Sign in to follow this  
LuckyDan

Ken Burns' The War

3 posts in this topic

Is anyone else watching this series? I missed the first few episodes, but last night's installment, "****," moved me more than anything I've seen about WWII in a long time, especially the narrated writings of Eugene Sledge on his experience at Peleliu.

I didn't really get a chance to watch it when it was first shown on PBS, but luckily the series was released on DVD almost immediately afterward, so I'm hoping to watch it in the next few weeks, time permitting.

Ken Burns has taken an important subject-World War II and has turned it into a vehicle to make an anti-war statement. This comes across continuously in all the episodes-focusing constantly on certain facets of the war to make his point. We know their was racism in the war, but do we need to be hit over the head constantly about it. We know their were mistakes made during the war that cost many Americans to lose their lives, but do we need to dwell on it. I think in the whole series, (which I've seen several times now), there was maybe one mention of a heroic act an American soldier may have performed. Just think, do you recall in this series any mention of our many Congressional Medal of Honor winners, and what they did to earn that award? The heroism our soldiers, sailors and airmen displayed during the War seems to be drowned out by his continual focus on aspects he feels will meet his political ends. Is there any real mention as to why we went to war? And, what we were really fighting for? A cursory discussion but not much more. Our country during World War II worked together for a common purpose as we never had before, yet this seems to be lost in Ken Burns continual diatribe to make his anti-war statement. The patriotism we felt during that war seems to be relegated to a minor discussion and mention in his series.

War is terrible, I know, and we lost too many people in the war, and too many people suffered, but Ken Burns takes only the ugly parts of war, and focuses all his efforts on that to make his anti-war statements. He has dishonored many veterans of World War II, by taking an important subject, and using it for his political ends.