kjrwe

Two favourite Walt Disney films from the sixties

21 posts in this topic

There are two Disney films from the sixties which I really enjoy:

The Parent Trap

and

That Darn Cat.

Any other fans of these two films? A big thanks to Hayley Mills (star of both movies) for doing such a great job, especially at playing two characters in The Parent Trap.

I LOVE The Parent Trap. I was very young when I first watched it, but it continued to be a staple in my household haha. I think my all-time favorite Hayley Mills one was Pollyanna (1960). I was a little obsessed lol. I just realized last year after doing some research, that along with Parent Trap, Pollyanna, That Darn Cat, Hayley also did Summer Magic, In Search of the Castaways, and Moon-Spinners for Disney in the 60s as well. Busy kid.

101 DALMATIANS and THE LOVE BUG. The latter is especially fun, being made after Uncle Walt's death and the studio was trying its best to be contemporary of the changing times. Note that Buddy Hackett's character had just been to Nepal like the Fab Four and he is the first who can communicate with a "Beetle".

I saw Pollyanna as a kid, and again a few years ago. It's a nice movie, but I admit that it didn't stick much with me. I haven't heard of those other Disney films featuring Hayley Mills. I should check them out. Hopefully they're as good as The Parent Trap and That Darn Cat.

I saw 101 Dalmations as a kid and enjoyed it. A number of the classic animated Disney films had theatrical releases in the eighties and my parents took me and my siblings to see those movies. 101 Dalmations was one of those.

I LOVE The Parent Trap. I was very young when I first watched it, but it continued to be a staple in my household haha. I think my all-time favorite Hayley Mills one was Pollyanna (1960). I was a little obsessed lol. I just realized last year after doing some research, that along with Parent Trap, Pollyanna, That Darn Cat, Hayley also did Summer Magic, In Search of the Castaways, and Moon-Spinners for Disney in the 60s as well. Busy kid.

In Search of the Castaways was one of my favorites as a kid. Haven't see it in ages!

My favorites are The Parent Trap and Summer Magic.  Like everyone else here on this thread, I was/am a big fan of Hayley Mills and enjoyed her films very much.  I think I rented all of them from the video store at one point.  I used to own The Parent Trap on VHS.  Now I have it on DVD.  I also have Pollyanna, Summer Magic, That Darn Cat! and In Search of the Castaways.  I haven't seen The Moonspinners in forever. I just got a copy of it put on hold for me at the library.  I know what I'm doing tonight!

I also found The Ugly Dachshund charming in its own way--though I prefer Hayley's films. 

I've been wanting to see Swiss Family Robinson, but I haven't gotten a chance yet. 

I know it's from 1958/1959, but I cannot bring myself to watch Old Yeller.  I know how it ends and sad animal movies just rip my heart out.

I know it's from 1958/1959, but I cannot bring myself to watch Old Yeller.  I know how it ends and sad animal movies just rip my heart out.

The only time I've seen Old Yeller was in grade one (early eighties). We were shown it on the last day of school or something. I remember that the ending really scared me. I was probably crying at home later (or trying not to cry).

Best animation: The Jungle Book, partly for the songs.

Best live action: Pollyanna, for the uplifting story and good character acting.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 8:23 AM, speedracer5 said:

My favorites are The Parent Trap and Summer Magic.  Like everyone else here on this thread, I was/am a big fan of Hayley Mills and enjoyed her films very much.  I think I rented all of them from the video store at one point.  I used to own The Parent Trap on VHS.  Now I have it on DVD.  I also have Pollyanna, Summer Magic, That Darn Cat! and In Search of the Castaways.  I haven't seen The Moonspinners in forever. I just got a copy of it put on hold for me at the library.  I know what I'm doing tonight!

I also found The Ugly Dachshund charming in its own way--though I prefer Hayley's films. 

I've been wanting to see Swiss Family Robinson, but I haven't gotten a chance yet. 

I remember my dad showing me Swiss Family Robinson when I was probably about 5 or 6 years old. I actually really enjoyed it. 

A few others just came to mind:

1. Mary Poppins (1964) is one of my all-time favorite Disney movies. Julie Andrews is a Queen. The Sherman Brothers' music is fantastic.  

2. The Ugly Dachsund (1966): I watch this one all the time! I think part of the reason I love it so much, is because my dad's side of the family has had dachshunds for forever, and the other reason I like it, is because I enjoy Dean Jones & Suzanne Pleshette. 

• Like 1

I just borrowed The Three Lives of Thomasina from the library.  I've never seen this film.  I've heard a lot about it and look forward to seeing it.

