Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

5,165 posts in this topic

Kyle, hi,

I recently bought some, original, posters and lobby cards from the 40's and I don't know how you are doing what you are doing, but would you like me to try scanning them in and then over to you?

addie

HI ADDIE -

Thanks for the offer of you scans but I have more than enough images to last 'til the end of the year. But you might want to scan your recent acquisitions and post them yourself in the Forums. I bet there are many folks that would be happy to see them.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Addie -- FrankGrimes-- In your post you mention that you are someone who loves classic film posters.

I do, I do! I find the artwork to be fascinating and the ad pitch to be interesting.

--I love classic movies and and I love many kinds of art and as my mother like to point out, I had a very expensive education, how did I miss the boat on these posters?

I guess one could argue that classic film poster art isn't considered "true" art since it's advertising. I just think anything creative can be viewed as "art."

--and is it Lewton produced specifically or low budget, greatness in general, because if it is low budget greatness, I recommend "Project Moonbase". It is one of the best!

If you lean toward monsters like in last night's movies, "Santa conquers the martians" is sensational!

I have a soft spot for low-budget efforts, especially the ones that are done with care. It sounds like you and BronxGirl would really hit it off if you like films like Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Hi, Kyle -- Thanks again for the Lewton posters. I enjoyed each and every one of them.

Please, please oh please-do you have one for Footlight Parade? One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite movies with Cagney, and there are at least two more Wednesdays in January! :)

"Please, please oh please-do you have one for Footlight Parade? One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite movies with Cagney, and there are at least two more Wednesdays in January!" - Minya

Well, I already have the remaining Wednesdays planned out. And this wasn't planned for this month. But since you asked so nicely...

For Thursday January 17th -

film_posterJan16b

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

CSO is right, I had convinced myself these ladies were just in something sheer, but CSO is right.

Frank Mchugh should have been naked on that poster too, not just the women! Well, I can dream.

This movie was pretty racy all around, there was a curse uttered, outright and an obvious, almost calling of someone a curse word, the "B" one. I don't think anyone went as far as using the word "pregnant," however, thank goodness! hee-hee.

Now I didn't mean to be prudish, it sorta slipped out, but I just don't recall Ruby Keeler or Joan Blondell in any remotely like pose in the whole movie. In my opinion, the characters in this poster only suggest Joan and Ruby. I think they might have had something to say about it otherwise. Maybe I am an attitude in search of evidence, but I think the male carictures are closer to resembling the male leads. I had to shake my pre-code eyeballs on this one.

And Frank McHugh, what a cutie . . . I love his little sing song laugh . . .what a fetching cupie he would of made.

Well, they aren't totally nude . . . they are wearing dancing shoes. Don't try this at home!

CSO-

--Your post was great, it was funny.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I was not getting on you, I was making fun of the Hayes Code and when I said I had convinced myself the ladies were in something sheer, that was making fun of my own prudishness.

Sometimes I forget that the nuances in tone are completely lost over the internet.

We cool? I hope so.

addie

Message was edited by: ADDIE

oh I didn't perceive your comment that way at all. I have what I call Social Tourette's and I sometime say the first thing that pops in my head. I always thought that I considered myself a citizen of the world, shall we say, but the older I get, the more I'm turning into my mother. (Sigh)

CSO--

I'm glad we are okay.

you know who's fault our misunderstanding was, don't you?

minya's.

minya asked for the poster that started our misunderstanding.

I don't think Kyle was in on it, he seems pretty decent.

I think minya is one of those instigators.

:o)

Addie

I'm shocked, SHOCKED by that allegation! I've never instigated anything in my WHOLE life. EVER. Ask.....well, ask someone who doesn't know me and I'll bet a million dollars that they'd say it's almost certain that I'd probably never instigate something. Unless provoked. :)

I'm surprised and delighted by the scandalous talk that has resulted from the posting of the Footlight Parade poster-and to be perfectly honest, I didn't realize that they were kinda **** until someone else pointed it out. Hilarious!

Minya, lol --okay, your off the hook, you're welcome.

really,I'm glad you asked for the poster and that Kyle had it. I cannot get used to what all went on before "Hayes" and how much was lost because of its enforcement.

CSO, honestly, honestly, I'm not so nice and I didn't censure anything just to not offend.

If you are hard on me though you might make me cry. lol

I'm glad I asked for it too-I'm having a lot of fun with the responses! And it is fascinating to see what what on pre-code and how it compares with the censors now. While in many ways anything goes in films these days, there are still times when I think the censors are way more strict now- more than anything in the Hayes code.

I wanted to stay home and watch this one! I gotta get me TIVO. John Garfield sends me!

CSO -

Sorry you are missing Body And Soul. Hopefully it is going into a more frequent rotation on TCM and shows up again soon.

Snorky -

Happy to know I found an image "new" to you. I think it is Swedish but unsure. Any idea what language would spell 'masterwork" as "masterwerk" with a little circle above the letter "a"?

Kyle In Hollywood

Don't know but that silhouette has a real Frankart look to it which

was popular at the time - I love it!

Hi MINYA,

Hayes was much stricter, than now. I saw "Detective Story" many times when I was young, but it was not until I was in my 20s, maybe late 20s that I realized that George Mcready was a doctor performing abortions. I knew what "young girls in trouble" meant,

but after that I was lost. Something about not being able to go to one's parents, and the doctor's kitchen and the girls ending up in the hospital and some of them dying because he was a butcher.

As a kid I think I guessed he was using dirty instruments, but I was not sure.

They could not even say "ending the pregnancy", nothing, no hint.

Nowadays, we would see the whole procedure. Two extreme stupid, non-artistic extremes.

---MINYA, what do you see as being strickely censored now?

Actually, language on TV still is isn't it? what else?

----That is not a challenge, I'm curious.

Addie

Message was edited by: ADDIE