krazykatclassics

TCM/Charley Chase talkback thread

119 posts in this topic

I sure hope we get a weekly Hal Roach show. I'm dying to see The Boy Friends, Todd/Pitts (I got in on and saw almost all of the Todd/Kelly shorts they showed -- some great stuff!), more Charley Chase, Our Gang, etc.! A weekly show would be fantastic (hope it's at least a 60 or 90 minute show). Thank you for the info.!

Excellent! Can't wait to see so many of these shorts and movies. I'm REALLY looking forward to this! Thank you so much for this info.

Charley Chase June 21st. 6:40AM PDT - "Neighborhood House". This is Chase's final two reeler for Hal Roach. It was filmed as "Bank Night" a feature length comedy. It previewed badly and was cut down to two reels. Sadly, Chase was let go of the studio he worked at nearly fifteen years.

Don't miss the chance to see Darla from Our Gang as his daughter and Rosina Lawrence as his wife..

Hope that everyone caught the Chase classic Neighborhood House this morning and I wonder when we'll see new first run Chase talkies on TCM?It's been a very long time since we've seen a new Chase short air.

> {quote:title=HalRoach16mm wrote:}{quote}

> Charley Chase June 21st. 6:40AM PDT - "Neighborhood House". This is Chase's final two reeler for Hal Roach. It was filmed as "Bank Night" a feature length comedy. It previewed badly and was cut down to two reels. Sadly, Chase was let go of the studio he worked at nearly fifteen years.

>

> Don't miss the chance to see Darla from Our Gang as his daughter and Rosina Lawrence as his wife..

I did not know it was supposed to be a feature length film!!! Man, wonder what the odds are that any of the cuts scenes are sitting in a vault somewhere????

The Roach outtakes have not survived save for a special reel prepared as a gift to Stan Laurel.

Titles, "That's That", this "gag" reel has some interesting footage.

As for outtakes and deleted footage, you have a better chance of finding one of the lost Roach films; at least they were once distributed to theaters. Looking at Neighborhood House, if that's the best of what was left to remain from a feature, there's little reason to suspect that what was deleted was much good. Now the footage taken out of Swiss Miss of Stan's gag with the piano would be wonderful to see but again, all the unused film was destroyed, much to Stan's dismay.

Just posted this in the "Upcoming Shorts" thread, also, but to cover the bases (and possibly more appropriately):

Well, they FINALLY showed "Kelly the Second," so that we could see for ourselves whether it was cute or dreadful or demeaning to Charley or whatever. I'd say, a little of all by moments. No worse than some of the shorts, but not a gem.

Now, if they'll just get around to Lyda Roberti and Kelly, at least the whole Pitts/Todd/Kelly/Kelton/Roberti series will have been shown. Taxi Boys, where are you? And more of the Charley Chase shorts, of course!

Bill

ATTENTION ALL CHARLEY CHASE FANS.

Cinecon 44, one of the oldest classic film festivals in the country will be held August 28th thru September 1st at Grauman's Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Among the over forty films presented will be three films featuring comedy pioneer Charley Chase.

First up is a meticulously restored version of "Tillie's Punctured Romance", which includes recently found footage that hasn't been seen since its original release in 1914. Charley Chase plays a detective and has a sequence with Charles Chaplin and Mabel Normand in a movie theater.

Second is a long lost film and the first sound motion picture Charley Chase appeared in, entitled Modern Love (1929). Released by Universal, this film also features Anita Garvin. Chase and Garvin filmed this during the break at the Hal Roach Studios when the compound was closed in order to wire up for sound pictures. This will be the first time since 1929 that the once lost film will be seen AND in 35mm.

Finally, one of the four missing Charley Chase Columbia shorts that hasn't been seen since its original release in 1939 will be shown. The Awful Goof also features Lucille Lund, who played the wife of Boris Karloff in The Black Cat. Screened in 35mm (as are virtually all the films) this is another rare opportunity to see a once thought lost film.

Many features, shorts, cartoons and other rare film will be seen including a two reel remake of Laurel and Hardy's classic Way Out West, this time featuring Max Baer and Maxie Rosenbloom, made at Coolumbia Pictures. Go to the Cinecon website for further information. www.cinecon.org and don't miss this chance to see rare Charley Chase and other amazing films. Cinecon is an annual festival and always takes place over Labor Day weekend. The celebrity banquet is a chance to see at least fifty stars from the glory days and is a big highlight of the festival.

Don't expect to wait for these to pop up on DVD. Film preservation is not done soley so everything can be put out on video. Some things are done for preservation purposes and can be seen the way they were meant to be seen; on a screen. Come join us as we screen rare classics and a few nobody has seen in decades.

Viva Chase!

HalRoach16mm,

I have a couple of questions for you, since you been very helpful in the past.

1.Last year, I heard that almost a complete print of Modern Love survived and quickly caught Universal's attention.A year later, does a "complete" print of this long lost feature survive intact, including scenes with Anita?

2.Has there been any latest developments on the possible weekly TCM series of the Hal Roach series?

I can speak for some members that we are a little worried, that we have not seen that many Roach shorts this entire year(with the sole exception of two Chase shorts last month), most especially the rest of the Chase talkies.I don't know if TCM is starting to have a bias against showing comedy shorts as "fillers", or Hallmark is having problems in transfering the films to video.There is still plenty of great Chase talkies that have not yet been shown on TCM and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the rest of them on the channel.

Just a reminder, since you brought up the Roach shorts, that there are about 15 Laurel and Hardy shorts scheduled for their SUTS day on August 23.

