Sign in to follow this  

What Star would you like to see a month devoted to?

320 posts in this topic

From what I've read on these boards (and there's a lot of topics about her) I think Deanna Durbin was a Universal property so her films are never (rarely?) shown on TCM.

Hi, brackenhe,

I was wondering if maybe that was why Deanna's films aren't shown much on TCM. I know they showed "It's A Date" a month or so ago, but only because they were showing a bunch of Kay Francis films. I didn't know there were any topics about Deanna on these boards (I'm still fairly new, and haven't really gone through the old threads). I'm so glad there are other Deanna fans here--I like her so much more than Judy Garland (no offense to Judy's fans!!!) and wish more attention would be paid to her.

harlow1085, there are some fabulous threads on Deanna here--do a search for her name. One writer called d120421 really knows a great deal about Durbin and her posts are extremely insightful.

Thank you so much, ayresorchids, for the suggestion! I hadn't realized there was a way to search the message boards. Unfortunately, it looks like people haven't responded to the Deanna threads for a while now, but I'm going to respons to one and hopefully people will start posting on them again!

Thanks again,

Carrie :-)

Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Charles Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Ginger Rogers, Kathryn Hepburn, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, John Wayne, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Claudette Colbert, Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Loretta Young. There's more but these are the few my tired brain can come up with. :) Sue

I would like to really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, LOVE TO SEE RICHARD BEYMER!! Beacuse i want to marry him!!! Even though he is like 100 years older than me.

I would also like to see Russ Tamblyn. because i want to be his sister-in-law!!!!

I doubt that TCM would have enough of anybody's films to show a full month of them without a lot of repeats. I think we'd be talking about 300 films. Besides, while it may be my favorite or yours, I think it would be a major "turnoff" for a lot of viewers. I just don't think it would work.

I would love to see a month devoted to Max von Sydow and or Liv Ullmann (They were in many films together). Ingmar Bergman utilized both of their talents on many of his films.Two of their films I really like are "The Immigrants" and "The New Land" (both out of print). Julie Christie is another actress that would be a great choice.

Without question The Gorgeous Virginia Bruce. It will never happen because she was relegated to the 'B' list on the MGM lot and she never rose any higher. TCM should have most (if not all) of her films and I've petitioned them on her behalf, but I doubt anything will ever come of it. Many times TCM will devote a day long tribute to a star on their birthday. To my knowledge, that's never happened with Virginia. What a crock. It's true that she didn't make many memorable films, but she made them memorable (for me anyway) merely by her luminous presence. What can I say, I'm completely enchanted by the woman.

nodgnoc, you never can tell whose birthday they will have on .TMC have had a Dickie Moores birthday and Peter Lorre and others that are mostly co-stars. I too would love to see a Virginia Bruce Day.So TCM programmer if you're listening,give us viewers a Miss Bruce day.

vallo

CONRAD NAGEL!!! I want a month filled with Conrad...God knows TCM has enough of his movies in their library. The same goes for Marion Davies. I want months or at least full days for both of them. Marion's birthday is in January so I'm hoping they'll at least do a birthday tribute if not an entire month.

My choice would have to be James Cagney. No one was more versitile or more watchable regardless of the role or fim. He always gave a great performance.

Maybe a nice change of pace would be Directors Of The Month. A month's worth of films by John Ford, William Wyler, Billy Wilder, Michael Curtiz and the less famous directors who churned stuff out all the time like Dieterle and W.S. Van Dyke, Borzage, etc. A lot of films may be known already but it might fun taking them in a different context.

I don't know what TCM has done in the past, but if I could program a year's worth of star months, I'd do:

Peter Sellers -- even in his bad movies, he's always fun to watch

Jean Simmons -- because watching her makes me blush and tittle

Abbott and Costello -- have they ever had co-stars of the month? this would be a real treat

Paul Newman -- the coolest actor in movie history

Margaret Lockwood -- does she have enough for a month? Maybe a week or a day, but I'd love to see something besides just The Lady Vanishes

Peter Ustinov -- I always have fun when Ustinov's in a movie

Jack Lemmon -- ditto

Rosalind Russell -- such a firecracker!

Ray Milland -- after The Uninvited and The Lost Weekend, I'm ready for lots more Milland

Boris Karloff -- he made so many B-movies into classics it's ridiculous

Bugs Bunny -- why not? Name a bigger star! Plus, the kids love him, I hear.

Marcello Mastroianni -- THE Italian classic movie star

Joe E. Brown ( duh! :0) )

Danny Kaye

Bob Hope

Barbara Stanwyck is a good one ( I haven't seen "Sorry, Wrong Number" for a while! )

Ward Bond

Charlton Heston

Charlie McCarthy and Edger Bergen I am not sure if they did enough movies to be a star of the month but I would love to see more of there movies! Not only do they make me laugh but also they worked with some great stars and held their own.

I agree with the Dana Andrews entry. I was pleased to learn that he attended the teaching college which is now Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas in his early years as I also attended that university.