Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Focus on Fritz Lang

481 posts in this topic

JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED: A DOUBLE DOSE OF GLO-LO...WITH A DASH OF BENNETT FOR GOOD MEASURE

There?s a Fritz Lang retrospective at NYC?s Film Forum. And even with the very packed house of film enthusiasts, it?s just what the doctor ordered for my winter doldrums as I brave the wea-

ther here. Last weekend my two days of movie-going featured watching star turns by glorious Gloria Grahame and languid Joan Bennett. Between the two of them, they raised the collective temperature inside the Film Forum considerably. Icebergs wouldn?t stand a chance.

The first double-feature spotlighted our very own GLO-LO in all her kittenish glory in Fritzie?s "HUMAN DESIRE? and "THE BIG HEAT.? Poor Gloria...the girl can?t help it. It?s just the way she?s drawn. There?s no respite for her ( or us ) even when she?s wearing a long-sleeved turtle-

neck. As Vicki in "...DESIRE? and Debbie in "...HEAT? Gloria has made pacts with brutish devils and big-time operators.

In the hypnotic setting of the packed, darkened movie theatre, where you could hear a pin drop throughout the screening (just the way I like it), Gloria looms larger than life. Whew! She?s a heat-seeking missile. When Lee Marvin (as Vince) destroys her looks in the most dastardly way, it sort of elevates Gloria to iconic heights b?cuz now that one is not distracted by her looks and manner, you can concentrate on her performance which I?m sure you were concentrating on in the first place. (Yeah, right). :P

Almost all the women in ?THE BIG HEAT? were "sisters-under-the-mink" in more ways than one. They were burned, scalded, blown-up, limping and tossed away. They were expendable. Jeanette Nolan (excellent here) plays the Commissioner?s wife. She could hide behind respect-

ability. But her hands were not clean. And she, too, paid the piper when Gloria came a-calling.

In ?HUMAN DESIRE? Gloria is pimped out by her loutish husband to get his job back and then is hassled by her husband when she does what she needs to do to get his job back. (Robert Stack with Dorothy Malone in "Tarnished Angels"). Now I ask you, is that any way to treat your wife? A girl can't win! Gloria is a woman trapped by circumstances, not quite of her making. How does a girl get herself in these predicaments? Oh, I know.

So we have her trapped in a loveless marriage. And trapped by hubby?s murderous actions. Her fate is sealed with her first kiss to Glenn Ford in ?...DESIRE? and she couldn?t get out of its way. Gloria could take it and dish it out (with a pistol or a hot pot o? coffee). But geez she sure did "take it" a lot. Men want to own her and that never works...for her. She was a moth who flew too close to the flame.

The next day I went back for more. This time Lang sent JOAN BENNETT to put us through our paces in ?WOMAN IN THE WINDOW? and ?SCARLET STREET.?

Now I actually did see the movie before. But there's something about seeing it on the big screen. I didn't quite remember a lot of things as the story unfolded. (I remember one thing...

LOVING Margaret Lindsay as Kitty's wise friend. Her appearance was all too brief). There may or may not be a ramble about ?SCARLET STREET? so I won?t jump out there. But let me just say Lang used Bennett to good effect as Kitty. She was beautiful. She was a masochist. And she was a sadist. She?s got Edward G. Robinson by the...heart and us by the throat. Boys, do your-

self a favor. If you see Kitty coming your way run...don?t walk to the safety of the nearest girl-next-door.

Ciao, Lively Gal -- JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED: A DOUBLE DOSE OF GLO-LO...WITH A DASH OF BENNETT FOR GOOD MEASURE

I'm envious as envious can be! I'm still amazed by how generous New York has been to Fritz Lang. They've had, I believe, three Lang film festivals in the past four years.

The first double-feature spotlighted our very own GLO-LO in all her kittenish glory in Fritzie?s "HUMAN DESIRE? and "THE BIG HEAT.? Poor Gloria...the girl can?t help it. It?s just the way she?s drawn. There?s no respite for her ( or us ) even when she?s wearing a long-sleeved turtle-neck. As Vicki in "...DESIRE? and Debbie in "...HEAT? Gloria has made pacts with brutish devils and big-time operators.

Oooooh, I like that. I really like that. Gloria seemed to always play characters that were her own doing and undoing. She just cannot resist.

