Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Childhood Favorites

18 posts in this topic

I'm interested to know which films/shows were your favorites as a child/teenager. I can honestly recall being obsessed with My Fair Lady (1964) and Sound of Music (1965). I would force my friends to reenact some of the musical numbers with me in my basement, which I guess I'll credit to the reason why my friends rarely came over haha. (I jest, I jest, my brother lived in the same house as me :) I think I learned every line of music and dialogue from Sound of Music by the time I was 5 years old. I'd like to think I learned how to speak with an English accent from the wonderful Julie Andrews (as a result of watching this dad-gum movie all the time).

What are some movies you all remember loving?

• Like 1

I always loved watching my favorite Disney movies: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King--all of which I saw in the theater when they came out.

I also loved all the Hayley Mills movies.  

Then there were all my other favorites: Clueless, Dumb & Dumber, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Encino Man, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, The Brady Bunch Movie, Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Clue, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink... 

As for classics, I loved The Long, Long Trailer, the Laurel & Hardy shorts, The Marx Brothers' movies, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz... 

I don't know why I'm writing in past tense.  I still love and watch all of these things.  Lol. 

• Like 2

I listened to the Broadway recording of MY FAIR LADY as a child and memorized all the songs. I had no idea what the story was until seeing the movie on TCM when in my 30's!

As a child I loved Shirley Temple movies and the Hope/Crosby/Lamour "Road" pictures. Actually, my favorite was Hope with Jane Russell in SON OF PALEFACE because it had the extra bonus of Trigger!

If an Abbott & Costello movie was on TV, I'd watch it, but they never delighted me as much as the Hope/Crosbys. I also really liked THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT and thought if I ever had a daughter she'd be "Alexis" I just loved Alexis Smith in that movie.

I'm glad TV showed "Our Gang" and 3 Stooges shorts too, they really got me interested in "olden times". I was never prejudiced about b&w vs color because of those.

Getting older, in my teens I'd skip school to see classic silents at the Eastman House and discovered Chaplin, Keaton, Louise Brooks & Gloria Swanson.

• Like 2

I remember watching Charlie Chan movies on tv every Saturday when I was a child. Couldn't wait for Saturday to come. The Bowery Boys and Our Gang movies were also a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Astrid Pike said:

Hello. My favourite childhood movies were The Lion King, The Mysterious Cities of Gold and Walt Disney films like Snow White and the seven Dwarfs, Three Little pigs and Cinderella. I also liked to watch the series Victorious and Sam & Cat during my teenage hood. These animated pictures made my early days, fantastic and good unforgettable memories. Have a nice day!

Hi! Welcome to the boards :) I absolutely love The Lion King and Cinderella. The music in these 2 movies is so catchy. 

Like other posters here I loved (and still love) the movies of the so-called Disney Renaissance, my favorite being ALADDIN. I also loved BABE, NEWSIES, THE MASK, HOCUS POCUS,  DENNIS THE MENACE, CLUELESS, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, TITANIC, NEVER BEEN KISSED, SHE'S ALL THAT and AMERICAN PIE ("This one time at band camp . . .)"

I always loved watching older musicals, especially with my grandmother. Some of her favorites (and mine) were FUNNY GIRL, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and BYE BYE BIRDIE.     

• Thanks 1

I drove my family crazy watching IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD every time it was on TV.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC and the original STAR WARS franchise were movies we all enjoyed together as a family though.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 6:40 AM, TikiSoo said:

I listened to the Broadway recording of MY FAIR LADY as a child and memorized all the songs. I had no idea what the story was until seeing the movie on TCM when in my 30's!

As a child I loved Shirley Temple movies and the Hope/Crosby/Lamour "Road" pictures. Actually, my favorite was Hope with Jane Russell in SON OF PALEFACE because it had the extra bonus of Trigger!

If an Abbott & Costello movie was on TV, I'd watch it, but they never delighted me as much as the Hope/Crosbys. I also really liked THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT and thought if I ever had a daughter she'd be "Alexis" I just loved Alexis Smith in that movie.

I'm glad TV showed "Our Gang" and 3 Stooges shorts too, they really got me interested in "olden times". I was never prejudiced about b&w vs color because of those.

Getting older, in my teens I'd skip school to see classic silents at the Eastman House and discovered Chaplin, Keaton, Louise Brooks & Gloria Swanson.

I was obsessed with the London recording of My Fair Lady and the movie soundtrack of West Side Story. And like you, I memorized all the songs in My Fair Lady. I can remember looking up the Spanish Inquisition in the encyclopedia because I didn't know what it was.LOL

And just like you, Shirley Temple mesmerised me. I'd watch her to figure out how she did those tap steps because they looked hard to me. If only I had had a VCR to break down the steps!

