TopBilled

Jennifer Jones romance dramas

37 posts in this topic

"Tender Is The Night" - Henry King - 1962

tender-is-the-night-movie-poster-1962-10

Jennifer Jones stars as a very wealthy woman who is the victim of incest and somehow survives that incest and then marries her psychiatrist, Jason Robards, Jr. and then smothers him with a life of privilege and, in the process, almost destroys him - 

luckily, he is able to walk out on her and, so, saves himself -

Jennifer Jones looks gorgeous in this film and is dressed by Pierre Balmain -

but buying her as an incest victim and "a destroyer" is a tough sell -

Jason Robards, Jr. is far more convincing as a man who allows himself to be bought -

the film is based on the novel of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald -

but you are generally well ahead of the plot developments -

you just know that it will be one setback after another -

TCM presented the film in a full screen format -

it was shot in color and Cinemascope -

so a lot of the film on the right and left sides is gone -

but it does look like a very lavish production -

still, it does not play out as "a winner" -

Jennifer Jones is much too old for the leading role -

if only her husband had stopped putting her into movies -

he sold her and the project to 20th Century Fox.

• Like 2

Interesting comments, Ray. TENDER IS THE NIGHT was the last film Selznick produced. He died a year later. Jones would significantly cut back on her acting. 

The film was also one of Joan Fontaine's last (she only made one more). Director Henry King retired after this production.

The widescreen CinemaScope version of TENDER IS THE NIGHT used to air on the Fox Movie Channel.

• Like 2

Interesting comments, Ray. TENDER IS THE NIGHT was the last film Selznick produced. He died a year later. Jones would significantly cut back on her acting. 

The film was also one of Joan Fontaine's last (she only made one more). Director Henry King retired after this production.

The widescreen CinemaScope version of TENDER IS THE NIGHT used to air on the Fox Movie Channel.

I didn't realize TITN was the second to last film Fontaine appeared in.    She looked very attractive in the film and she was only 49 when her last film,  The Witches,  was released 4 years later.       I wonder if the only offers she had were the 'hag' type films actresses like Crawford took on.      Her sister Olivia was featured in 5 films in the 70s and of course in the 60s Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte (but unlike Davis,  she had a very stylish part playing a not-so-nice relative). 

• Like 1

I didn't realize TITN was the second to last film Fontaine appeared in.    She looked very attractive in the film and she was only 49 when her last film,  The Witches,  was released 4 years later.       I wonder if the only offers she had were the 'hag' type films actresses like Crawford took on.      Her sister Olivia was featured in 5 films in the 70s and of course in the 60s Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte (but unlike Davis,  she had a very stylish part playing a not-so-nice relative). 

In the 40s she was under contract to Selznick. So she probably did this film as a favor to him playing support to his wife. 

She did some television roles after her movie career ended.

• Like 2

Jennifer Jones stars as a very wealthy woman who is the victim of incest and somehow survives that incest and then marries her psychiatrist, Jason Robards, Jr. and then smothers him with a life of privilege and, in the process, almost destroys him - 

Jason Robards, Jr. is far more convincing as a man who allows himself to be bought -

A case could be made that Tender is the Night is Fitzgerald's best book.  I wouldn't mind seeing another filmed version.  The subjects it covers are very interesting, and I could see it drawing interest from A-Listers. 

• Like 1

She looked good in The Witches as well (her only foray into the horror genre)...

• Like 1

Yes, I was ticked to discover it was in full screen. I deleted it and didnt watch it. Too bad as I hadnt seen the film for awhile. Not a great film, but good acting and production values........

• Like 1

Yes, I was ticked to discover it was in full screen. I deleted it and didnt watch it. Too bad as I hadnt seen the film for awhile. Not a great film, but good acting and production values........

Yes, it was strange watching it, because, in color and Cinemascope, it must've been quite a beauty.

• Like 1

It probably pops up on the Fox channel, I'll have to check their schedules. Someone asleep at the wheel again at TCM!

• Like 1

It probably pops up on the Fox channel, I'll have to check their schedules. Someone asleep at the wheel again at TCM!

It does air on the Fox channel, but I can't remember if they air it in full screen or widescreen. 

• Like 1

Seriously, though, the Cinemascope screen is all wrong for this rather intimate drama.

But, I understand that the return of Jennifer Jones to the screen demanded a lot of fanfare.

5024356_orig.jpg

• Like 1

Well, all Fox films were shot in Cinemascope during this period, epics or not. Eventually even Fox succumbed to Panavision. The last Fox film released in Cinemascope was Caprice (in I think 66 or 67).

• Like 1