Hopefully, they will get the rest of the Roach shorts back into some kind of rotation.

I have to think that the print of Modern Love, which has been culled from various sources will be partially incomplete but considering that it was once lost except for a "Show At Home" silent print, this is a big notice. Again, it shouldn't be thought of as a comedic gem but it's very rare and almost something of a miracle to at least have the chance to see it at all. We had the chance to see the restoration in process and were pleased to see how it has progressed. It will be a thrill to see it as complete as possible later this month.

No word yet on the "Hal Roach Theater". TCM is showing the L&H shorts which kind of makes up for the lack of them (and Roach shorts in general). We have to remember that TCM has other priorities. Also, the Roach shorts haven't been best served as "catch as catch can" entries. I know tons of people who didn't know they were being seen at all. We here online have been very fortunate to have this forum and the TCM webpages to check for them.

I have just been told that due to the success of the "Three Stooges" dvd collections, that Sony is planning on releasing(and I'm not kidding here)all of the Charley Chase shorts he made over at Columbia.Nothing is confirmed, but I actually do believe this, since Sony did release all of the Buster Keaton/Columbia shorts and no one ever saw that coming.

If I get any news, I'll post it right here.....

I was holding back on the information because it's not a done deal but since the previous poster mentions it, I may as well post the information.

After years of asking and prodding, I was able to persuade my dearest friend at Sony to do a search for the four unavailable Charley Chase Columbia Shorts. The results were long in coming but the end result was successful. His email three years ago was the most wonderful news I could hope for. There are elements for the "missing four" Chase Columbias and there are negs to the previously available 16.

The rights are still being cleared but, if all goes smooth, the tentative release is scheduled for April '09. I did mention that it would be worthwile to release the Chase directed and/or written Columbia shorts in addition to the starring twenty but this wasn't met with the same enthusiasm. Another idea is to release the non Stooge Stooge shorts (the solo Shemps, Joes and Curly Joes) but this may be released on the final volume of Stooge shorts which could help sales of the "Stooges Joe" shorts.

However, after the tremendous response to our screening of the complete "Modern Love" (yes, it was all there in all its sound glory) and "The Awful Goof", at Cinecon in Hollywood, the Chase Columbia project is in motion.

With commentaries by myself as well as two others, I've been approached about loaning my Chase Columbia paper archive to the project. It's still in the prep stages so stay tuned.

This is something I posted elsewhere in an attempt to correct a misidentified picture, and to provide some information about one of my favorite obscure actresses, Nena Quartaro. Since I found myself mentioning Charley Chase quite a bit I decided to post it here, too.

Meet Nena Quartaro...

Regarding that picture of Lina Basquette posted on Dec. 14, it's certainly beautiful, in fact one of my favorites. But there's just one slight problem... it is NOT Lina Basquette. That is a still of Nena Quartaro from the 1933 Hal Roach/MGM feature "The Devil's Brother" (also known as "Fra Diavolo") starring Laurel & Hardy. I have the original still right here. It is #HR-F3-103. That means it's from Hal Roach feature #3, still #103. Although her scenes in the movie were cut to almost nothing in the final edit her image was used quite a lot in the promotion of the film. She is even pictured prominently (and beautifully colored in) on two of the original lobby cards. She can also be seen in ad cuts and other promotional material for the film. Obviously they knew that even though she had little to do in the movie, pictures of a beautiful girl would look good in the advertising. And with the classic beauty Thelma Todd in the movie too, it says a lot that Nena was used in so much of the advertising, although as noted her role in the film was heavily edited.

I have done many years of research on Nena Quartaro, and here are some brief career highlights.

Nena (whose first name is also sometimes given as Nina, and whose last name is sometimes seen as Quartero) was born Gladys Quartararo, and used the name Gladys Quartaro for her first few movies in 1928. She worked at Hal Roach Studios in 1928 and 1929 in five shorts, four with Charley Chase (including Chase's first talkie, "The Big Squawk") then worked at several different studios, appearing in more shorts, plus all kinds of features. Sometimes small parts, sometimes unbilled, she rarely had leading roles. She returned to Roach Studios in 1933 for about a year (two features, three shorts) then back to freelancing including a nice role in Charley Chase's first short for Columbia Pictures in 1937 ("The Grand ****"). Her final role was in the 1943 comedy "A Lady Takes a Chance". She passed away on Nov. 23, 1985 at age 77. It's interesting that on her Death Certificate her occupation was given as "actress" although she hadn't made a movie since 1943 and her employer was given as MGM, for whom she hadn't made a film since 1936.

I have no idea how or why anyone would or could confuse Nena Quartaro with Lina Basquette, but this is not the first time I've seen it. Several months ago while working on research for the Program Notes for the Capitolfest in Rome, New York, where the 1928 Lina Basquette feature "Show Folks" was being screened I came across some website that also had the two ladies mixed up, in fact even using this same still of Nena misidentified as Lina.

---- Rich F.

Four Parts, a Charley Chase short from 1934, was shown following Four Wives on Thursday morning 9/3/09. This short was not included in TCM's online schedule.

Yes I just caught the end of it. Wish I'd known it was coming. It's one of my favorites of Chase's talkies. And I don't think it's been on TCM before. Please can it be re-scheduled again very soon?

Thank you for the title. Sadly, I missed the beginning because they didn't have this on the schedule. I was just LUCKY to have stumbled in on what I saw. My favorite shorts are the Hal Roach shorts, so this was very disappointing to miss.