Sign in to follow this  
Palmerin

The Obvious Question About LOST HORIZON:

73 posts in this topic

Kind of off topic here, but I wanted to add that I feel that most of ISABELLE JEWELL'S roles were undeveloped. In every film in which I've seen her (including the uncredited ones), I've wanted to see more of her character within the film.

FOR THE LONGEST TIME i thought she was an old lady, i mistook her name and prominence in the credits for one of the Dame Mae Whitty types in a film. When I discovered she was young and beautiful I was surprised.

PS- WAS Isabelle Jewell the one who went bonkers after the plane crash? who only had six months to live and couldn't wait to watch everyone else die slowly amid the frozen wreckage while laughing maniacally?

for some reason, whenever I travel, I always end up assigned to sit between her and the "YOU BROUGHT THE BIRDS HERE, YOU'RE EVIL" lady.

• Like 3

PS- WAS Isabelle Jewell the one who went bonkers after the plane crash? who only had six months to live and couldn't wait to watch everyone else die slowly amid the frozen wreckage while laughing maniacally?

for some reason, whenever I travel, I always end up assigned to sit between her and the "YOU BROUGHT THE BIRDS HERE, YOU'RE EVIL" lady.

Dang, I think I work with those two ladies! :P

• Like 1

The song, "If I Could Go Back", sung by Peter Finch, has also been restored, along with Liv Ullmann's follow-up to Finch's song "Where Knowledge Ends (Faith Begins).

Unfortunately, it's not Peter Finch singing on the soundtrack (sorry, Lorna).  He's dubbed by a guy named Jerry Whitman.  It's probably just as well with Liv not singing either.

I do love that the woman dubbing pregnant Olivia sounds a little out of breath in "The Things I Will Not Miss" number.  Very realistic for someone in her condition dancing around a library.

Only James Shigeta, Sally Kellerman and Bobby Van do their own singing in the movie.  

• Like 1

My favorite exchange in the 1937 version is when Isabel Jewell is coughing her head off and Thomas Mitchell says, " Would you like a cigarette?" Hysterical!

• Like 2

My favorite exchange in the 1937 version is when Isabel Jewell is coughing her head off and Thomas Mitchell says, " Would you like a cigarette?" Hysterical!

Back in the day, doctors recommended some brands of cigarettes as healthy.  My husband's mother was encouraged to smoke during pregnancy to keep from gaining excess weight.  In Shangri-La, people are still lighting up, and even Chang smokes a pipe!

Unfortunately, it's not Peter Finch singing on the soundtrack (sorry, Lorna).  He's dubbed by a guy named Jerry Whitman.  It's probably just as well with Liv not singing either. 

Thank you!  I had always thought it was Peter Finch making a bold attempt to carry a tune.  Makes you wonder even more about what Ross Hunter was attempting when even the performers hired for dubbing couldn't sing!

Thank goodness George Kennedy didn't have a number, I don't even want to imagine how he would have been dubbed! 

• Like 2

I do love that the woman dubbing pregnant Olivia sounds a little out of breath in "The Things I Will Not Miss" number.  Very realistic for someone in her condition dancing around a library.

Only James Shigeta, Sally Kellerman and Bobby Van do their own singing in the movie.  

Wow. I never knew that about Finch. The guy who sang for him really sounded like his speaking voice.

• Like 1

Hibi, Mr. Chang tells Conway that Margo arrived in 1888 when she was 20. We're told at the beginning of the movie that it's 1935, so that would make Margo actually pushing 70, not pushing 60. But your point is still well taken. They make it seem as if she's 247!

Yes! My math isnt what it used to be. I was figuring it again on Friday and realized she was a decade older, pushing 70, not 60! Even so, they made her look like pushing 170!  She looked like Sam Jaffe.

I wonder why she said she'd only been there 2 years? That part was never explained. Was she lying?