But I guess I was most obsessed with the Fred Astaire movies; and they should have come with warnings. Trying to do those movements like Cyd Charisse in Silk Stockings should have killed me, but somehow I survived.

Never caught this thread when it originated.  But what I'm getting is:

The OP wants to know about other's favorites as a child/teenager.

Since both periods span a good length of time, it's hard to nail that down for me.  Like, as a child (generally from birth to 12) it went from HOWDY DOODY  to CAPTAIN KANGAROO to HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE, THE RIFLEMAN, ONE STEP BEYOND, THE MILLIONAIRE, TWILIGHT ZONE, I LOVE LUCY, and I could go further as far as "shows" (if the OP meant TV shows) And as for MOVIES, well, they're so varied and constantly changing I won't even attempt to put anything in.

How Y'ALL can do so is beyond me.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

When I was a kid, long before cable, we have a UHF channel 52 that had a whole slate for kids from about 2pm to 7pm or so. Little Rascals/Our Gang, Three Stooges, My little Margie etc.... And I watched it everyday ! This was a time when if Godzilla or some other monster movie played, it would be early like 5pm so kids could watch. This would actually be part of the school bulletin that was read each day.

Oh and I loved Pippi Longstocking. Pippi might have been the first films I watched without falling asleep :lol:  

On 1/18/2018 at 5:43 AM, Sepiatone said:

Since both periods span a good length of time, it's hard to nail that down for me.  Like, as a child (generally from birth to 12) it went from HOWDY DOODY  to CAPTAIN KANGAROO to HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE, THE RIFLEMAN, ONE STEP BEYOND, THE MILLIONAIRE,

Sepiatone

Did you know Decades had a Millionaire binge weekend before last ? That's episodes all Saturday and Sunday.

Yep.  And I looked in on a lot of them.  Saw a few familiar faces at the "sunset" of their careers, and a few just starting out.  I was gonna jot down some names, but got tied up with caregiving.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

When I was a kid I loved Peter Sellers' "The Party".  I loved the Technicolor and loved the silly things Sellers did.  When I watch it now (I have tbe DVD), it feels like going back.

• Like 2

I was 17 when "The Party" came out.  By that time I had long been a fan of Sellers. But even though it is far down a long list of his filmography, it was "classic" Sellers. ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

As a kid I really liked the films of Lash Larue. I sincerely wish TCM would show some of his old movies on their Saturday morning programming. He was different than a lot of the other cowboy stars of the time.

• Thanks 1

Since this thread has been revived, I'll post too.

I actually didn't get into old movies until I was in high school but I loved Shirley Temple, Natalie Wood and James Dean. 

As a kid I watched a lot of classic TV, Nick at Nite and TV Land were my go-tos. I loved The Brady Bunch, Mister Ed. Happy Days, The Facts of Life and others. When I was 13 or maybe 14 I got into SNL reruns with the original cast and I was obsessed with those episodes for years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a very impressionable youngster, myself. I didn't quite understand cinema (or even real life, as far as that goes). More than either TV or movies, I lived in a world of books and my own imagination.

In my neighborhood watching TV was anathema, it was for weaklings, shut-ins, or sickly kids. If you were any kind of a male at all, you spent every available moment outdoors (running, jumping, tackling each other, or just generally getting in trouble!)

Some of the flicks I recall are therefore not always ones which I could say I grasped, or enjoyed; but rather startling images I glimpsed in passing and which affected me because they appeared so strange, alien, antique, or cryptic.

One of Lee's "Fu Manchu" movies for example, stood out for its ability to confound my young mind.

Bela Lugosi in 'Bride of the Monster'.

Not sure what else I can recall at this point. Many brain cells ago...

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I was a very impressionable youngster, myself. I didn't quite understand cinema (or even real life, as far as that goes). More than either TV or movies, I lived in a world of books and my own imagination.

In my neighborhood watching TV was anathema, it was for weaklings, shut-ins, or sickly kids. If you were any kind of a male at all, you spent every available moment outdoors (running, jumping, tackling each other, or just generally getting in trouble!)

Some of the flicks I recall are therefore not always ones which I could say I grasped, or enjoyed; but rather startling images I glimpsed in passing and which affected me because they appeared so strange, alien, antique, or cryptic.

One of Lee's "Fu Manchu" movies for example, stood out for its ability to confound my young mind.

Bela Lugosi in 'Bride of the Monster'.

Not sure what else I can recall at this point. Many brain cells ago...

I'm guessing you saw The Face of Fu Manchu as directed by Don Sharp who did the cult classic, Witchcraft also.

Glad to see you were out and about, building up muscles and stamina in order to lead your troops to victory, Sgt. Markoff. Sadly I was a blue baby as my mother stated quite unequivocably, so had to stay in occasionally to watch the boob tube.

• Like 1