Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Noir Gallery

1,850 posts in this topic

I love Cloudburst, a first rate British "noir".

Now that poster with Julie London has me intrigued about the movie...I don't think I've

seen that one.

Yes, those look great!

I was traipsing thru some CD bins and, for years now, I've hated those. Puny little artworks. I LOVED going to record stores, standing in front of bins of albums, flipping thru all those great big works of cover-art.

And movie posters are just about a thing of the past - at least as far as pedestrians go. MegaPlexes are stuck out in the middle of a parking lot - no one walks by those 'theaters' to see future-attraction posters unless they're already paying to see another film.

Removing Big Art from our eyes isn't just an issue of squinting older eyes - it's a fact that they've lost the attracting ability of Big Art. Big splashy threatening titles, blaring out warnings - "No one will be admitted while MissG kills off half the male population..." Or CM's splayed out in some NYC boulevard in her teeny weeny itsy bitsy, and giant radioactive insects are taking over the city - "Will Grimes EVER survive THIS attack?!! Can he save CM? And why would he bother?!!"

I mean, ya just about never see that sort of thing anymore. We get web-pages with trailers - yawn. 2-inch high videos. Yawn.

*Joan Bennett*

joanbennett14.jpg

*Woman in the Window*

WomanInTheWindow.jpg

*Secret Beyond the Door*

secretbeyondthedoor.jpg

*Woman in the Window*

joanb-scarletstreet4.jpg

joanb-scarletstreet3.jpg

*Scarlet Street*

joanb-scarletstreet2.jpg

*Scarlet Street*

joanb-scarletstreet.jpg

*Man Hunt*

JoanB-ManHunt.jpg

joanbennett15.jpg

joanbennett16.jpg

joanbennett11.jpg

joanbennett10.jpg

joanbennett9.jpg

joanbennett7.jpg

joanbennett5.jpg

joanbennett2.jpg

Oh, my goodness. Wow! Wow! Wow! Those are gorgeous pics of Joanie B! Thank you very much for posting all of those. They are wonderful.

Glad you enjoyed them. I found a stash of *Secret Beyond the Door* publicity material, too:

SecretBeyondtheDoor-poster4.jpg?t=128657

SecretBeyondtheDoor-poster3.jpg?t=128657

SecretBeyondtheDoor-poster2.jpg?t=128657

Scarves galore!! I just remembered, wasn't a scarf the weapon

of choice in Lang's House by the River?

SecretBeyondtheDoor-poster.jpg?t=1286574

Here are some interestingly updated looking lobby cards. The

color makes the movie seem all the more Hitchcockian, and call me

crazy but the silhouette on the left looks like Hitch himself to me! :D

SecretBeyondtheDoor-LC4.jpg?t=1286574146

"Now this little item I picked up at a garage sale in a 'two murders

for the price of one' deal..."

SecretBeyondtheDoor-LC.jpg?t=1286574430

I absolutely love those lobby cards for Secret Beyond the Door! Sensational! It's great to see you posting some film noir photos again, Miss Gun for Hire.

Scarves galore!! I just remembered, wasn't a scarf the weapon of choice in Lang's House by the River?

Yes, I believe you're right. Do you like my scarf? :P

MissG, when I saw all of those SECRET BEYOND graphics, I was so happy! So many to choose from! Of course, the very bottom one was my 'best choice' ultimately because it had enough contrast AND some actor-definition once the "coloration" was done. I really wanted to use the pix of Redgrave standing in front of her with the red scarf stretched between his open arms - quite threatening. Alas, the contrasts of the colors didn't 'show' the red scarf in the end. Drat.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I absolutely love those lobby cards for Secret Beyond the Door! Sensational! It's great to see you posting some film noir photos again, Miss Gun for Hire.

>

Glad to oblige.

> Scarves galore!! I just remembered, wasn't a scarf the weapon of choice in Lang's House by the River?