In the hypnotic setting of the packed, darkened movie theatre, where you could hear a pin drop throughout the screening (just the way I like it), Gloria looms larger than life. Whew! She?s a heat-seeking missile.

Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed to hear the audience was that into the film. That's wonderful.

When Lee Marvin (as Vince) destroys her looks in the most dastardly way, it sort of elevates Gloria to iconic heights b?cuz now that one is not distracted by her looks and manner, you can concentrate on her performance which I?m sure you were concentrating on in the first place. (Yeah, right). :P

:D You've got it. I'd say that scene is the most defining in Gloria's career. By the way, there's a thread for you: "Most Defining Scene or Image in a Performer's Career." Or even just your personal favorite scene or image.

Almost all the women in ?THE BIG HEAT? were "sisters-under-the-mink" in more ways than one. They were burned, scalded, blown-up, limping and tossed away. They were expendable. Jeanette Nolan (excellent here) plays the Commissioner?s wife. She could hide behind respect-ability. But her hands were not clean. And she, too, paid the piper when Gloria came a-calling.

A very interesting point. The women definitely play a prominent role in The Big Heat. Most of them take major chances.

In ?HUMAN DESIRE? Gloria is pimped out by her loutish husband to get his job back and then is hassled by her husband when she does what she needs to do to get his job back. (Robert Stack with Dorothy Malone in "Tarnished Angels"). Now I ask you, is that any way to treat your wife? A girl can't win! Gloria is a woman trapped by circumstances, not quite of her making. How does a girl get herself in these predicaments? Oh, I know.

:D She settled! Low self-esteem and/or limited choices. It's harder to believe with a girl like Gloria, of course. But it happens.

So we have her trapped in a loveless marriage. And trapped by hubby?s murderous actions. Her fate is sealed with her first kiss to Glenn Ford in ?...DESIRE? and she couldn?t get out of its way. Gloria could take it and dish it out (with a pistol or a hot pot o? coffee). But geez she sure did "take it" a lot. Men want to own her and that never works...for her. She was a moth who flew too close to the flame.

The end of Human Desire is a little similar to that of Out of the Past. Vicki is playing "Jeff Bailey." Glenn Ford is playing "Ann Miller." Once again, Gloria Grahame is sacrificial.

The next day I went back for more. This time Lang sent JOAN BENNETT to put us through our paces in ?WOMAN IN THE WINDOW? and ?SCARLET STREET.?

That's the most perfect double-feature for me. One is Lang's dream and other is his nightmare.

Now I actually did see the movie before. But there's something about seeing it on the big screen.

Must you twist the knife?! Talk about cruel! :D

I didn't quite remember a lot of things as the story unfolded. (I remember one thing...

LOVING Margaret Lindsay as Kitty's wise friend. Her appearance was all too brief).

You know, I never heard of Margaret Lindsay until Scarlet Street. She's excellent. She's the "honest" girl with tired dogs. Then there's "Lazy Legs."

There may or may not be a ramble about ?SCARLET STREET? so I won?t jump out there. But let me just say Lang used Bennett to good effect as Kitty. She was beautiful. She was a masochist. And she was a sadist. She?s got Edward G. Robinson by the...heart and us by the throat. Boys, do your-self a favor. If you see Kitty coming your way run...don?t walk to the safety of the nearest girl-next-door.

But Kitty is so darn irresistible! I've said this a couple times on this board, but one of the reasons Scarlet Street is my favorite classic film of all is that I find it to be hilarious. I laugh at Kitty. I think she's a riot. How she carries on just kills me. I don't know if there is a more fun character in film noir than Kitty.

Hey Cinie!

The first double-feature spotlighted our very own GLO-LO in all her kittenish glory in Fritzie?s "HUMAN DESIRE? and "THE BIG HEAT.? Poor Gloria...the girl can?t help it. It?s just the way she?s drawn. There?s no respite for her ( or us ) even when she?s wearing a long-sleeved turtle-

neck. As Vicki in "...DESIRE? and Debbie in "...HEAT? Gloria has made pacts with brutish devils and big-time operators.

Frankly I agree with you! Heehee! The girl always looked so mysterious with a spark of evil in her eye. Although I must say that her character in Human Desire isn't as complex as "Debbie" in Heat, for me.

