Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Congressional shooting

55 posts in this topic

A gunman opened fire on a group of Republicans, including Representative Steve Scalise, House GOP Whip, while they were practicing for a baseball game. Several were hit, and are in the hospital. The shooter, now identified as James T. Hodgkinson, was taken down by police. He's alive at this time.

Maybe crazy white Democrats.

And who is making the divide and the mistrust even deeper.  Why, Trump.  Your country is in turmoil.  There was none of this business under Bush.

And who is making the divide and the mistrust even deeper.  Why, Trump.  Your country is in turmoil.  There was none of this business under Bush.

Yes,  like Obama,  Trump is making the divide and mistrust even deeper.

Belleville suspect killed in congressional shootout wanted to terminate the Republican Party

Belleville News-Democrat reporter Kelsey Landis was outside the Belleville home of James T. Hodgkinson, gunman in the Congressional shooting in Alexandria, Virginia. Hodgkinson, 66, lived with his wife on Rolling Hills Lane. President Donald Trump announced said that Hodgkinson died during gunfire with Congressional security workers. dholtmann@bnd.com

METRO-EAST NEWS JUNE 14, 2017 8:03 AM Belleville suspect killed in congressional shootout wanted to ‘terminate the Republican Party’

BY DANA RIECK, KELSEY LANDIS, JOSEPH BUSTOS, GEORGE PAWLAWCZYK, BETH HUNDSDORFER, AND ELIZABETH DONALD

bnd.com

The accused shooter who was killed during gunfire at practice for a congressional baseball game Wednesday morning was from Belleville.

The shooter was James T. Hodgkinson of Belleville, who belonged to a number of anti-Republican groups, including one called “Terminate the Republican Party.”

President Donald Trump said Hodgkinson died during gunfire exchanged with congressional security workers.

Hodgkinson, 66, owned a home-inspection business. Hodgkinson was a licensed home inspector from 1994 to 1997, when his license expired, according to records from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. He also held a license from 2003 to 2016, but it was not renewed.

Two days ago, Hodgkinson posted an angry tweet about President Donald Trump on Facebook.

“I Want to Say Mr. President, for being an **** hole you are Truly the Biggest **** Hole We Have Ever Had in the Oval Office,” he wrote on Facebook.

Hodgkinson is a member of a number of anti-Republican groups on Facebook, including one called “Terminate the Republican Party.”

▪  “The Road to Hell is Paved with Republicans”

▪  “Donald Trump is not my President”

▪  “President Bernie Sanders”

▪  “Illinois Berners United to Resist Trump”

▪  “Boycott the Republican Party”

▪  “Expose Republican Fraud”

▪  “Terminate the Republican Party”

\

Wait Bogie!

You're talkin' since George H.W. Bush here, now aren't ya?! Ya see, this whole EXTREME partisan politics crap seems to ME to have kicked into full gear JUST about the time Bill Clinton was first elected, and JUST about the time little ol' Newt started with his whole "Contract With America" thing.

(...I mean while there was never little love loss between Ronnie/Bush "Sr." and the Democratic party honchos in this country, this whole extreme partisan crap seemed to have started in EARNEST and by Republicans IN GENERAL once Bubba was elected, ya know!)

• Like 3

This was a tragic event, both for those injured and for the country.

But it is not surprising considering the current socio-economic and political situation in US.

While the Democrats and their supporters are not blameless in the overall development of this situation, personally I believe the Republicans are far, far more to blame.  More accurately, the ultra right wing extremists who have taken over the party, especially since 2008.

Obama did not make the divide greater as much as the Republicans used him and his policies to increase the divide.

However, the divide and push toward extremism for the Republican Party goes back to Goldwater in 1964.  Nixon and Reagan used it to get their policies passed and get friendlier Republicans in state and national government.  But it did really get a firmer foundation with Newt Gingrich and opposition to Bill Clinton.  Then it grew under G.W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

The opposition became a roar of hate with Obama's election and the rise of the alt-right media.  Each new Republican elected was more extreme and more filled with hate than the previous ones - and there  were more of them.

Trump lit a fire under all this and continues to do so with the help of too many Republicans.

The fact that it was a Democrat leaning Bernie Sanders supporter is not that important.  It is an extension of the politics of hate that has been fostered by one side in this country.  "As you sow, so shall you reap."

• Like 4

Didn't know the anti-designated hitter rule diehards were

this dangerous. Sad.

Yeeeeah, and besides Vautrin, I guess the crazed gunman today didn't know...

...wait for it...

tom-hanks-aleagueoftheirown-2.jpg

"THERE'S no shooting in BASEBALL!!!"

(...what...ya think I was gonna allow YOU to post the most tasteless comment about this thing?...no way, dude...I have my reputation around here to consider, ya know!)

The guy is a bad boy for shooting but his heart was in the right place, at least while it was still beating.

I can't go along with that.

At first, I kept "surfing" though various news reports to discover if Scalise was singled out for some reason, but it looks as if to the shooter, ANY republican would do.

Now, I can't condone this sort of thing REGARDLESS of any polititian's party or personal political policies.  And believe this or not;

I also wouldn't condone an assassination of president Trump.  Much as I dislike him and feel as president he might wind up doing more harm than good, I still wouldn't wish to see him shot.  It's MUCH more fun watching him SHOOT HIMSELF in the FOOT!  ;)

Sepiatone

It turns out he hated Hilary Clinton as much as Trump and became a Jill Stein supporter.  Nutjobs are everywhere I guess.

I can't go along with that.

If this is in response to me, please look again and see how we actually agree.

It turns out he hated Hilary Clinton as much as Trump and became a Jill Stein supporter.  Nutjobs are everywhere I guess.

Uh-oh.

:wacko:

The guy is a bad boy for shooting but his heart was in the right place, at least while it was still beating.

Wow.   Now I have heard it all.    But thanks for showing your true colors.    DB was right after all.

• Like 1

Wow.   Now I have heard it all.    But thanks for showing your true colors.    DB was right after all.

You mean I can't get away with a little gallows humor? I mean with all the stuff that people say, now that we are in Trump World?  If you are to take me so God-awful seriously on this, then I miscalculated the effect of my remark ... evidently.

Yeeeeah, and besides Vautrin, I guess the crazed gunman today didn't know...

...wait for it...

(...what...ya think I was gonna allow YOU to post the most tasteless comment about this thing?...no way, dude...I have my reputation around here to consider, ya know!)

Yes, but I was there first. And you can't really say this guy hit it out of the ballpark.

"Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer.

It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!"

-A Rand Paul tweet from June of 2016. Good thinking, nutsy.

• Like 1

"Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer.

It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!"

-A Rand Paul tweet from June of 2016. Good thinking, nutsy.

On the flip side of the coin, guess he was smart not to have a 2nd Amendment.

dfc0c326a053dfcb83ba94e0b92423b8.jpg

On the flip side of the coin, guess he was smart not to have a 2nd Amendment.

dfc0c326a053dfcb83ba94e0b92423b8.jpg

That particular quote is disputed. Even if it were accurate, it wouldn't prove very much.

Hitler's rise to and assumption of power was not very violent. And the nations he conquered

had standing armies, so disarming their citizens was not very important. I'm always amused

by people thinking that they can overthrow a government with a huge advantage in weaponry.

• Like 3