it.

Of course, we are less than 150 days into the Trump administration and it is already this bad. 

• Like 3

As mentioned here, Comey's contemporaneous memos immediately after his conversations with Trump will hold weight in a trial. Trump's trump card of executive privilege will be null if Trump publicly broached certain topics, AND it does not work if it is related to criminal activity. Trump has stated he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation, and Comey has testified feeling the pressure by Trump to back off the investigslation, more than once, while dangling his job in front of him. And remember, this is just one tip of a multi-pronged iceberg, and many more revelations to come. So the Comey issue is just one of many the Trump White House will be dealing with.

All this is true, but I doubt the GOP is going anywhere near

impeachment on what has come out so far. Trump will have to do

something really drastic before his party will do anything, and

even then who knows.

• Like 2

No court of law involved.  As president he can only be "tried" by Congress.  So the Republicans in the House would be put on the hot seat to defend Trump and themselves as to why he should not be impeached and then tried in the Senate.

I still don't see him being impeached, much less convicted and removed with currnent Congress.

But it will be emabarrasing for the Republicans and detract from their agendas.

If by some miracle the Dems actually gain control of the House in 2018, impeachment could be possible but still difficult politically.

Conviction in Senate requires 2/3 vote and that is not going to happen no matter who controls it.

Of course, we are less than 150 days into the Trump administration and it is already this bad.

Yes, the testimony of Comey will come nowhere near to causing

a look into impeachment. I think that is petty much off the table

unless, as I said before, Dumb Donny does something that just

cannot be ignored, even by his own party, and then, who knows.

So for now people will just have to settle for Trump making a

fool of himself every day.

• Like 2

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is to be questioned by the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday, June 13th, instead of the Budget Committee.

Source-CNN Television.

So, okay it seems as POTUS Trump may be impervious to criminal indictment for just about all possible crimes.  But what about those committed before he took office? Who knows what Mueller may dig up there.

• Like 1

So, okay it seems as POTUS Trump may be impervious to criminal indictment for just about all possible crimes.  But what about those committed before he took office? Who knows what Mueller may dig up there.

He's still the president.  Would have to ask a legal expert, but think he is technically immune as long as president.  Unless of course, the Republicans in House decide to do something.

• Like 1

He's still the president.  Would have to ask a legal expert, but think he is technically immune as long as president.  Unless of course, the Republicans in House decide to do something.

The ongoing law suits against Trump before he became President are still proceeding.  He doesn't have immunity from them.  So maybe he could still be liable for any (newly found) illegal acts that occurred before the inauguration?

• Like 1

The ongoing law suits against Trump before he became President are still proceeding.  He doesn't have immunity from them.  So maybe he could still be liable for any (newly found) illegal acts that occurred before the inauguration?

This is about the most definitive I can find.

Two issues are civil and criminal actions. Concensus seems to be that it is undecided on criminal because nobody has tried it yet and Supreme Court has not ruled on it.  

Whereas in Clinton v. Jones, the Supreme Court ruled that a sitting president could face a civil suit.

Interestingly, the impeachment proceedings for both Clinton and Nixon were based on obstruction of justice.  

The article concludes that no much chance of Trump being impeached unless Democrats take over the House.

politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/may/17/obstruction-justice-presidential-immunity-impeachm/

• Like 1

This is first time I have watched one of these.  

He is inaccurate in some respects.  Watergate and current Russia investigation are not that similar.  In addition, the Democrats controlled Congress in 1974, whereas the Republicans control both houses now and probably will after 2018 as well.  That means zero threat of Trump being impeached, much less convicted.

The Watergate break in was a proven criminal act by agents of the Republican committee to reelect Nixon.  The Russia thing is probably true, but unproven and nebulous in its extent and impact.  More dangerous, but not understood/accepted by most Americans.

In addition, AG Sessions will do whatever Trump wants or he will be fired and he knows it.  So, no "massacre" as much as the media and pundits like to use that term.  Not to mention that his handlers may be getting a little better control over Trump's most egregious actions.

Need to remember that purpose of the investigation is to determine extent of Russian involvement in 2016 election.  Is Trump campaign collusion actually even part of that?  Some say yes, some say no.  Regardless, it will be much more difficult to prove and link unless there are several "smoking guns" out there.

Compared to some of the other crazies out there commenting on

politics, Keith isn't that bad, though I don't agree with everything 

he says. I like how it's obvious he's reading from a teleprompter,

but he turns over the pages he's holding as if he's actually reading

them. Maybe some sort of newsman nostalgia. Too bad Bobby Bork

never made it to the Supreme Court. :)

Compared to some of the other crazies out there commenting on

politics, Keith isn't that bad, though I don't agree with everything 

he says. I like how it's obvious he's reading from a teleprompter,

but he turns over the pages he's holding as if he's actually reading

them. Maybe some sort of newsman nostalgia. Too bad Bobby Bork

never made it to the Supreme Court. :)

He's entertaining.