Who let the back door open?! And you've got lots of evil in your eyes!

What's that suppose to mean?! That's a fine how do you do! You're suppose to be sweet and say, "Oh hello there, lovely to see you today!" Heehee!

I never have evil in my eyes unlike Glo! Why do you think she gets away with everything she does? I mean really? Aldo Annie was just in disguise as a sweet girl and then she turns into Debbie!

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Feb 4, 2011 12:01 AM

What's that suppose to mean?! That's a fine how do you do! You're suppose to be sweet and say, "Oh hello there, lovely to see you today!" Heehee!

No!

I never have evil in my eyes unlike Glo!

Ha!

Why do you think she gets away with everything she does? I mean really? Aldo Annie was just in disguise as a sweet girl and then she turns into Debbie!

But Debby turns into a sweet girl! She saves the day!

No!

Scaredy Cat!

Ha!

Greer would act as a lady in a situation such as this, so i'll let that one slide...

But Debby turns into a sweet girl! She saves the day!

Semi-sorta. I always feel there is more to her character than meets he eye and it continually drives me up the wall when I watch that movie and I can't figure out what's missing. There are a few characters like that for me in Lang films.

Scaredy Cat!

What do you expect?!

Greer would act as a lady in a situation such as this, so i'll let that one slide...

Yes, but she's a lady. :P

Semi-sorta. I always feel there is more to her character than meets he eye and it continually drives me up the wall when I watch that movie and I can't figure out what's missing. There are a few characters like that for me in Lang films.

What?! Debby thinks money, material items, and booze is what it's all about. You know, like Miss G. Then she meets Dave. Then she starts to want something else.

you see those eyes? would you want to be alone in a room with her?

Is that a trick question?

Scaredy Cat!

What do you expect?!

hey, im not a scary person!

Yes, but she's a lady.

are you saying i'm not a lady?!

What?! Debby thinks money, material items, and booze is what it's all about. You know, like Miss G. Then she meets Dave. Then she starts to want something else.

I beg your pardon!! Greer was never into any of that! In a sense he did bring out a good side of her, you are right, but she was still a big flirt and always would be.

you see those eyes? would you want to be alone in a room with her?

Is that a trick question?

oy vey, you would be in a room with her forever and not even know it if she hypnotized you into doing something. Heehee!

Sweet Baby T...it's past your bedtime - Frankly I agree with you! Heehee! The girl always looked so mysterious with a spark of evil in her eye. Although I must say that her character in Human Desire isn't as complex as "Debbie" in Heat, for me.

I don't see evil. What I see is a mischievous promise for all those brave lucky men. My preference is GLO-LO as Debbie rather than as Vicki. I found "THE BIG HEAT" much more interesting. Watching Broderick Crawford bellow is not quite my idea of a good time...though I do like him in "ALL THE KING'S MEN." That picture you posted below of Gloria is absolutely stunnnnning!!!

Now, go to bed!!!

What?s cookin? good-looking - I'm envious as envious can be! I'm still amazed by how generous New York has been to Fritz Lang. They've had, I believe, three Lang film festivals in the past four years.

What can I say? We New Yorkers are a generous people. And we know a good thing when we see it. Now will somebody take all this snow away!!!

Oooooh, I like that. I really like that. Gloria seemed to always play characters that were her own doing and undoing. She just cannot resist.

I think she is really like a moth to a flame. Or could she be needy? Or unable to stand up on her own two feet? I dunno. But it?s a vicarious thrill I love to watch.

Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed to hear the audience was that into the film. That's wonderful.

Ohhh I had an altercation with some weirdo who wanted to put his coat & junk on top of my things that was in the empty seat next to me. But the audience was quite respectful to the film. And that made it a great experience.

:DYou've got it. I'd say that scene is the most defining in Gloria's career. By the way, there's a thread for you: "Most Defining Scene or Image in a Performer's Career." Or even just your personal favorite scene or image.

Capital idea, my good Grimes. I?ll work on that.

A very interesting point. The women definitely play a prominent role in The Big Heat. Most of them take major chances.

I wonder what will happen to Glenn Ford?s little daughter in "THE BIG HEAT"?...thinking her Mom?s on a trip and hearing the ?poor little kittens who lost their mittens? story for the 1,000th time. Yikes! Did you notice the Glenn?s brother-in-law Army buddies scene? The little girl was in the room when one of the men?s guns was out on the table. I say again...?YIKES!!?

