krazykatclassics

TCM/Charley Chase talkback thread

119 posts in this topic

I had the film before it on!

I had a glitch with my electronics, and I turned the power off after the film was over to restart the satellite box , and was really shocked to see Charley Chase on when the satellite came back up.

I had checked the schedule, and there were no shorts scheduled for that time. I certainly would have waited another 20 minutes to restart the satellite box had I known that a Charley Chase short ( that I hadn't seen before ) was on! I only saw the second half of it - I believe that it is called "Four Parts". My favorites are the Roach shorts!

Could TCM please air "Four Parts" again and list it on the schedule? I would really like to see this one from the start.

Message was edited by: Agnes63

TCM has other "phantom" shorts that don't show up in the online schedule. I'm thinking of the S.S. Van Dine mystery shorts from Vitaphone. These are sometimes used as "fillers" with Silent Sunday features. So far I've been able to catch three of these but I've missed at least one, perhaps more.

Charley Chase short coming up?

On Sept. 3 TCM ran the Charley Chase short FOUR PARTS (1934) unlisted after the movie FOUR WIVES. A lot of people missed it because it wasn't on the schedule.

We may br getting a second chance to see it on Monday, Dec. 28. The movie FOUR WIVES is coming on again, and there's no short listed in the schedule after it, but there's time for one.

So everyone, tune in and let's hope we get to see the great Chase short FOUR PARTS.

Okay, it's a long shot, I know...but it could happen!

Hal Roach short coming!

THE CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET (1934) - Charley Chase.

Wednesday, July 14 at 7:39 P.M. (eastern)

This is the Chase short in which he and leading lady Betty Mack sing the popular tune of the day, "You Gotta Give Credit to Love". Most Chase fans consider his songs to be highlights of the films. They're catchy, clever, and frequently do fit in with the story. Chase wrote many of the songs himself, often sharing co-writing credit with Roach studio resident musical genius Marvin Hatley, and others such as actors Billy Gilbert, Eddie Dunn, and also writer - director Walter Weems.

"You Gotta Give Credit to Love" is one of the best, and is performed charmingly by Chase and Miss Mack. But something that many Chase fans may not know is that this was actually NOT a Chase or Hatley original. It was a hit song already popular at the time it was included in this short. It was written by the team of Sigler, Goodhart & Hoffman (but Charley Chase did provide a few lines of parody lyrics for his version). The song was recorded on 78 RPM records by the bands of Johnnie Davis and Don Bestor (I have both) in September and October 1934 and so would still have been currently being heard on the radio at the time this Chase short was released on December 22, 1934.

Exciting news for Charley Chase fans, announced Nov. 28, 2012:

SONY/Columbia has announced the long-awaited DVD release of their Charley Chase shorts, Volume One.

Release date is expected to be January 1, 2013.

Shorts included:

Man Bites Lovebug (1937)

The Mind Needer (1938)

The Chump Takes a Bump (1939)

Rattling Romeo (1939)

Skinny the Moocher (1939)

The Awful Goof (1939)

The Heckler (1940)

South of the Boudoir (1940)

A Nag in the Bag (1938) (Starring Smith & Dale, directed by Charley Chase).

With only 8 of the total of 20 Chase shorts included in this volume, I expect they may spread the remaining 12 out over two more volumes and include more shorts Chase directed starring others.

Charley Chase short coming up on TCM:

Sunday morning, May 19, after feature HERE COMES MR. JORDAN, at 11:35 eastern time:

PUBLIC GHOST NO. 1 (1935) starring Charley Chase and Joyce Compton.

They don't run this one very often, in fact my records show it has been on only once before, way back on September 25, 2007.

So, don't miss it this time!

Hope you enjoyed it.

My records indicate that this was the first time it has been shown on TCM. If anyone else has been keeping track of the Roach shorts shown on TCM, can someone confirm if it's been on before?

dear musical novelty...i have been unable to get nitrateville but got email advising a message from you

please let me know the message..have you been able to effect transfers???thanks bill m

Darn! Second time I've missed recording Manhattan Monkey Business. Anybody out there with a copy? My own fault too since I recorded all the Nurse themed movies the prior evening (my time zone) and didn't bother to check today's schedule. Double Darn!!!!

I'm concerned that the Columbia Charley Chase short THE HECKLER (1940) that was scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014 no longer appears to be on the schedule. Neither does the 1936 Three Stooges Columbia short DISORDER IN THE COURT, also scheduled for Jan.7.

Maybe they'll still be shown, but it would be nice if they were listed so viewers can know when to catch them.

Three Charley Chase shorts coming up on TCM:

Monday, March 31, 2014:

HIGH C'S (1930) - 1:21 A.M. (Eastern time) (After Sunday night silent feature).

THE TABASCO KID (1932) - Monday afternoon at 1:36 P.M. (Eastern time).

NOW WE'LL TELL ONE (1932) - Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 11:27 P.M.