Sign in to follow this  
MareyMac

The Lodger remake

3 posts in this topic

I didn't realize Ivor Novello was in a 1932 talkie remake of The Lodger called The Phantom Fiend. I started watching it on YouTube. He's a creepy musician with a weird foreign accent and comes off a bit like Lugosi. Has anyone watched it? Wondering if it's worth my time. I've seen the 1944 remake with Laird Cregar that I quite enjoyed.

post-36028-0-47754800-1499624421_thumb.jpg

post-36028-0-47754800-1499624421_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There's also this:

The premiere episode of the Suspense radio series, The Lodger, directed by Hitchcock and starring Hitchcock performers Herbert Marshall, Edmund Gwenn and "Alfred Hitchcock."

• Like 1

One way to avoid confusion is to NOT use the term 'remake' as it relates to subsequent versions of original source material.    I favor adaptation instead.    

With The Lodger,  the original source material were a novel by Marie Belloc Lowndes and a play,  Who Is He?, based on this novel and co-written by Belloc Lowndes.

Hitchcock used those two sources for his adaptation.    It is safe to assume subsequent versions, like the one in 1944 (my favorite due to the casting of Oberon, Sanders and especially Cregar),  had knowledge of ALL the prior source material (and again I do NOT mean just movie releases).  

I find that often people see what they call a 'remake' and believe the creators of said 'remake' only used the prior film version they have seen as their inspiration.     Instead I assume these creators uses the book or play as their primary source and NOT another 'canned' movie version.