The end of "Human Desire" is a little similar to that of "Out of the Past." Vicki is playing "Jeff Bailey." Glenn Ford is playing "Ann Miller." Once again, Gloria Grahame is sacrificial.

MINI-SPOILERS - Hmmmmmm...interesting. I gotta tell ya, man...to have Glenn look at those dance tickets while Gloria lies in a heap like a sack of Idaho potatoes, or to see Eddie G. walk down that scarlet street practically babbling to himself or taking that poison...there always seems (well...not always - I?m not a Langian aficionado) to be some kind of point/counter-point. Is that a German thing or what??

That's the most perfect double-feature for me. One is Lang's dream and other is his nightmare.

Man, ain?t THAT the truth!! I don?t remember feeling soooo danged hopeless. Whew!! Now I actually did see the movie before. But there's something about seeing it on the big screen.

Must you twist the knife?! Talk about cruel! :D

Cruel? Ohhhhhh, so you'll take it from a beautiful brunette like Joanie. Is Pennsylvania so far from NYC. Come on down. The weather... is...uhmmmm...fine.

You know, I never heard of Margaret Lindsay until Scarlet Street. She's excellent. She's the "honest" girl with tired dogs. Then there's "Lazy Legs."

She was, wasn?t she. She was in many 30's films. Worked with Bette Davis & Paul Muni.

But Kitty is so darn irresistible! I've said this a couple times on this board, but one of the reasons ?Scarlet Street? is my favorite classic film of all is that I find it to be hilarious. I laugh at Kitty. I think she's a riot. How she carries on just kills me. I don't know if there is a more fun character in film noir than Kitty.

Irresistible?? WoW! I love my lethal ladies. I love them heartless...but that?s when they pick on somebody their own size...a Mitchum, Ryan, Kirk, Burt, MacGraw, Quinn, O?Brien, Dana, Mature. But Eddie G. wore an apron for gosh sakes. Have a heart, Grimesy. Kitty doesn?t.

Hola, CinemAva -- What?s cookin? good-looking

You've been over-served! Or is it under-served? :D

What can I say? We New Yorkers are a generous people. And we know a good thing when we see it. Now will somebody take all this snow away!!!

Don't you send that snow here!

I think she is really like a moth to a flame. Or could she be needy? Or unable to stand up on her own two feet? I dunno. But it?s a vicarious thrill I love to watch.

I do find Gloria to be extremely needy in most of her roles and greedy in some others. What's great about Gloria is that she changes the tone with her characters. Her Ginny (Crossfire) is a different kind of needy than her Debby Marsh (The Big Heat).

I wonder what will happen to Glenn Ford?s little daughter in "THE BIG HEAT"?...thinking her Mom?s on a trip and hearing the ?poor little kittens who lost their mittens? story for the 1,000th time. Yikes!

That's a very interesting thought. A haunting one.

Did you notice the Glenn?s brother-in-law Army buddies scene? The little girl was in the room when one of the men?s guns was out on the table. I say again...?YIKES!!?

Those were the days when kids could be kids! :D

MINI-SPOILERS - Hmmmmmm...interesting. I gotta tell ya, man...to have Glenn look at those dance tickets while Gloria lies in a heap like a sack of Idaho potatoes, or to see Eddie G. walk down that scarlet street practically babbling to himself or taking that poison...there always seems (well...not always - I?m not a Langian aficionado) to be some kind of point/counter-point. Is that a German thing or what??

I'm not sure. I will say that German directors often see lots and lots of pain, hurt, and misery in the world. If there's a happy ending, there's a price that's paid for it. It's definitely not light and fluffy and everything is gonna be all right for all involved. No.

It's as if there are two stories being told by Lang. And usually... there are. It's not just about our "hero," it's also about someone or something else.

I watched Human Desire on DVD a few months ago and I ended up liking it more in my second viewing than my first. Why? Vicki (Gloria Grahame). Her story and end are rather similar to "Debby Marsh's," even "Jeff Bailey's." Lang actually have Gloria Grahame two films. That's impressive.

Is Pennsylvania so far from NYC. Come on down. The weather... is...uhmmmm...fine.

It is for me!

