Sign in to follow this  
Michael Linehan

Hitchcock Books

5 posts in this topic

I was looking through the Course Bibliography today and found that it contained my two favorite books on Hitchcock that I have in my collection and I highly recommend them.

McGilligan, Patrick. Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light (ReganBooks, 2003)

Truffaut, Francois, with collaboration of Helen G. Scott. Hitchcock/Truffaut. Revised Edition (Touchstone Book, 1985P

I don't think you'll find any better ones out there than these two. They both enhance the viewing experience for the films.

• Like 1

I'm most familiar with Donald Spoto's two books, both or which are superb IMO.

I read The Dark Side of Genius years ago. Enjoyed it greatly at the time, but since, I have come to wonder how much it belongs on the same shelf as the works of Albert Goldman.

What I was pleased to find in the bibliography was Tania Modelski's The Women Who Knew Too Much: Hitchcock and Feminist Theory, a great book that doesn't seem to get mentioned often, in my experience.

I have a hardcover of "Hitchcock at Work", fully illustrated with film stills, shots taken on set, storyboards and annotated film scripts

• Like 2

I'm in the process of reading McGilligan's bio right now, and it is amazingly detailed, like a behind-the-scenes look at the making of each of Hitch's films.

I also found a copy of one of Donald Spoto's books at a used bookstore in Jacksonville, FL, and I just realized that it's an autographed copy :-O (by Spoto, not Hitchcock, lol)

• Like 1