krazykatclassics

TCM/Charley Chase talkback thread

119 posts in this topic

I always love Le Roy Shield's music so much in these comedies. I heard a piano rendition of the tune that's usually used as Charley Chase's theme song under the scene where he is freshening up with the rose water dispenser. Too bad the Beauhunks couldn't have isolated that piano solo and recorded it fresh, it's truly inspiring to listen to it. The Pip From Pittsburg is certainly a funny comedy, and Thelma Todd is beautiful and funny at the same time. I love Charley trying to change clothes with his friend during the "blackout" scenes, it makes them look like Siamese twins wearing the same pants and coat and stretching out across the ballroom. Is the vat of mud or concrete that Charley and Thelma fall into in the last sequence planted earlier in the short? I didn't quite understand what it was doing there, except to make Charley and Thelma look rediculous!

$781.81 for a Charley Chase short? That's what someone just paid on eBay for a 16mm print of a Columbia two reeler, "The Nightshirt Bandit". The prices for film have fallen in recent months but Charley Chase films have been going high at auction. Althought this particular short isn't one of the best Columbias, several people were going for this one. I can only remain relieved that my print (which set me back sixty bucks) has been stored well for twenty years.

Do you suppose that the broadcasting of the Chase shorts by TCM has raised the market values of the fis films?

--

Terry Wallace

The reason the Chase films are commanding such a high price is that so many of them were not available through retailers and the Columbia two reelers. in particular, were limited to a brief airing during television's early years . There were some rental exchanges that had some of the films but there were only around sixty prints per title in television distribution. How many of these originals survive is not clear but to find them is a tough one

The other reason is that so many Chase fans came late to the party. People who were fans and who were collecting early on were able to acquire several of the films and over time, amassed a lovely archive. Blackhawk Films released some of the Hal Roach talkies but it is the majority of the sound Chase films that was harder to come by. Thankfully, some of us in the film world have been most fortunate. In some cases, our films have been the source for restoratons of certain titles.

It would be interesting to see if TCM would ever strike a deal with Columbia to run some of their short subject library. Since they have a contract for features, the liklihood of a deal for shorts isn't impossible.

Not just Chase films but Andy Clyde and the other comic shorts AND the Screen Snapshots series would be worthwile as well.

That's an interesting prospect.

I couldn't wait for TCM to play their next Charlie Chase short, so I grabbed an old vcr tape of shorts and found the 1927 short Forgotten Sweeties.

This is a great little short where Charlie's ex-girlfriend and husband move in across the hall from Charlie and his wife, and Charlie's wife (along with his ex-girlfriends husband) are none to happy about it.

Not to give to much away for those who haven't seen it, but in one scene Charlie ends up in his ex-girlfriends bedroom (by mistake) and in his attempt to scare the husband to get back out, he turns on a light a creates a shadow puppet of a bat on the wall. The husband screams "My Gawd - the Bat" and the husband and ex-girlfriend run screaming into the bathroom.

The first time I saw this short I had not seen the 1927 silent The Bat. The film ask the audience to keep the identity of the Bat a secret, so I will do so, but this time around I truly understood the humor of the shadow puppet (classic Charlie Chase).

Late last year, MGMWBRKO, posted that Hallmark(the owners of the Roach library)was being very slow in transferring the Charley Chase sound comedies and I guess we can expect to see the Chase comedies return this spring on TCM.He also posted thaat we'll get to see the early sound Harry Langdon shorts he made at Roach in early 2008.

Now that TCM is back to a regular schedule, here's hoping that we'll see the return of the Chase talkies this month on TCM.It seems that there is always a four month gap inbetween the Chase talkies, since the last one aired back in November 2007 and let's hope that Hallmark has sped up the process in getting the films transfered to video tape, so that they may air on TCM real soon.

If there is a rotation they'll have to get in line behind Laurel & Hardy and "The Boyfriends" and the Todd/Pitts shorts. I think they should mix them up. I missed a couple and would like to catch them again.

They don;t really plan the shorts more than 5 or 6 days out. At least that is what MGMWBRKO said last year. He was instrumental in even getting them listed on the web schedule. That's what I do every couple of days. However, I would have missed it but for the friendly reminder.

The recently discovered silent one reeler, "APRIL FOOL" starring Charley Chase will be seen at 3AM PDT on April 1st. While not the first time it has aired on TCM, it's still fun to see him scheduled. Funny, this short was long considered lost but I've had a 16mm print of it in my Chase archive for years and I know of at least one other collector who has it. Here's to more Chase (and Hal Roach) shorts coming up soon.

Message was edited by: HalRoach16mm

Oh Where, oh where have the Charley Chase talkies gone and the rest of the Hal Roach comedies?Last year MGMWBRKO even posted that TCM will air the Harry Langdon sound comedies in early 2008.

Well, where are they?????

There is a possibility that the Hal Roach shorts may be combined to form a Hal Roach Theater program. Long time posters may remember that the proposal was suggested to the higher ups at TCM so it's not too far fetched. Stay tuned.

Welcome aboard ROACHALLSTARS,

I think that a few of us Hal Roach fans, finds it rather odd that we haven't seen much of the Roach talkies in quite some time and it makes you wonder did something happen between Hallmark and TCM?

Just an update - about the Hal Roach All Star idea - it is being brought up by someone to TCM as well as other possibilities for short programming. That would be a wonderful addition to the channel, to say the least. I think that it's being brought up this week, possibly next week.

As a side note, last week there was a special evening held in Hollywood as a tribute to the Hal Roach All Stars films. Several shorts were screened including home movies taken at the Roach Studio. A capacity crowd was in attendance including former Our Gang member, Bob Baker.

Charley Chase was included and was the hit of the night.

Also starting July, TCM is running a Hal Roach day once a week. It seems to be kicking off with a double dose of features or shorts eg. ROUGH SEAS and THE MUSIC BOX. Also, the rare feature(and it's a good one!) KELLY THE SECOND w/Patsy Kelly and Charley Chase will air in July. I've also heard a rumor that TCM is making this the first step in response to this forum in regards to our request for a weekly Roach fest(as opposed to a roach infestation). Stay tuned....

null

null

null

The Hal Roach program in April consisted of silent and sound shorts. Screened to benefit the Hollywood Heratage Museum, the evening presented Douglas Wakefield and Billy Nelson in CROOK'S TOUR - Earl Mohan in a rare surviving HUNKEY DORREY series comedy entitled, ALL WOOL - Bily Gilbert and Billy Blecher in RHAPSODY IN BREW - Max Davidson in FLAMING FATHERS, which was from an original and in beautiful condition amber tinted print - Charley Chase in NOW WE'LL TELL ONE - Thelma Todd and Zazu Pitts in ON THE LOOSE (the audience was completely surprised and delighted by the cameo appearance of Laurel and Hardy at the films conclusion) - there was a very rare reel of home movies shot at the Hal Roach Studios and a fan could keenly spot familiar parts of the stage - also seen in the home movies were Joe Cobb, cinematographer Art Lloyd, his wife Venice and a special reel of film taken by Lloyd at the home of Spanky Mcfarland. He was playing with his brother and the kid known as "Remarkable" from the Our Gang Comedies.

Heads up folks! While it's not strictly Charley Chase, it is great news for Hal Roach fans.

In June, TCM will show Laurel & Hardy feature films on Saturday

mornings. Two features, beginning at Saturday 10AM Eastern.

June 2008

June 7

SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)

OUR RELATIONS (1936)

June 14

BLOCK-HEADS (1938)

SWISS MISS (1938)

June 21

WAY OUT WEST (1938)

A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1939)

June 28

THE FLYING DEUCES (1939)