Yes, I agree completely.  I really wanted to see a lot more of Isabel's character and was surprised that she was basically forgotten once they arrived in in Shangri-La.  Guess her scenes must have been trimmed considerably from the final cut.  Sally Kellerman played the same part in the 1973 version and, dare I say it, her role was better developed over the course of the story.  You find out why she is so bitter in the beginning and witness her change into a far more contented character by the end.

I also thought Margo's character got a bit lost in the shuffle as well.  I hardly realized that she and George had gotten to know each other so well by the time they were leaving Shangri-La.  Really needed another scene or two in there to develop that relationship as well.  

Did I hear Ben M correctly in the intro, Capra's first edit of the movie was 6 hours long?  If there was that much footage then I'm surprised the movie made any sense at all running a little over 2 hours and 10 minutes.  

Yes, Sally's part was much more developed. I dont think she was suffering from some disease though. if I remember, she was a jaded, burned out journalist..........

• Like 1

Yes! My math isnt what it used to be. I was figuring it again on Friday and realized she was a decade older, pushing 70, not 60! Even so, they made her look like pushing 170!  She looked like Sam Jaffe.

I wonder why she said she'd only been there 2 years? That part was never explained. Was she lying?

Well, she certainly didn't want the younger Conway brother to know she'd been there for almost 50 years, right? Though she certainly could have said more than two.

Well, she certainly didn't want the younger Conway brother to know she'd been there for almost 50 years, right?

Why not? He might have been into older women.

Yes, Sally's part was much more developed. I dont think she was suffering from some disease though. if I remember, she was a jaded, burned out journalist..........

suddenly her narration of those HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH DRESSING commercials in the 1980's has a deeper meaning...

Hmmm...and besides, this film would be made decades before any kind of television reality program such as, say, The Real Housewives of Shangri-la would ever be thought of.

(...and where instead of older women seeking an eternal youthful look via some sort of mystic powers, they would now turn to their local friendly plastic surgeon in search of such a thing)

suddenly her narration of those HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH DRESSING commercials in the 1980's has a deeper meaning...

LOL. I'd forgotten about those..........

I thought once we saw Margo as an older woman out on the mountain trail she wasn't all that bad (if you like women that could pass for being 205, that is).

Okay, okay, the dead part was a turnoff, I admit.

would you like living in a place totally isolated from the world, where nobody and nothing ever change?

I myself would go plum crazy with all the boredom and the loneliness! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I'll say this, not if my female companion was Jane Wyatt who brings new meaning to the word boring. Even my mother hated her as Margaret Anderson on Father Knows Best and always said she hoped Jim Anderson would divorce Margaret and find a fun wife.

I'll say this, not if my female companion was Jane Wyatt who brings new meaning to the word boring. Even my mother hated her as Margaret Anderson on Father Knows Best and always said she hoped Jim Anderson would divorce Margaret and find a fun wife.

But are you suggesting that you could live in a "place totally isolated from the world, where nobody and nothing ever change" if your companion was,  say, Rita Hayworth,  Ava Gardner or Martha Vickers (from 1946) or Liz Taylor (1950)?     I could use to such a place as long as the food and drink were also first class.  ;)

As for Wyatt;  I assume you believe that even if she was pitchforked she would still be boring.

lost.jpg

Jane Wyatt was my favorite TV mom

"Cancelled by CBS before the first season had run its course, Father Knows Best was an early example of a show saved by the fans. By popular demand it returned for five more seasons, with Wyatt winning three Emmys as Best Actress in a Comedy and Young two as Best Actor. After its retirement, FKB was rerun in prime time on all three networks till 1967. It lingered in syndication for another few decades, and in the pop-cultural mind as a time capsule of '50s decency (if you liked the show) or white-bread smugness (if you didn’t). Springfield, Jim and Margaret’s home town, was so generically, maybe genetically, perfect that Matt Groening just had to use it as the site for his Simpsons, who in their bickering and perennial father-knows-worst scenarios qualify as the anti-Andersons."  Time magazine (October 24, 2006) 

On 7/17/2017 at 9:38 AM, Hibi said:

I think she said that she was curious about leaving to the outside world and knew she had to lie if she wanted to see it. She was just too curious and it ended up killing her.