Sign in to follow this  
martin3

Your favorite stars- Kay Francis

15 posts in this topic

Will somebody please tell me I am wrong, requesting Kay Francis as star of the month. She was a sultry, exotic, ice-cold beauty, who was to ladies fashion, what Carey Grant was to mens. Garbo couldn't dress, Dietrich looked like a man and I'm tired of the Icon uglies Davis, Stanwyck, and Crawford. Francis was the highest paid person in Hollywood 37-38 because she was a beautiful fashion icon. Am i wrong? somebody please put me out of my misery.

Hi,

Sorry Martin, I can't put you out of your misery....... I completely agree with you!!

There should be a "Kay Francis" month. Although I don't know much about her and haven't really seen many of her films, I think she was one great movie actress and a STAR.....

And, that's when there were stars!!

I do know that she left millions of dollars when she died to train seeing-eye dogs for those who need them. Great cause and a benefitial one..

Let's hear it for Kay - - -

Larry

I'll admit Francis was sultry and exotic. There was a shot of her in the movie star photo thread with her hair slicked back like some gigolo. And she had great style. But referring to Stanwyck, Crawford and Davis as "icon uglies" is quiet ingracious. They were hardly ugly and you don't have to put others down to laud Kay Francis on a pedestal.

It would be great to see Kay Francis as Star of the Month. She did some great pre-code films in the 30's . It would be great to see a documentery done on her to.

I'm so happy to have found this thread. Kay Francis is my favorite star of all time and I think it's a shame that most people have never heard of her. I know this is because of her dispute with the studio (Warner Bros.) and their treatment of her...she was the star of the studio until they threw her over for Bette Davis because she wouldn't take less money on her contract. Anyway, it's refreshing to find others who appreciate her as I do. Yes, please, TCM, make her the Star of the Month. TCM is the only reason she's remembered at all these days and this is where I "found" her. She made approximately 68 films; there are plenty to choose from! And she played opposite some of the biggest stars of her time: William Powell (several times), George Brent, Fredric March, Herbert Marshall, and Cary Grant among others. She was beautiful, talented, and unique...to me she's the symbol of 30s glamour.

Kay Francis is my favorite female star. I discovered her about ten years ago while watching "Confession" on a PBS station. Ironically, I wanted to see it for Basil Rathbone and it made me a Kay fan. Everything she did was interesting. I wondered how in the world I had missed this incredible actress. Easy. Who shows her films? TCM and that's about it. How many are on video/DVD? Not many. I have no quarrel with the various collections out there celebrating female stars, but where is the Kay Francis Collection? I've called Warner Home Video several times about this and have been told that I would definitely get a call back but it never came.

Unfortunately I haven`t seen many Kay Francis movies. A movie that she gave an an excellant performance in was "In Name Only". She played the shrewish wife of Cary Grant who refuses to give him a divorce so he can marry widower Carole Lombard.

That's a Kay film I still haven't seen. I have the recording of her radio broadcast and am anxious to see the movie. My brother put it on DVD for me but I can't play the disc on either one of our machines. We still don't have TCM, but will be getting it soon. Right now, I keep bugging people to record things for me. I do have a fantastic lobby card from "In Name Only," though. How do you post photos here?

Try to watch more of Ms. Francis, if you get the chance. She does so much without overacting and listens better than any other actress I've ever seen.

Hi Verak, I do not have any movie star photos so I am not sure how to post them. Many people on these sites do post photos, but they have to click on your post to know you need help. Some posts attract more interest than others. I have started five posts, and two of the five have created many views. Some of my friends here have been kind enough to post photos for the "Let`s Discus Doris Day" and the "Lovely Loretta Young" posts that I initiated. Good luck with your Kay Francis site. Hope you will be receiving TCM soon.

Thanks everybody for your nice reply to my original Kay Francis thread. Special thanks for the photos. Let's hope tcm gives Kay Francis her due. After all she made 5400 a week during the depression. I appologize for calling some actresses icon uglies. Thanks again Garbomania for the photos. I'll be back.

Been reading about Kay Francis in an article and seems like she was a good-time gal. Lots of affairs, love spending money and had a dark beauty that wouldn't be duplicated until Linda Darnell, Yvonne DeCarlo and Ava came on the scene. She was luscious. I've got to see more of her films.

The thread title says it all. Kay is one of my favorite stars. I LOVE this woman!! Her voice is smoky and distinctive. Her dark eyes and jet black hair coupled with her flawless face make her a sultry eyefull. I've only discovered her just two years ago. Thanks TCM. Hopefully she'll be star of the month soon. I'm currently watching her in Four Jills In A Jeep, and she's just great as always. What a lady!!