Irresistible?? WoW! I love my lethal ladies. I love them heartless...but that?s when they pick on somebody their own size...a Mitchum, Ryan, Kirk, Burt, MacGraw, Quinn, O?Brien, Dana, Mature. But Eddie G. wore an apron for gosh sakes. Have a heart, Grimesy. Kitty doesn?t.

Kitty is loyal to her "Prince." She'll do what he asks of her. But she's definitely a cruel one. And so darn entertaining!

scarlet1.jpg

scarlet2.jpg

Hola, CinemAva -- What?s cookin? good-looking?

You've been over-served! Or is it under-served?

I call 'em as I --sees-- them...imagine them.

Don't you send that snow here!

I can't. It's all chunks of icebergs.

I do find Gloria to be extremely needy in most of her roles and greedy in some others. What's great about Gloria is that she changes the tone with her characters. Her Ginny (Crossfire) is a different kind of needy than her Debby Marsh (The Big Heat).

Yes...so true. How many shadings of neediness can GLO-LO portray. I'll never forget Ginny's dance.

Did you notice the Glenn?s brother-in-law Army buddies scene? The little girl was in the room when one of the men?s guns was out on the table. I say again...?YIKES!!?

Those were the days when kids could be kids!

Uhhhmmm...I'm thinking more like tiddlywinks...marbles.

...I will say that German directors often see lots and lots of pain, hurt, and misery in the world. If there's a happy ending, there's a price that's paid for it. It's definitely not light and fluffy and everything is gonna be all right for all involved. No.

Okay. I'll have to get myself together before I see the next Lang double feature. It won't be a walk in the park. I see Sylvia Sidney in my future.

I watched Human Desire on DVD a few months ago and I ended up liking it more in my second viewing than my first. Why? Vicki (Gloria Grahame). Her story and end are rather similar to "Debby Marsh's," even "Jeff Bailey's." Lang actually have Gloria Grahame two films. That's impressive.

In "Human Desire" it's really crystallized this story of Vicki and how she tries to get out of the trap of a bad marriage. This is my second time seeing it. Maybe I'll do a third and really focus on Gloria 'cuz Broderick was kind of freaking me out. One thing I noticed is that the Vet was welcomed home very nicely by everyone. Even his curmudgeon boss. I thought that was a nice message. Who

do you think Lang used best, GLO-LO or Joanie? Or is that an apples and oranges question?

Kitty is loyal to her "Prince." She'll do what he asks of her. But she's definitely a cruel one. And so darn entertaining!

So THAT'S what it was...loyalty; a quality that is lost today.

GO STEELERS!!!!

I call 'em as I sees them...imagine them.

You have one strong imagination.

I can't. It's all chunks of icebergs.

It's the same here.

Yes...so true. How many shadings of neediness can GLO-LO portray. I'll never forget Ginny's dance.

It's one of the best dances you'll see in film. How about some spaghetti?

Okay. I'll have to get myself together before I see the next Lang double feature. It won't be a walk in the park. I see Sylvia Sidney in my future.

The Lang/Sidney pic that remains a major curiosity of mine is You and Me. If you see that one, let me know what you think. The better-known Lang/Sidney flicks are quite interesting. I prefer You Only Live Once to Fury.

In "Human Desire" it's really crystallized this story of Vicki and how she tries to get out of the trap of a bad marriage. This is my second time seeing it. Maybe I'll do a third and really focus on Gloria 'cuz Broderick was kind of freaking me out.

Poor Broderick! He did play a great "hairy ape," that's for sure. But Gloria is who stood out to me in my second viewing.

One thing I noticed is that the Vet was welcomed home very nicely by everyone. Even his curmudgeon boss. I thought that was a nice message.

Nice catch! I didn't even notice that.

Who do you think Lang used best, GLO-LO or Joanie? Or is that an apples and oranges question?

It's close, but I'd say Joanie. I believe Lang helped to provide Joan Bennett with a "second" life. A much more important one as an actress, too. I've called "Kitty" the "Scarlett O'Hara of film noir" and I think Joanie played Vivien Leigh's "Myra Lester" (Waterloo Bridge) in Man Hunt.

Having said that, Gloria was given the more heroic characters. She got to play tainted heroines. That's pretty darn good for an actress. And of the "Gloria" films that I've seen, only In a Lonely Place features a stronger, more developed character than Lang's two.

