TopBilled

Anthony Perkins as SOTM October 2017

40 posts in this topic

I'm surprised we haven't found out by now. I am wondering if they're going to do another group one, like the character actors, covering an assortment of horror stars. It might be a way to finally honor Bela Lugosi around Halloween.

Last October the honoree was Christopher Lee. I suppose they could go with Peter Cushing this time around.

I'll update the thread title when we get word.

I'm surprised we haven't found out by now. I am wondering if they're going to do another group one, like the character actors, covering an assortment of horror stars. It might be a way to finally honor Bela Lugosi around Halloween.

Last October the honoree was Christopher Lee. I suppose they could go with Peter Cushing this time around.

I'll update the thread title when we get word.

I'd be okay with Peter Cushing. I haven't seen many of his movies (other than Star Wars, which I doubt they'll show), so SOTM would be a nice way of getting to know him.

TopBilled, you and I mentioned this in another thread months ago, but Anthony Perkins would be a good choice for SOTM in October. The last night should be on Halloween, (which falls on a Tuesday this year) and Psycho should be played on Halloween. What can be better than watching Norman Bates while eating too much Halloween candy on Halloween night?

• Like 1

I'd be okay with Peter Cushing. I haven't seen many of his movies (other than Star Wars, which I doubt they'll show), so SOTM would be a nice way of getting to know him.

TopBilled, you and I mentioned this in another thread months ago, but Anthony Perkins would be a good choice for SOTM in October. The last night should be on Halloween, (which falls on a Tuesday this year) and Psycho should be played on Halloween. What can be better than watching Norman Bates while eating too much Halloween candy on Halloween night?

I always eat Chicken, Quail,  Pheasant or some other type of fowl when watching Psycho.

• Like 1

Yes, Tony Perkins would be an excellent choice. They could show the original PSYCHO and the sequels that were made in the 80s. He was in all of them.

One that's been frequently requested, and as far as I know has never been SOTM, is Bela Lugosi.

• Like 2

Yes, Tony Perkins would be an excellent choice. They could show the original PSYCHO and the sequels that were made in the 80s. He was in all of them.

Oh, I absolutely agree. There could only be one reason for Tony not being chosen because not many of his films are in the TCM library. Tony has also never been selected for SUTS either, so I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

Oh, I absolutely agree. There could only be one reason for Tony not being chosen because not many of his films are in the TCM library. Tony has also never been selected for SUTS either, so I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

Yes, probably because many of his films are owned by Paramount and Universal. But he did make ones at other studios, plus a fair number of independent European films. He should at least have a SUTS day.

I should also point out that looking over previous SOTM honorees, TCM does not always select a horror star in October. 

Why does the SOTM for October have to be an actor associated with horror films?  I swear, this has only been the case in recent years.  It is so limiting!  I'd much prefer the selection of an interesting and deserving actor/actress who has had nothing to do with horror. Clearly, TCM is going to air horror films in October.  Why do they have to "double up" and make both the Spotlight and the SOTM "horror-centric?"

• Like 1

Why does the SOTM for October have to be an actor associated with horror films?  I swear, this has only been the case in recent years.  It is so limiting!  I'd much prefer the selection of an interesting and deserving actor/actress who has had nothing to do with horror. Clearly, TCM is going to air horror films in October.  Why do they have to "double up" and make both the Spotlight and the SOTM "horror-centric?"

I agree with this. But I think the reason they do it is because it's easier to market if they make a lot of the October programming focused on the horror genre including the SOTM. Like December focuses primarily on the Christmas holidays.

They can still provide a bit of variety by doing a spotlight on something unrelated to horror. In years past we had the Jewish image series and the spotlight on women in film.

I agree with this. But I think the reason they do it is because it's easier to market if they make a lot of the October programming focused on the horror genre including the SOTM. Like December focuses primarily on the Christmas holidays.

They can still provide a bit of variety by doing a spotlight on something unrelated to horror. In years past we had the Jewish image series and the spotlight on women in film.

Hey, I get it.  But they could still "Spotlight" Horror even if they had a non-horror SOTM.  Seems to me that it would give them more to market, not less.  Different strokes for different folks . . . The way it's currently handled we get a double dose of horror whether you like it or not.  Also, severely limits the SOTM choices for October.

Hey, I get it.  But they could still "Spotlight" Horror even if they had a non-horror SOTM.  Seems to me that it would give them more to market, not less.  Different strokes for different folks . . . The way it's currently handled we get a double dose of horror whether you like it or not.  Also, severely limits the SOTM choices for October.

That's why I suggested Tony Perkins. It's true he did do some horror films. But the majority of his films, like On The Beach and Desire Under The Elms, aren't. If Tony is chosen (but this is doubtful), Halloween itself could be devoted to his horror movies, and the rest of the month could be his non horror movies. Everyone wins this way.

It is also pathetic how Tony constantly gets ignored. Tony has never had a SUTS day while people like Judy Garland and John Wayne have a SUTS day every other year. Sad, but true.

• Like 1

That's why I suggested Tony Perkins. It's true he did do some horror films. But the majority of his films, like On The Beach and Desire Under The Elms, aren't. If Tony is chosen (but this is doubtful), Halloween itself could be devoted to his horror movies, and the rest of the month could be his non horror movies. Everyone wins this way.