>

> Yes, I believe you're right. Do you like my scarf? :P

Very dashing. It matches your hat, Layne.

Ollie, could you make the scarf white or some other light color? It looked to be white or silvery in the movie, from what I could tell.

Very dashing. It matches your hat, Layne.

Pure white!

I like how the bottom poster has Redgrave using the letter "S" to strangle you.

MissG, you have - unfortunately - seen my pinnacle of artistic accomplishment. I have trouble drag-and-dropping, much less any PhotoShop skills at all. Heck, I still get sneered at for chomping on crayons, deciding which one to use. Wifey's cut me back to the 12-color set because I "can't be trusted with the 72-color set" like our 4-year is.

Well, fine... when she's at Ballet, I can always sneak in and use (abuse) the Sky Blue. Although she's starting to get suspicious herself. Darn. "This point is a lot sharper than it was when I used it, Daddy. Why?" Oh puh-leeze... can't Dad get away with ANYTHING?!!

Good grief... just when I've got the dog trained to grab my wife's wet towel and run with it down the hall...

Just saw your lobby cards for "SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR." Great stuff, Miss G. I love their garish color. The card below the black and white is interesting. All the cast is looking at the murder room, and the one guy is looking at Joanie.

Bennett is so beautiful in those shots. She actually reminds me more of Yvonne DeCarlo than Hedy Lamarr. But yes, Joan Bennett is beautiful in her own right.

The many sides to *Ella Raines*

*With Edmund O'Brien in The Web*

raines-obrien_TheWeb.jpg

ella-raines-46-fashion_opt.jpg

ellarainesmalustudio_o-1-1.jpg

ella-raines-christmas_opt.jpg

*Corvette K225 with Robert Rossen*

EllaRainesRobertRossen-CorvetteK225set.j

*Brute Force* (Ella, Ann Blyth, Mark Hellinger, Yvonne De Carlo, Anita Colby)

BruteForce-raines-blyth-hellinger-de-car

tallinthesaddle.jpgJohn_Wayne_and_Ella_Raines_in_Tall_in_thellaonhorseback.jpg

ellatwoguns.jpg

EllaRaineshorse2.jpg

EllaRaines-1.jpg

*Ella with her husband*

ralph-crane-major-kenneth-trout-having-h

ellahubby.jpg

ellainthepool.jpg

ellagoat.jpg

ellafishing.jpg

She's here, if you can find her. And how many others can you identify?

charles-coburn-s-birthday.jpg

Edited by: MissGoddess on Feb 1, 2011 11:06 PM

Ella looks adorable and lovely in so many of those shots. That was a wonderful display, Miss Gun for Hire. And speaking of that, it's my belief Ella was being patterned after Veronica Lake. She has a Veronica look in a few of those photos, especially the top one from The Web and the "double pistols" shot.

She was a bit Lake-like. They played similar characters. Veronica came across as being a softer person, not as determined as Ella, at least to me. But, I like them both.

RopeofSand-BurtCorinne.jpg

Via Olive Films, coming to DVD next week is a noir I have not seen in forever, but remember liking it so much at the time, *ROPE OF SAND* (1949), starring Burt Lancaster and Corinne Calvet and directed by a favorite of mine, William Dieterle, who is more known for romantic atmospherics than gritty noir. I can't wait to revisit this film.

More information on the DVD release can be found here:

http://www.classicflix.com/rope-sand-p-10766.html

The many sides of Ella... sheesh. She's one of those awesomely devastating beauties - Gene Tierney, Hedy Lamarr, Ella... boy, I wonder if every boy in America wasn't hoping HIS Christmas tree would have a Santa's helper under it that looked like her!

She was a beauty.You're right about the Christmas tree. I remember the first time I saw her was in the late 1940's in "Tall in the Saddle". I developed a serious crush on her. A shame she never did another film with John Wayne. I though they had good sexual chemistry between them.