What's amazing is that Lang generally lacks interesting female characters in his films. Joan and Gloria are two that were given some strong roles. Is it any wonder why they are two of my very favorites?

So true. So very true.

I call 'em as I sees them...imagine them.

You have one strong imagination.

Yeah...that's how I was able to put down Rudolph Valentino's voice on "My Favorite Voices" list.

It's one of the best dances you'll see in film. How about some spaghetti?

I can't. My decrepit old shell-shocked vet of a husband is home. Raincheck?

The Lang/Sidney pic that remains a major curiosity of mine is You and Me. If you see that one, let me know what you think. The better-known Lang/Sidney flicks are quite interesting. I prefer You Only Live Once to Fury.

I don't have the schedule in front of me...but it is "You and Me" that I want to see. I'll let'cha know. But I don't want to spoil it for you.

In "Human Desire" it's really crystallized this story of Vicki and how she tries to get out of the trap of a bad marriage. This is my second time seeing it. Maybe I'll do a third and really focus on Gloria 'cuz Broderick was kind of freaking me out.

Poor Broderick! He did play a great "hairy ape," that's for sure. But Gloria is who stood out to me in my second viewing.

I think I have to see it a third time. I'm not a big Glenn Ford fan (though I liked him in "The Big Heat" and "3:10 to Yuma") so I had to get passed him. Why my mind wandered away from Gloria is beyond me. I was just watching her instead of really looking at her. So here I'll have to go in there again.

One thing I noticed is that the Vet was welcomed home very nicely by everyone. Even his curmudgeon boss. I thought that was a nice message.

Nice catch! I didn't even notice that.

Gloria does that.

Who do you think Lang used best, GLO-LO or Joanie? Or is that an apples and oranges question?

It's close, but I'd say Joanie. I believe Lang helped to provide Joan Bennett with a "second" life. A much more important one as an actress, too. I've called "Kitty" the "Scarlett O'Hara of film noir" and I think Joanie played Vivien Leigh's "Myra Lester" (Waterloo Bridge) in Man Hunt.

"I've called "Kitty" the "Scarlett O'Hara of film noir." WHEW!! High praise, Grimesy. You do know you're referring to "GONE WITH THE WIND" don't you?? Uh-oh...

Having said that, Gloria was given the more heroic characters. She got to play tainted heroines. That's pretty darn good for an actress. And of the "Gloria" films that I've seen, only In a Lonely Place features a stronger, more developed character than Lang's two.

Well said, and I agree. You probably told us this before, but help an old lady out...could you tell me the Gloria Grahame films you have seen?

What's amazing is that Lang generally lacks interesting female characters in his films. Joan and Gloria are two that were given some strong roles. Is it any wonder why they are two of my very favorites?

Good. If more directors would give women a role with meat on them...that'd go a long way for them.

So true. So very true.

:-) Stand by your man.

Yeah...that's how I was able to put down Rudolph Valentino's voice on "My Favorite Voices" list.

I noticed that. :)

That's all I seem to get!

I don't have the schedule in front of me...but it is "You and Me" that I want to see. I'll let'cha know. But I don't want to spoil it for you.

I'd love to know the "vibe" of the film. It certainly sounds like a "Sidney" kind of film.

I'm not a big Glenn Ford fan (though I liked him in "The Big Heat" and "3:10 to Yuma") so I had to get passed him.

Oh, that's right, I forgot you weren't that keen on Glenn. I can see why; Glenn isn't the "warmest" of actors. So what are your reasons? Do you always see him as "Johnny Farrell"?

Why my mind wandered away from Gloria is beyond me. I was just watching her instead of really looking at her. So here I'll have to go in there again.

"Looking" versus "watching"... what an interesting delineation. That's excellent. I never thought about that. And I think most people do look at films versus watch them. I've turned into a "Peeping Tom."

Well said, and I agree. You probably told us this before, but help an old lady out...could you tell me the Gloria Grahame films you have seen?

I've got a ways to go with Gloria. I've seen just ten of her 39 films.

