fredmcain

Information Please

6 posts in this topic

I hope someone can help me identify an old film presumably from the time period late 1940s to early '60s. I cannot remember the names of any of the actors.

The Plot: A police detective is out of town watching a boxing match on TV in his motel room (or somewhere). He spots a most wanted criminal sitting in the front row at the boxing ring. He picks up the phone to notify headquarters but is informed by the operator that the lines are down from a major winter snow storm. (That was before cell phones, folks).

What follows is a race against time to get the lines repaired before the fight lets out and the bad guy gets away. There were several shots of linemen frantically trying to repair broken telephone wires. In the end, the final splice in made just as the fight lets out, the cop calls HQ, and the bad guy gets busted as he's leaving the arena.

Can anyone out there ever recall seeing a picture like that?

​In the interest of providing an illustration, I will attempt to attach a photo of the type of telephone wires that were seen in the movie.

​regards,

Fred M. Cainpost-71627-0-70660900-1497296155_thumb.jpg

post-71627-0-70660900-1497296155_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the boards, Fred.

I've seen this, but I think it was an episode from a tv series. Maybe someone else will weigh in with the title.

Welcome to the boards, Fred.

I've seen this, but I think it was an episode from a tv series. Maybe someone else will weigh in with the title.

That is entirely possible.  Can you remember the name of the actor in it?  Even that might possibly help me.

Regards,

Fred M.Cain

I keep thinking it might have been an episode of The Detectives, with Robert Taylor. But I just can't remember.  Now I am really curious, because I have not thought about this in decades.

Well, it could be The Detectives.  I tried "Googling" for that and found that there were 97 episodes!

Not sure where to even begin.  I scrolled through a list of titles but saw no mention of a fight and a snowstorm.

This is a good lead, however.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain

Might be a episode of a TV anthology drama series like Playhouse 90 or General  Electric Theater to name a couple. There were quite a few back then.