244 posts in this topic

Wal-Mart, Kroger and Target are among the top private employers in the US. So don't celebrate their misfortune with too much glee.

Or maybe they can all become coal miners.

Wal-Mart, Kroger and Target are among the top private employers in the US. So don't celebrate their misfortune with too much glee.

Or maybe they can all become coal miners.

Do you know how many small businesses / towns that corporate giant (Wal Mart) has killed?

Wal-Mart_Protest.jpg?1384312394

walmart.jpg?w=420

Yeah, right they are loved.

o-LA-WALMART-PROTEST-facebook.jpg

Do you know how many small businesses / towns that corporate giant (Wal Mart) has killed?

Of course I do, Ham.

Do you realize how many people they employ NOW?

Or are you under the impression that if a lot of people get let go from Wal-Mart that they'll go re-open those small businesses/towns?

What's done is done. And blaming Wal-Mart is the typical conservative hypocrisy. Out of one corner of their mouths they screech about the sanctity of the free market and out of the other corner they bemoan Wal-Mart's success, when the Wal-Mart business model is the free market allowed to run it's inevitable course. Customers made Wal-Mart successful. Customers shut down those small businesses. Customers shut down those small towns. If the average American cared about it, or thought about it, they would have refused to shop at Wal-Mart. But Americans want cheap garbage more than they care about their neighbors' livelihood.

The next step is being taken now, though, so it's all really moot. You'll see more and more brick-and-mortar stores closing and online shopping becoming the dominate force in retail. I just wonder where people are supposed to work to earn the money to buy their stuff online. By 2025, will the biggest private sector employers be fast food chains?  :unsure:

Fortunately my area still have some small businesses - I do my shopping there.  The only thing I buy at Wal Mart are a handful of plants every May.  No one sells them within a reasonable distance.

• Like 1

There is n

Of course I do, Ham.

Do you realize how many people they employ NOW?

Or are you under the impression that if a lot of people get let go from Wal-Mart that they'll go re-open those small businesses/towns?

What's done is done. And blaming Wal-Mart is the typical conservative hypocrisy. Out of one corner of their mouths they screech about the sanctity of the free market and out of the other corner they bemoan Wal-Mart's success, when the Wal-Mart business model is the free market allowed to run it's inevitable course. Customers made Wal-Mart successful. Customers shut down those small businesses. Customers shut down those small towns. If the average American cared about it, or thought about it, they would have refused to shop at Wal-Mart. But Americans want cheap garbage more than they care about their neighbors' livelihood.

The next step is being taken now, though, so it's all really moot. You'll see more and more brick-and-mortar stores closing and online shopping becoming the dominate force in retail. I just wonder where people are supposed to work to earn the money to buy their stuff online. By 2025, will the biggest private sector employers be fast food chains?  :unsure:

There is no such free market here in CA when it comes to Wal-Mart;   I.e. there are regulations that prevent Wal-Marts from being built because they are not union "friendly".     (In LA small businesses have stopped a few Wal-Marts but few small businesses are unionized,  but oh-well). 

As you noted in areas where Wal-Mart type stores were allowed it was the local customers that made those stores a success and put small businesses out of business,  one can't  fault a consumer from shopping at stores that offer lower prices for the same quality goods. 

As for the politics here;  Being happy about a hit on Wal-Mart due to Amazon is silly (at best);  as you imply all that is occurring is one major corporation is hurting another,  but with the additional factor that Amazon is able to provide goods using less personnel than Wal-Mart due to automation and that means less jobs. 

As you noted in areas where Wal-Mart type stores were allowed it was the local customers that made those stores a success and put small businesses out of business,  one can't  fault a consumer from shopping at stores that offer lower prices for the same quality goods. 

One of the more frustrating aspects of Wal-Mart's success is that people paid those lower prices for often inferior products. So it wasn't the usual "lowest price for the same thing" but just the "lowest price", period. They used to sell a greater variety of brands, but as people bought the cheapest option more and more, they started phasing out the other brands.

• Like 1

"This means Amazon is now going to compete head on with Walmart, as well as Target, Costco, and Kroger (all of whose stock prices tumbled on the news). Within 10 years, they'll all be gone. Amazon is on the verge of owning American retailing.

Heads up: At the rate they’re going, within 20 years Amazon, Google, and Apple (possibly along with Microsoft and Facebook) will dominate the American economy. Watch as they begin to take over finance and the media.

Will this be good for consumers? No. With that kind of economic power, they'll be able to raise prices. Good for American democracy? No. With that kind of power, they'll basically run the government -- as did railroads and oil in the Gilded Age.

What's the answer? Revive antitrust."

-Rbt. Reich

:unsure:

• Like 1

I'm sure you all have read the jokes about what the money Amazon spent for Whole Foods will get you when you shop there,

e.g. a jar of asparagus water and two organic apples.  Insert your own joke(s).

I'm sure you all have read the jokes about what the money Amazon spent for Whole Foods will get you when you shop there,

e.g. a jar of asparagus water and two organic apples. Insert your own joke(s).

I just came in from shopping at Natural Grocers, so I I don't feel like an organic food joke at the moment.

Trump Officials Overseeing Amazon-Whole Foods Merger May Face Conflicts of Interest-

"Officials from both the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission, the two agencies charged with enforcing antitrust law, have financial ties to the law firms expected to play a major role in managing the deal........

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/18/amazon-whole-foods-merger-conflicts-trump-officials/

:rolleyes:<_<