1. In a Lonely Place (1950) .... Laurel Gray

2. The Big Heat (1953) .... Debby Marsh

3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) .... Violet Bick

4. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) .... Helen

5. Human Desire (1954) .... Vicki Buckley

6. Macao (1952) .... Margie

7. The Glass Wall (1953) .... Maggie Summers

8. Crossfire (1947) .... Ginny Tremaine

9. Sudden Fear (1952) .... Irene Neves

10. The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)... Rosemary (I watched it just yesterday)

Stand by your man.

It works both ways. ;)

I noticed that.

Observant.

That's all I seem to get!

Cash in those rainchecks.

I'd love to know the "vibe" of the film. It certainly sounds like a "Sidney" kind of film.

Sidney's not one of my favorites, so I have to really go in with an open mind. A "Sidney" kind of film (to me) sounds like a Depression area saga. Does Sylvia ever smile? She has a very distinct look.

I'm not a big Glenn Ford fan (though I liked him in "The Big Heat" and "3:10 to Yuma") so I had to get passed him.

Oh, that's right, I forgot you weren't that keen on Glenn. I can see why; Glenn isn't the "warmest" of actors. So what are your reasons? Do you always see him as "Johnny Farrell"?

In general, I don't find Glenn Ford sexy, but he was an attractive man. The big heat of "GILDA" brought some sizzle to Glenn but then again any man standing next to Rita Hayworth gets his sizzle factor raised.

Why my mind wandered away from Gloria is beyond me. I was just --watching-- looking at her instead of really --looking-- watching her. So here I'll have to go in there again.

"Looking" versus "watching"... what an interesting delineation. That's excellent. I never thought about that. And I think most people do look at films versus watch them. I've turned into a "Peeping Tom."

I made a mistake in my explanation. It feels more right to say: "I was just looking at her instead of really watching her." Peeping Tom? Let's say "voyeurs." It sounds fancy schmancier.

I've got a ways to go with Gloria. I've seen just ten of her 39 films.

1. In a Lonely Place (1950) .... Laurel Gray

2. The Big Heat (1953) .... Debby Marsh

3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) .... Violet Bick

4. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) .... Helen

5. Human Desire (1954) .... Vicki Buckley

6. Macao (1952) .... Margie

7. The Glass Wall (1953) .... Maggie Summers

8. Crossfire (1947) .... Ginny Tremaine

9. Sudden Fear (1952) .... Irene Neves

10. The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)... Rosemary (I watched it just yesterday)

Good start Grimesy. I think you've seen the meat of her career. These are the Gloria films I've seen:

1. "Blonde Fever" (1944)

2. "It Happened in Brooklyn" (1947)

3. "Crossfire" (1947)

4. "Song of the Thin Man" (1947)

5. "Merton of the Movies" (1947)

6. "A Woman's Secret" (1949)

7. "Roughshod" (1949)

8. "In A Lonely Place" (1950)

9. "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1952)

10. "Macao" (1952)

11. "Sudden Fear" (1952)

12. "The Bad and the Beautiful" (1952)

13. "The Glass Wall" (1953)

14. "The Big Heat" (1953)

15. "Human Desire" (1954)

16. "The Cobweb" (1955)

17. "Not As A Stranger" (1955)

18. "Oklahoma" (1955)

19. "Odds Against Tomorrow" (1955)

20. "The Outer Limits" (1964) tv show

Stand by your man.

It works both ways. ;-)

So true. So very true!

Sorry to butt into this conversation but Rudolph Valentino's voice (I guess it has nothing to do with Lang though) :)

Hey Cinie!!

What do you mean, past my bedtime? I'm growing up now, silly! Slowly, but surely that is...Goodness me. Heehee!

I don't see evil. What I see is a mischievous promise for all those brave lucky men. My preference is GLO-LO as Debbie rather than as Vicki. I found "THE BIG HEAT" much more interesting. Watching Broderick Crawford bellow is not quite my idea of a good time...though I do like him in "ALL THE KING'S MEN." That picture you posted below of Gloria is absolutely stunnnnning!!!

Maybe "evil" isn't the best word to describe her characters, but there is so much mischievousness about her. She plays it quite well!

Why specifically do you like The Big Heat more than Human Desire, other than her character and the fact that you prefer Broderick Crawford in a more handsome roll? :P

Now, go to bed!!!

What's funny is that night, I actually did go to bed right when you posted this, and I didn't even get to read it. heehee!

