Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

5,165 posts in this topic

Obviously the ratings system is not as strict in that say, a married couple in a movie can sleep in the same bed, but maybe more in terms of general terms of political correctness controlling movie content.

Films post Hayes, featuring something like, to use your example (kind of :))an abortion, or anything alluding to it either would not have been made or considered so scandalous that they would have gone pretty much undergound. As you say, these days you can see the whole procedure start to finish and no one really blinks an eye-I think part of that is in this era that's a legal procedure so it doesn't have the shock factor and in the thirties and forties it wasn't and only 'young girls in trouble' crept to back alleys to get it done. It was **** moralizing shrouded as warning to a free wheeling society, but in that era all these activities weren't considered common place. This is being very poorly explained, but nuances don't always come across the net. I aplogize. :)

Anyway, today when we see more and events are less shocking, studios are prepared to give very restrictive ratings to a movie because someone is smoking, which is something I find pretty ridiculous. People smoke. They shouldn't but they do and to deny this is just stupid in the extreme, and to censor a movie because an action is portrayed that is realistic and and suitable for the content ( a movie set in almost anytime but now - I remember the freak out that happened because EVERYONE smoked in Good Night and Good Luck) is just the kind of PC prudishness that sends me right up the wall. To use your phrase, because it was dead on-two extreme, stupid non-artistic extremes.

It's moralizing on both ends, but it seems like now the censors are ready to jump on almost anything, whereas post Hayes was meant to kind of cover what they considered to be the big bad problems. Does any of this make sense?

I think of the Thin Man-I love this movie, and I thought it was hilarious that so many scenes in the first movie had them having parties with a lot of drunk ne'er do wells. I'm not so sure you could have a movie like that now without having Nick Charles learn his lesson in ninety minutes about the evils of martini drinking and sticking in a side story about a dark part of his past and an alcoholic he once knew. The Charles' enjoyed life and each other. Granted, the drinking thing did come up as a storyline by the later movies, but it still didn't overshadow the detective work.

One last apology for being so wordy-I really should have written the whole thing out before posting-it's just always nice to have intelligent conversation with fellow movie freaks.

Message was edited by: Minya

Minya- I get that, the political correctness has gone mad.

First language was too much one way, now it is the other--

Although, I was smoking at about 9yrs of age, trying to be like Bette Davis, her drinking never pulled me though.

--For some reason all of that drinking in the "The Thin Man", extreme, though it is, seems OK, those two are just so charming, in those movies they are not neglecting responsibilities or drinking from depression, maybe that is why it seems alright.

--Actually teaching a kid how to read a racing form is not so responsible- happilly, Nick is sober, at least, when he is doing that :o)

Speaking of political in-correctness, Kyle put up an amazing poster early on, for a movie called " A warriors Faith", with two native Americans, in full native regalia, feathers and everything, looking calm and content and serious in their Christianity, holding a big Christian cross and one of them is looking up to the sky, like to God or something.

It tells you something or confirms something about the attitude in society this movie was released to in 1912 but It's very nicely done.

--I love these posters, Kyle!

Thank you again for sharing these posters. And to "minya" and "addie". Remember that society/ our culture (including ourselves) is constantly changing. In 1966, when I was a twenty-something wearing a funny green suit and wandering through scenic southeast asia, I would have been happy to be informed that in 30 years I would have a son and a daughter attending college. My reaction to the additional information that "your son will wear an ear ring and you daughter will have a tattoo" would have been rather violent, to say the least....But, as I said, as time passes we see things differently. Modern movies have sex, foul language, and violence. But they forbid smoking or drinking . Who knows what will be allowed / forbidden when my granddaughter is my age.

Message was edited by: OldPackard

oldpackard--I agree, there is an ebb and flow all of the time, which is comforting to know.

