Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

336 posts in this topic

[nobr]Wistful, brunette beauty Natalie Wood was born Natalya Nikolaevna Zakharenko to Russian parents in San Francisco in 1938 and drowned tragically off Catalina Island in 1981. The petite, 5-foot tall actress started appearing in films at the tender age of four and was one of the most successful in Hollywood at transitioning from child star to mature actress. Natalie had two daughters, one from second husband Richard Gregson, and another from first and second husband Robert Wagner. Her sister, Lana Wood, also is an actress, most notable for appearing as a Bond girl "Plenty O'Toole" in Diamonds Are Forever.[/nobr]

[nobr]Some trivia tidbits courtesy imdb.com and me:[/nobr]

[nobr]* Nominated three times for an Academy Award (Rebel Without a Cause, Splendor in the Grass and Love With the Proper Stranger)[/nobr]

[nobr]* Had a mortal fear of drowning since childhood[/nobr]

[nobr]* Dated Elvis Presley in the 1950s and may have married him, but his mother did not approve. In the 50s, Natalie had a reputation as one of "Hollywood's Bad Girls", along with Janet Leigh and Debbie Reynolds (!) [/nobr]

[nobr]* Her mother was a ballerina and Natalie studied ballet since she was a tot. Later, she would attend the same ballet classes as Robert Wagner's current wife Jill St. John, and his TV wife, Stefanie Powers.[/nobr]

[nobr]* Her favorite actress, and mine, was Vivien Leigh![/nobr]

[nobr]

Natcloseup.jpg[/nobr]

A beautiful woman inside and out. Her death was heartbreaking, a waste of a good human being. I'm glad she and Robert reconnected and had a legendary love for each other. I've rarely heard a bad word spoken about her, which is rare. I thought about her on July 20th, her birthday. She woulda been sixty-nine. I'm sure whereever she is now, Natalie is making others happy as only she can.

O what a girl!

She was only five feet tall?

I think I first saw her in Sex and the Single Girl, but I'll never forget the first time I saw the burlesque montage in Gypsy. It was quite an experience, and I'm sure my nine-year old eyes didn't blink.

More, please!

I love Natalie Wood.

I haven't seen all her films though but from what I have seen she was an amazing actress to say the least. As well as naturally gorgeous.

I'm afraid I don't know much about her biography so I enjoyed reading that little bio you provided MissGoddess.

I can't believe she died so young!

Only 69. She would still be what I call "young". It is particularly sad because I think she developed into a very strong and appealing mature actress. I also think at least one more Academy award would have been in her future, and many performances worthy of it.

FG: Natalie had the gift in that her performances, her characters, had a way of communicating directly to the audience, reaching their hearts. You could see the real vulnerability in her eyes and I think that always grabs people.

Hi, LuckyD---I was surprised to learn she was so tiny, too, but she more than pleasingly filled the big screen. I remember seeing Gypsy as a twelve-year-old on TV and forming the quite serious resolution of becoming a professional stripper. My parents soon put a period to that ambition. ;)

I have always thought that Natalie Wood, Ava Gardner and Brigitte Bardot had the best figures in movies. Unbelievably small waists, all of them.

Hi KJ Angel---yes, Natalie was cut off in her prime. I have visited the graves of only two Hollywood figures, Natalie's and Marilyn's (they are both in the same cemetary). I left a rose for each.

I really do hope that a nice selection of her films will be released one day on dvd, either individually or in a suitable box set. We still do not have one of her best, her Oscar-nominated Love With the Proper Stranger and it scarcely ever gets played on TV, either. It's my favorite of all her films. I even like Steve McQueen in it, because for once he can't help but be softened up by her vulnerability.

And I include her child performance among my favorites, too---she and Hayley Mills are my favorite child stars. The little refugee she played in Tomorrow is Forever was just too touching, and of course she was little "Anna" in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Miss G

[nobr]If you look closely, Nat is wearing a bracelet to disguise the fact that due to a childhood accident, her wrist developed a slight protrusion and in all her movies and pictures she would try to disguise it with jewelry and clothing.[/nobr]

[nobr]

NWPortrait.jpg[/nobr]

Hi Miss Goddess, Natalie was one of the few child stars who`s career continued to adulthood. Talent and beauty and Natalie herself won out. I agree with you about "Love With The Proper Stranger". This movie was shown as a retrospective to honor the producer Alan J. Pakula. He had died tragically in a car accident, and this movie was made when Alan was still producing/Robert Mulligan directing. "Marjorie Morningstar" is my other favorite Natalie performance. I love the Catskills locations, and Gene Kelly played a version of himself. This is another movie that is seldom seen, and it is a shame. My list of Natalie Wood must see films are: Tomorrow Is Forever

Miracle On 34th Street

The Ghost And Mrs. Muir

Our Very Own

The Blue Veil (this movie is never shown}

The Star

Rebel Without A Cause

The Searchers

Kings Go Forth

Marjorie Morningstar

Cash McCall

Splendor In The Grass

West Side Story

Gypsy

Love With The Proper Stranger

Inside Daisy Clover

The Cracker Factory

I love your list, Cashette, and it includes a couple I've never seen: The Blue Veil, Our Very Own (this one sounds familiar) and The Cracker Factory.

These are my tippy top favorits:

Love with the Proper Stranger

Kings Go Forth (I love the pairing of Sinatra and Natalie--I wish they'd done more movies together!)

Cash McCall (this movie is James Garner-heaven, he's so gorgeous in it! And so is Natalie, wearing some beautiful outfits designed for her)

Marjorie Morningstar (I bought the vhs of this movie because I just had to have it---it would be worth of incluing in any NW box set. Gene Kelly was really good and believable, and I like Carolyn Jones' character, her best friend)

This Property is Condemned (but it's so sad---I hate the ending!)

The Ghose and Mrs. Muir

Tomorrow is Forever

The Star