Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Queer British Art Exhibition at Tate Britain

8 posts in this topic

Here in the UK, the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalization of homosexuality is being marked with a variety of events. Yesterday I went to a brilliant reading of Bent, with Russell Tovey in the lead role. Today I visited the Tate Britain, where there is a magnificent exhibition, Q ueer British Art 1861-1967. One of my favorite (and sadly, one of the most tragic) gay painters was the Pre-Raphaelite painter Simeon Solomon. Here is the caption that accompanies his self portrait:

"This delicate self portrait is by Simeon Solomon, an artist who explored themes of sexual ambiguity and same-sex desire in much of his work. He met Dante Gabriel Rossetti and was introduced to the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, becoming close friends with Edward Burne-Jones and poet-critic Algernon Charles Swinburne. His drawings were much admired and he exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1858 onwards. In 1873 he was arrested in a public urinal with George Roberts, a stableman, and was convicted of attempted b uggery and fined. Many friends abandoned him. He died in St. Giles Workhouse on 14 August 1905 at the age of 65."

​And today, on the TCM Board, I can't even use the word Q ueer without being censored!

N03410_10.jpg 

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/queer-british-art-1861-1967

• Like 2

Here in the UK, the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalization of homosexuality is being marked with a variety of events. Yesterday I went to a brilliant reading of Bent, with Russell Tovey in the lead role. Today I visited the Tate Britain, where there is a magnificent exhibition, Q ueer British Art 1861-1967. One of my favorite (and sadly, one of the most tragic) gay painters was the Pre-Raphaelite painter Simeon Solomon. Here is the caption that accompanies his self portrait:

"This delicate self portrait is by Simeon Solomon, an artist who explored themes of sexual ambiguity and same-sex desire in much of his work. He met Dante Gabriel Rossetti and was introduced to the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, becoming close friends with Edward Burne-Jones and poet-critic Algernon Charles Swinburne. His drawings were much admired and he exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1858 onwards. In 1873 he was arrested in a public urinal with George Roberts, a stableman, and was convicted of attempted b uggery and fined. Many friends abandoned him. He died in St. Giles Workhouse on 14 August 1905 at the age of 65."

​And today, on the TCM Board, I can't even use the word Q ueer without being censored!

N03410_10.jpg 

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/queer-british-art-1861-1967

Sounds fascinating, is there a biography on him?

• Like 1

Wikipedia has a few suggestions, I'm going to look into them. I know Simeon Solomon's work from Pre-Raphaelite exhibitions here in London; and from reading articles about him. But I would like to read a proper biography. 

Here's his painting entitled "Bacchus," which is one of several of his works in the current exhibition. 

BRM_BMAG_1961_P52.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Swithin

I was able to edit the title for you, and allow the word to be used :)

• Like 1

Wikipedia has a few suggestions, I'm going to look into them. I know Simeon Solomon's work from Pre-Raphaelite exhibitions here in London; and from reading articles about him. But I would like to read a proper biography. 

Here's his painting entitled "Bacchus," which is one of several of his works in the current exhibition. 

BRM_BMAG_1961_P52.jpg

He's obviously a very talented man!

They are doing a similar show at The Prado in Spain

Nice visuals but the video has an annoying music track

• Like 1

Hi Swithin

Thanks so much! 

Btw, right next to a portrait of Oscar Wilde, they have the actual door from his cell in Reading Gaol.

Queer-British-Art-Tate-Britain-The-Upcom

• Like 3

Hi Swithin

"Queer" is definitely a part of the everyday vocabulary.