On Sunday, after this discussion about Hayley Mills, I ended up having a Hayley double-feature and watched The Moon-Spinners and Summer Magic.  Such fun.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:18 AM, speedracer5 said:

I just borrowed The Three Lives of Thomasina from the library.  I've never seen this film.  I've heard a lot about it and look forward to seeing it.

On Sunday, after this discussion about Hayley Mills, I ended up having a Hayley double-feature and watched The Moon-Spinners and Summer Magic.  Such fun.

I still need to watch "Three Lives." I've made a goal for myself to watch as many Disney films as possible in my lifetime. There are tons of live-action films from the 1950s-1980s that I've either never heard of, or haven't been able to get my hands on. It amazes me just how different the formula for live-action movies is nowadays. The movies from the 20th century were either based off of books or were comprised of original ideas, and the ones now are simply lukewarm remakes surrounded by the best marketing money can buy, and a hint of nostalgia that ultimately is the driving force in urging people to go see said remakes in theaters. (no offense, Disney, I still love you, I'm just in a prickly mood today). 

For some reason, I wasn't able to get into "Moon Spinners." Maybe I'll give it another try one of these days. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, folks! I was reading the responses, but not while logged on. I was waiting for the annoying glitches to be fixed on this site (and they were fixed).

I see a few Hayley Mills titles listed which I need to see.

• Like 1

Wow-talk about CULT films.

I was ENTRANCED by THE PARENT TRAP.

Obsessed. etc. Shouldn't we all have parents so rich they could have a row house in Boston and a ranch in Carmel California, and be able to send us to an exclusive Girl's summer camp?

Shouldn't there be sympathetic family servants in both homes, to relieve us of kids' chores?

Shouldn't that be on all our wish-lists.?

(Not to mention an escapist vacation in GREECE, as in MOON-SPINNERS!)

If we could ALL have cute wardrobes, relatives that took us on trips, and gorgeous long blonde hair!MV5BMTA2Njk5ZTEtMjE5ZC00M2FhLTkyYWQtMDIyOTBkMWFhYmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@__V1_.jpg.219d6fda7af7315d41bb532f45b7d6de.jpg

Hayley Mills also EXPLODED on the American scene as a star.

Darned tough on her father, to see his adorable teen daughter bigger than he was for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

Was Hayley Mills' father upset that she was more popular than he was in the sixties?

For me, I like the first part of The Parent Trap the best - all those girls in early sixties dresses, the dance sequence with the teens doing the popular dance of the time, etc. The movie does get weaker once the parents bump into each other again.

My impression (vague that it is) of John Mills is that he clawed his way into British film stardom the hard way.

Not an easy task in the 1940's and 1950's, with competition like John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness, etc.

To see his younger daughter become a worldwide DISNEY star must have left him STUNNED.

1 minute ago, papyrusbeetle said:

My impression (vague that it is) of John Mills is that he clawed his way into British film stardom the hard way.

Not an easy task in the 1940's and 1950's, with competition like John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness, etc.

To see his younger daughter become a worldwide DISNEY star must have left him STUNNED.

From what I read John was proud and happy with his daughter's success.     

I loved "The Parent Trap" as a child, especially the strange ranch/hacienda owned by Brian Keith's character. As a boy, I remember being very disappointed to learn the home didn't exist as an actual location and was built on a sound stage. Definitely great set design. (In later years, I stumbled across several interesting blog posts on the subject with screenshots. Apparently other people are fascinated by that "dream" house too.)

I've read John Mills' fantastic autobiography and he came across as very proud of his own career and the successful acting careers of his daughters. It was John himself who encouraged his children to try small parts in his movies to start with. Hayley is exceptional, and a fantastic role model for all of us. I think Juliet just wasn't quite as interested-acting is a tough career.

Before feeling slighted that we may not be as beautiful or privileged as the roles portrayed by Haley, instead, view it as an aspiration.

The role models for kids these days is wearing dull unstylish clothing, mumbling profanities, taking no responsibility, etc. Hayley's charactors showed maturity, conviction and action. Looking nice, good grooming shows respect for yourself & others....a concept that's "too much trouble" for many these days.

I agree, my favorite Disney films of the 60's were MARY POPPINS & THE PARENT TRAP...both have aged very well. For animation, I just love THE JUNGLE BOOK, for the atmosphere and especially the songs (anyone hear LosLobos version of the MONKEY SONG? Fantastic!)

The great thing about Disney movies is they appealed to kids and adults alike. What a great introduction & inspiration for getting interested in classic film- I was so surprised to see Charlie Ruggles, Elsa Lanchester in "old" movies!
  • Like 1