Hopefully this kind of thing has ebbed-i just read an interview James Cagey gave, in his 70s, he said once a censor person came to the set, from out of state, to speak to him about toning down his characters violence, in that particular movie, there was another actor playing a pretty violent character as well, but she said she did not have a problem with him because as violent has she was his came across as more likeable to her, he made the audience laugh at some point. I hope Cagney punched her.

re the censor . . .

no, but a grapefruit in the kisser might have been appropriated

KISS UP! And you couldn't have picked a worse Gary Cooper poster to upload, either. Along Came Jones?! Kyle, I don't think there is one member on this board who LOVES that film. ;)

I really liked the Hallelujah! poster. I love the design and colors of that one. I also enjoyed the Rio Grande poster. It almost makes me want to watch the film. Almost.

FYI, I think you just may have made a sick girl's day. ;) That is, if she clicks on this thread, like I frequently do.

"KISS UP!"[/b] - FrankGrimes

Oh, heck. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

I chose the poster for Along Came Jones because I had never seen a film poster using a Norman Rockwell image before. I found it unique for that reason alone. I also had nothing special or apropos to post for today so I thought I'd reward the most popular thread in these Forums.

Glad you also liked the Hallelujah! poster. I find it very inspiring. (I have a second Hallelujah! poster in reserve for another occasion.) And what have you got against Rio Grande? Better be careful or you could end up being cold-shouldered by 'lzcutter'.

I hoped some of the "Gary Cooper Fans" would catch sight of the poster but they all seem to be out today. The thread is off the front page of "Your Favorites" ffor the first time in my memory.

And best wishes to whoever is ailing.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Kylefornia! -- Oh, heck. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

I'm sure. This thread is all about "you ain't seen nothin' yet."

I chose the poster for Along Came Jones because I had never seen a film poster using a Norman Rockwell image before. I found it unique for that reason alone. I also had nothing special or apropos to post for today so I thought I'd reward the most popular thread in these Forums.

It's a brilliant poster, Kyle. That's called a, "kiss up." :) Okay, I actually do like it a lot.

Glad you also liked the Hallelujah! poster. I find it very inspiring. (I have a second Hallelujah! poster in reserve for another occasion.)

Excellent!

And what have you got against Rio Grande? Better be careful or you could end up being cold-shouldered by 'lzcutter'.

Why would Lynn give me the cold shoulder? Don't tell me she likes Irish B-film directors, too. :P

I hoped some of the "Gary Cooper Fans" would catch sight of the poster but they all seem to be out today.

Out today? Kyle, my friend, they are "out" EVERY day.

The thread is off the front page of "Your Favorites" ffor the first time in my memory.

I know. I wish one of the Coop gals would talk about one of Gary's films.

And best wishes to whoever is ailing.

Let's just say that Greer's Tea Party had some spiked Texas tea. And whoever made the Devil's food cake from scratch seemed to go heavy on the wolfbane this time.

I look forward to your next poster.

KYLIE!!!!: My very belated thanx for: various GARY COOPER gorgeousness and divine images from the "irish b-movie director" JOHN MARTIN FEENEY, heaven rest him.

Another that really jumped out at me was the first one of Buck Jones, a new cowpoke for my "stable".

Big KISS (not "kiss up") to you, dahlink for all the pretty, pretty pictures!!!

mmblowingkissesanimation.gif

Hi, Kyle! -- The Woman in the Window! The best poster you have posted yet! And the poster even shows dripping blood. I just love buckets of blood and psychos.

Of course, your posting today is not a shameful kiss-up at all. Your choice of a Lang film is purely a sign of your vastly improving tastes, Kyle. I thank you for that.

Hey, ButtersweetGreer! -- Miley looks a lot like "Daisy Duke" (Catherine Bach) in that photo.

Hola, Irish B-Film Goddess -- Another that really jumped out at me was the first one of Buck Jones, a new cowpoke for my "stable".

That stable of yours is quite FULL.

"The best poster you have posted yet! - FrankGrimes

That was the biggest, wettest slobbering "KissUp" I could find. I hope you enjoyed it as I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

Kyle (feeling so ashamed) In Hollywood

That was the biggest, wettest slobbering "KissUp" I could find. I hope you enjoyed it as I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

A one-night stand! Was it good for you?

Kyle (feeling so ashamed) In Hollywood

And well you should be.