So thanks to Netflix I watched Fury for the 1st time tonight and overall I enjoyed it. Although I do agree with Lang that it would have been a better film if Tracey's character had actually been guilty which is why +M+ is not just a good film but a brilliant film.

Anyways after watching it I checked the special features and saw there was a commentary track with Bogdanovich & Lang himself. What a treat! Needless to say I ended up watching the film twice in one night. I wish there was more of Lang on the commentary but what there was made me smile.

I think Bogdanovich for his part did a good commentary but I have mixed feelings about him sharing some of his personal feelings for Lang. Although I thought he was fair about Lang's career & the film.

As for all the things about Lang being difficult. It's not that I don't believe them in fact it almost makes me like him more. He seems to be such a colorful character. I would have so loved to have a chance to talk with him. I guess hearing his voice on a commentary is the next best thing.

Hello there, Miss G!

Just wanted to pop in and say how much I enjoyed watching Ministry of Fear tonight. I had never even HEARD of this film before and was just more or less "flipping" through the channels, and I sort of fell into the story as I started to watch.

It is a fun "twisty-turny" sort of tale and a pretty good "WHY-dunnit" ha. (because I KNEW that the "who" was the lousy Nazi's.. ha. I just could not quite figure out what they were up to. ha)

Oh..and PS: "mini-spoiler"... I pretty much suspected that brother from the VERY beginning. Wasn't HE a piece of work?? Oh my golly. Oh.. and I was not suprised at ALL to see old Dan Duryea show back up, either. I figured HE'd be back.. I just wasn't sure when. ha. But wowsa.. what an ending HE had.. (when he was finally gone) oh me.

But still... having said all that, there were some REALLY great moments of supense in this one. And some fun supporting characters. I really liked the visit to the medium's house (when Milland is on the run) and I LOVED the bit on the train w/ the old "blind" man. (and how that all played out)

Probably the only big criticism I have would be that to me the ending sort of wrapped up a bit too quickly. (oh.. and I wanted the sister to be working w/ the brother.. ha. I think she'd have been more interesting that way, but that might have made the movie TOO predictable) but still, all in all

I have to say I am glad to have caught this one. It was a nice suprise.

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 30, 2011 11:59 PM

Hi, Peacemaker!

>

> Just wanted to pop in and say how much I enjoyed watching Ministry of Fear tonight. I had never even HEARD of this film before and was just more or less "flipping" through the channels, and I sort of fell into the story as I started to watch.

>

I really wanted to watch this, as it has been some time (my usual refrain) and I don't remember much about it. But, alas, I missed most of it.

> It is a fun "twisty-turny" sort of tale and a pretty good "WHY-dunnit" ha. (because I KNEW that the "who" was the lousy Nazi's.. ha. I just could not quite figure out what they were up to. ha)

>

That's how I remember looking at it. It is rather twisty, you know where it's going and who is really who, but how it will play out is well done. This movie feels very "British" to me and not just the casting, but there is that air of Gothic spookiness about it which made me think any minute Sherlock Holmes would drift in and wrap up the proceedings, my dear Watson. :D

> Oh..and PS: "mini-spoiler"... I pretty much suspected that brother from the VERY beginning. Wasn't HE a piece of work?? Oh my golly. Oh.. and I was not suprised at ALL to see old Dan Duryea show back up, either. I figured HE'd be back.. I just wasn't sure when. ha. But wowsa.. what an ending HE had.. (when he was finally gone) oh me.

>

I'd forgotten he was in it! When I heard his voice I had to laugh. :D

> But still... having said all that, there were some REALLY great moments of supense in this one. And some fun supporting characters. I really liked the visit to the medium's house (when Milland is on the run) and I LOVED the bit on the train w/ the old "blind" man. (and how that all played out)

>

I did see part of that scene, which is one of my favorites.

> Probably the only big criticism I have would be that to me the ending sort of wrapped up a bit too quickly. (oh.. and I wanted the sister to be working w/ the brother.. ha. I think she'd have been more interesting that way, but that might have made the movie TOO predictable) but still, all in all

> I have to say I am glad to have caught this one. It was a nice suprise.

>

It was nice to see Anna Lee in a pretty big role, too. It's a very stylish movie, though I prefer *Man Hunt* because it's more tightly woven. *Ministry of Fear* does sort of hearken to the highly organized underworlds of Lang's early films.