Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Childhood Favorites

4 posts in this topic

I'm interested to know which films/shows were your favorites as a child/teenager. I can honestly recall being obsessed with My Fair Lady (1964) and Sound of Music (1965). I would force my friends to reenact some of the musical numbers with me in my basement, which I guess I'll credit to the reason why my friends rarely came over haha. (I jest, I jest, my brother lived in the same house as me :) I think I learned every line of music and dialogue from Sound of Music by the time I was 5 years old. I'd like to think I learned how to speak with an English accent from the wonderful Julie Andrews (as a result of watching this dad-gum movie all the time).

What are some movies you all remember loving?

I always loved watching my favorite Disney movies: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King--all of which I saw in the theater when they came out.

I also loved all the Hayley Mills movies.  

Then there were all my other favorites: Clueless, Dumb & Dumber, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Encino Man, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, The Brady Bunch Movie, Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Clue, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink... 

As for classics, I loved The Long, Long Trailer, the Laurel & Hardy shorts, The Marx Brothers' movies, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz... 

I don't know why I'm writing in past tense.  I still love and watch all of these things.  Lol. 

• Like 1

I listened to the Broadway recording of MY FAIR LADY as a child and memorized all the songs. I had no idea what the story was until seeing the movie on TCM when in my 30's!

As a child I loved Shirley Temple movies and the Hope/Crosby/Lamour "Road" pictures. Actually, my favorite was Hope with Jane Russell in SON OF PALEFACE because it had the extra bonus of Trigger!

If an Abbott & Costello movie was on TV, I'd watch it, but they never delighted me as much as the Hope/Crosbys. I also really liked THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT and thought if I ever had a daughter she'd be "Alexis" I just loved Alexis Smith in that movie.

I'm glad TV showed "Our Gang" and 3 Stooges shorts too, they really got me interested in "olden times". I was never prejudiced about b&w vs color because of those.

Getting older, in my teens I'd skip school to see classic silents at the Eastman House and discovered Chaplin, Keaton, Louise Brooks & Gloria Swanson.

• Like 1

I remember watching Charlie Chan movies on tv every Saturday when I was a child. Couldn't wait for Saturday to come. The Bowery Boys and Our Gang movies were also a favorite of mine.