He's entertaining.

And not to go all GQ on the guy, but that tie knot needs to move

up so there's no white shirt showing. Dress for resistance. 

• Like 1

In any other country there would be tens of thousands of people in the streets every day demanding his resignation...

• Like 3

Any PM in Great Britain would be hearing deafening shouts for him or her to step down immediately if they had made that vile misogynistic tweet of Trump's.  

• Like 2

Considering Trump's latest tweet storms over Morning Joe, CNN, MSNBC and state's refusing his "request" for voting records, it is time for US Senate to censure him.

It would not carry any significant weight, but it would indicate dissatisfaction with his ever worsening antics.

It would also result in having the senators actually show whether they disapprove of what he is doing or not.

Of course, Trump would probably be pleased as the only president ever censured was his hero Andrew Jackson. His base would be ecstatic and interpret it as showing how great he is.

Ironically, it would only take 3 GOP senators to make it happen, assuming all Democrats and independents vote for it.

• Like 3

Considering Trump's latest tweet storms over Morning Joe, CNN, MSNBC and state's refusing his "request" for voting records, it is time for US Senate to censure him.

It would not carry any significant weight, but it would indicate dissatisfaction with his ever worsening antics.

It would also result in having the senators actually show whether they disapprove of what he is doing or not.

Of course, Trump would probably be pleased as the only president ever censured was his hero Andrew Jackson. His base would be ecstatic and interpret it as showing how great he is.

Ironically, it would only take 3 GOP senators to make it happen, assuming all Democrats and independents vote for it.

I suspect that the only reason Andrew Jackson is Trump's hero is that it is the only book that he can recall ever reading,  Wasn't it given to him by Bannion or somebody quite recently?  I betcha Trump is stalled at about page 30-seomthing about now.  That civil war Jackson stuff was probably related to him by the person recommending the book.  That's why Trump was confused by the dates.

• Like 1

I just don't see Donny as the dueling type. 

Takes some guts.

• Like 1

Massive Crowds Expected at March for the Impeachment of Trump-

"a march for the impeachment of Donald Trump. As we reported back in May, Trump’s chances of getting impeached increased soon after it was announced that former FBI Director Robert Mueller would be launching an independent probe into the possible collusions between his campaign and Russian officials. Since then, the polls have shown that 43 percent of the American people support beginning the impeachment process against the President, which Democratic congressman Al Green began in early June......

The protest, officially called the “Impeachment March,” will be taking place in Los Angeles at 12:00pm PDT and last three hours.....

http://reverbpress.com/news/massive-crowds-march-impeachment-trump/

& http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-impeachment-march-20170702-story.html

• Like 1

Massive Crowds Expected at March for the Impeachment of Trump-

"a march for the impeachment of Donald Trump. As we reported back in May, Trump’s chances of getting impeached increased soon after it was announced that former FBI Director Robert Mueller would be launching an independent probe into the possible collusions between his campaign and Russian officials. Since then, the polls have shown that 43 percent of the American people support beginning the impeachment process against the President, which Democratic congressman Al Green began in early June......

The protest, officially called the “Impeachment March,” will be taking place in Los Angeles at 12:00pm PDT and last three hours.....

Again, more meaningless national poll data.    A meaningful poll would be by GOP House districts;    My guess is that in most of those GOP districts < 20% support impeachment and that NONE of those districts would get close to 40%.

Note were the protest is being held; L.A.  California.    Yea,  if up to CA Clinton would be President.    :blink:      

"Organizers said President Trump has “repeatedly demonstrated himself to be a threat to the Bill of Rights that protects the very livelihood of the American people. From banning the press, to the systematic attacks on women’s rights, to the Muslim travel ban, President Trump gives flippant disregard to the document upon which this country was founded.”

The Impeachment March is taking place across 45 other cities in the United States....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/impeachment-march-denver-hundreds-to-protest-trump-as-4th-of-july-nears

• Like 3

"Organizers said President Trump has “repeatedly demonstrated himself to be a threat to the Bill of Rights that protects the very livelihood of the American people. From banning the press, to the systematic attacks on women’s rights, to the Muslim travel ban, President Trump gives flippant disregard to the document upon which this country was founded.”

The Impeachment March is taking place across 45 other cities in the United States....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/impeachment-march-denver-hundreds-to-protest-trump-as-4th-of-july-nears

The only thing this will accomplish is to maybe scare a few Republican representatives and senators, just maybe.

Trump will never be impeached, much less convicted.