Sign in to follow this  
jasta

Books

5 posts in this topic

Are there any books that have a complete list of precodes, with details on each one?

There are many pre-code movies books like Pre-Code Hollywood and Forbidden Hollywood,  but no book is going to have a 'complete' list. 

The main reason being is there isn't a agreed upon definition of a pre-code.   E.g.  some say every talking film,  regardless of genre,  made before July 1934 (when the Production Code started to be strictly enforced) are pre-code films.   

So what you're asking for is like asking for a complete list of noir films.     There is no such thing. 

• Like 1

I agree with what James said. No book will be complete. Most of them usually just focus on the major Hollywood studios, so output from Pathe, Tiffany and other lower rung studios will not be covered. And these books also tend to ignore British and Australian pictures from the same years.

• Like 1

Thanks. What book would contain information on the largest number of precode films 1929-1934? I have Precode Hollywood.

Thanks. What book would contain information on the largest number of precode films 1929-1934? I have Precode Hollywood.

I enjoyed reading this one:

screen-shot-2017-07-08-at-2-45-08-pm.png