Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

September 2017 TCM Spotlight: Motion Picture & Television Fund

4 posts in this topic

spotlightsep2017_apt_678x230_08252017113

TCM salutes past and present residents and supporters of the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital, each Wednesday night in September.

636038514137257792-1.-In-her-first-movie

​105-year-old actress Connie Sawyer, the oldest living member of the Screen Actors Guild and a resident of the Motion Picture Home, joins TCM's Ben Mankiewicz on September 6 to introduce her feature film debut, A HOLE IN THE HEAD.

September 6

​LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY ('25)

​SHOWFOLK (2014)

​A HOLE IN THE HEAD ('59)

​THE WAY WE WERE ('73)

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS ('86)

Lillian+Michelson+TCM+Classic+Film+Festi

​Lillian Michelson, 89, pictured above with Danny DeVito at the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival, joins TCM's Ben Mankiewicz on September 13 to discuss a 2015 documentary about her life with her late husband, storyboard artists Harold Michelson.

​September 13

HAROLD AND LILLIAN: A HOLLYWOOD LOVE STORY (2015)

​CINDERELLA LIBERTY ('73)

​MY FAIR LADY ('64)

VICTOR/VICTORIA ('82)

​September 20

​IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT ('67)

​ROUSTABOUT ('65)

THE STONE KILLER ('73)

​A STAR IS BORN ('37)

KLUTE ('71)

​September 27

​HEIDI ('37)

SEALED CARGO ('51)

​McQ ('74)

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO ('65)

Ben Mankiewicz's Top Pick for September on TCM is CINDERELLA LIBERTY (1973), airing as part of TCM's tribute to the Motion Picture Television Fund (MPTF). Here's his column on the film: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/35501%7C0/Ben-Mankiewicz-Top-Pick-of-the-Month.html.

Mankiewicz calls this festival "one of the most meaningful Spotlight series we've ever done." Mankiewicz will be joined by no fewer than fifteen guest co-hosts -- each of whom is either a resident, volunteer or supporter of the MPTF. Each co host picked one of the film's in TCM's lineup, usually one they worked on in some capacity.

Mankiewicz will be introducing CINDERELLA LIBERTY with director Mark Rydell.

One of my favorite films on the TCM Spotlight for September is Victor/Victoria (1982). Julie Andrews is terrific in the film and Blake Edwards did an amazing job in directing this comedy with brilliant timing/pace and bringing a social commentary in the forefront that was completely unexpected for the time.

I also have to point out that I watched The Way We Were (1973) on dvd for the first time, I thought it was a terrific film to watch with two of my favorite stars in the picture Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford with a winning combo directed by Sydney Pollack and written by Arthur Laurents for his beautiful screenplay and songs by composer Marvin Hamlisch.