Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

336 posts in this topic

"Our Very Own" is a 1950 film which stars Ann Blyth and Farley Granger. Natalie plays her kid sister. Ann finds out that she is adopted, and she seeks out her birth mother. The great Ann Dvorak costars, and Jane Wyatt and Donald Cook are Ann`s parents. Farley hated mosted of his Goldwyn contract films, but this film is a winner for me.

What a nice treat...all the Natalie Wood photos. Thank you.

What a beauty she was. Watching her evolve from a tiny tot to a mature woman was an interesting experience, to say the least. It's difficult to pick one of her films as my favorite, but the last one I saw before her untimely death was among the best...The Cracker Factory. It promised a future of great contribution as a mature and accomplished performer. The role was demanding, following a woman down a path to destruction ; an alcoholic in full denial, but still a loving wife and mother. Her scenes in the rehab center are some of her best,a masterful balancing of anger and regret with heartbreaking humor. I don't know why this film hasn't been singled out as one of her best. Made for TV, yes, but nontheless very, very good.

OK then yes I have seen Our Very Own---that was a very moving film now that I remember. I would like to have that one recorded, if TCM can show it again.

Hi, VF!

You and Cashette really make me want to see The Cracker Factory....hmmm, I may have to pay a "visit" to Netflix....I hope it's on dvd.

The only made-for-tv movie I saw with Nat was a rather ho-hum one she did with Robert Wagner called "The Affair". I have that on on dvd. She does sing a song in it, but oh, boy, someone convinced her to cut off her beautiful hair into a most unflattering style and I still have problems with it! lol! The movie isn't directed very smoothly, either. Which is a pity, it's the only time they paired up on screen since their younger days (I believe, unless I've missed something).

I'll be posting even more pix later, I just didn't want to overwhelm everyone all at once! :)

Natalie`s fear of deep water manifested itself early. Stuart Heisler, the directer, wanted Natalie to dive off a sailboat and swim towards a nearby raft. When Natalie began screaming that she couldn`t do the scene, Bette Davis, who was playing her mother, came to her rescue. The scene was never shot.Sorry, I forgot to supply the movie title "The Star".

I never heard of that story with Bette, but I knew there were lots of instances where her fear of water had to be confronted in the course of her career. Poor thing. I really want to get Lana Wood's biography of her sister.

Thank you for those pictures, FG! I love the one in yellow---yellow and orange are my favorite colors and I think they look smashing on brunettes like Natalie.

MissGoddess, we think alike! :)

Natalie was so adoreable as a child, and what a true beauty she grew up to be, so gald you liked the photos..i love photos of her as a child as well..what a doll!

I have to try and post more in a few days.

FG

Well, a girl can have a hobby, can't she?

Thank you for taking the time to post these photos for us. And you've provided much information I was unaware of. Isn't it a bitter irony that she feared water all of her life?

Dennis Hopper tells a story about when he and Natalie and James Dean were very young actors, just starting out, they talked about all the wild, scandalous things the stars of the 1920s and 30s had done, and how they would like to emulate them.

They all decided that Natalie should take a champagne bath. So, they filled a tub with champagne for her and as soon as she sat down in it, she jumped up screaming and got out as fast as she could. They assumed the bubbles would tickle, I guess, but Natalie found out quickly that they stung quite harshly.

Natalie Wood. Ahhh, it still hurts to think of her passing.

She & Myrna Loy have the cutest noses in show business.

When I see Catherine Zeta-Jones, I think of Natalie Wood.

What a loss. It still hurts.

> miss Goddess, I own Lana Wood`s biography of her

> sister and also Gavin Lambert`s bio "Natalie Wood A

> Life".

I ordered Lana's biography so I should have it to read next week. Can't wait!