Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

Your Favorite Mindbenders

11 posts in this topic

Audiences who'd rather not scratch their heads are best advised to stay away from this group of films, in which things are never quite what they seem. In the world of the mindbender, characters can exchange identities, chronological order can be reversed or corrupted, and dream sequences can effortlessly drift into reality. The pretzel logic on display in these movies may be hard to decipher, but it's sure to spur on hours of heated discussion once the credits roll.

So... what are your favorite "mindbenders"???

One of my favorites is Un Chien Andalou (1929), the legendary pre-code surrealist film from France.

I know people--people very close to me--who hate these films, but I love them. These might not be what you mean by the term--but they wouldn't fit my idea of good mindbenders, if they weren't also heart-crushers. I experienced an intense emotional reaction to all these movies at different times in my life--and I'm still trying to figure them out.

Vampyr 1932

Meshes Of The Afternoon (1943)

http://www.ubu.com/film/deren.html

The Innocents (1961)

if.... (1968)

Don't Look Now (1973)

3 Women (1977)

Pi (1998)

The Last of Sheila, a clever whodunnit.

Last Year At Marienbad, gorgeous to look at, but what's it about?

Memento, the entire story from back, forward

The Ox-Bow Incident, the story of mankind

I can think of two 1] Dead of Night 1945 --things aren't what they seem , all the people are reanacting the same dream over and over---thus there is no beginning and NO ending~

2] Invaders From Mars --young Jimmy Hunt has an awful nightmare, or is it ? Watching this

film is like living a nightmare--only because it has NO ending !

The 1953 INVADERS FROM MARS is a great child's nightmare movie that I STILL can't watch alone in the dark! (along w/MR. SARDONICUS, THE HAUNTING, CARNIVAL OF SOULS, DIABOLIQUE, THE EXORCIST, and HOMICIDAL)

I wish TCM would run DEAD OF NIGHT; haven't seen it in a long, long time; I recall it was quite unsettling.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Whoa..."Mr. Sardonicus." When Oskar Homolka is stuffing his face at the dinner table, while Mr. Sardonicus is stuffing his face...ugh! What an ending. Thanx for the reminder.

I'd have to go with "Vertigo." Judy/Madeleine, dead/NOT dead; suicide murder. And Kim Novak: Mmmmmm!

I would nominate Deborah Kerr's best performance in The Innocents--in this version you really

don't know if the children are really possesed---or is the governess slightly dotty?

I completely agree about THE INNOCENTS. I STILL don't know what was real and what wasn't.

Great choice, thistle.