It is also pathetic how Tony constantly gets ignored. Tony has never had a SUTS day while people like Judy Garland and John Wayne have a SUTS day every other year. Sad, but true.

I like the idea of Perkins as SOTM.    A lot can depend on who has the copyrights to those films.   E.g. for  films in the Turner library leasing these films is a straight forward process,  but otherwise this can be the main reason why an actor has never been selected as SOTM;  e.g. Bando and Monroe.

I like the idea of Perkins as SOTM.    A lot can depend on who has the copyrights to those films.   E.g. for  films in the Turner library leasing these films is a straight forward process,  but otherwise this can be the main reason why an actor has never been selected as SOTM;  e.g. Bando and Monroe.

There seems to be a pattern if you go back through old TCM programming notes. They usually feature someone in a primetime spotlight (which Perkins has had); then they get a SUTS tribute; then eventually a turn as SOTM. We saw this with Shirley Temple, despite the fact a lot of films were at Fox. And I am hopeful that since George Sanders had a primetime tribute and is now part of SUTS in August that he will be a SOTM before the end of the decade.

So for Perkins, we have to push for him to get a day in August. Then the rest can follow.

• Like 1

There seems to be a pattern if you go back through old TCM programming notes. They usually feature someone in a primetime spotlight (which Perkins has had); then they get a SUTS tribute; then eventually a turn as SOTM. We saw this with Shirley Temple, despite the fact a lot of films were at Fox. And I am hopeful that since George Sanders had a primetime tribute and is now part of SUTS in August that he will be a SOTM before the end of the decade.

So for Perkins, we have to push for him to get a day in August. Then the rest can follow.

I hope you are right about George Sanders finally getting to be SOTM sometime soon.  This is long overdue!!! 

• Like 1

I hope you are right about George Sanders finally getting to be SOTM sometime soon.  This is long overdue!!! 

Watch, George Sanders IS SOTM. That would really be something.

• Like 1

The only SOTM I can think of that has never been honored for SUTS is Robert Young. His time as SOTM was back in '95, three years before he passed away. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

I have "pushing" (more like suggesting) for Tony Perkins to get a SUTS day. The closest Tony has been honored on TCM (and not constantly being ignored as usual) is a primetime spotlight and a birthday tribute (April 4th is Tony's birthday) that lasts 14 hours.

Believe me, we're not the only ones "pushing" for a Tony Perkins SUTS day. Tab Hunter probably is, too. ;)

Watch, George Sanders IS SOTM. That would really be something.

Well he did make a few horror films. LOL But since he's receiving a SUTS day in late August, I don't think they'll make him SOTM just yet.

I didn't realize Robert Young never had a SUTS tribute. That's interesting. Eighty percent of his film output was at Metro, meaning it's in the TCM library. He's an easy one for them to give a 24 hour retrospective or to repeat as SOTM, especially since his last turn was over twenty years ago.

I didn't realize Robert Young never had a SUTS tribute. That's interesting. Eighty percent of his film output was at Metro, meaning it's in the TCM library. He's an easy one for them to give a 24 hour retrospective or to repeat as SOTM, especially since his last turn was over twenty years ago.

Poor Robert Young gets no respect!!  I think he was SOTM way back in the early, early days of TCM but no significant salutes since then.  I'd rather see his films than a lot of other stars (the non-stop Esther Williams tributes come to mind) and he should definitely be a SUTS designee one of these days. Perhaps they could skip John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn just once????

• Like 1

Poor Robert Young gets no respect!!  I think he was SOTM way back in the early, early days of TCM but no significant salutes since then.  I'd rather see his films than a lot of other stars (the non-stop Esther Williams tributes come to mind) and he should definitely be a SUTS designee one of these days. Perhaps they could skip John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn just once????

You are correct. Robert Young was SOTM in 1995.

After watching TCM awhile, I've noticed certain stars get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter while others get no love at all. I was actually shocked Robert Young never got honored with a SUTS day. (Like you, I'd like to see Young's films, which he made before starring on Father Knows Best.) What's worse is Young has never had a birthday tribute on TCM because his birthday falls during 31 Days of Oscar. (His birthday is February 22nd.) The "popular kids" (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc) of TCM should move aside once in awhile.

• Like 1

After watching TCM awhile, I've noticed certain stars get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter while others get no love at all. I was actually shocked Robert Young never got honored with a SUTS day. (Like you, I'd like to see Young's films, which he made before starring on Father Knows Best.) What's worse is Young has never had a birthday tribute on TCM because his birthday falls during 31 Days of Oscar. (His birthday is February 22nd.) The "popular kids" (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc) of TCM should move aside once in awhile.

Yes, I think this is how some stars get forgotten. It's not right. 

I have to wonder if the choice of SOTM and SUTS plus all of the assorted stars who get BD tributes constantly was driven a bit by Robert Osborne.  Clearly he had his "favorites" which seemed to have less to do with their talent (in some cases) and more to do with how "available" they had made themselves to him back in his first Hollywood days (long before The Hollywood Reporter and TCM.) I think that is why we had Esther Williams tributes far too often along with hefty doses of Ernest Borgnine (who I can really take or leave) and some others I could name.  I started to think George Sanders had blown off or insulted Osborne "back in the day" because I could find no other plausible reason for why Sanders was routinely ignored, especially considering he appeared in many films which were already in the TCM library.  Though I certainly valued RO and will miss him, perhaps his passing will allow for a much-needed "re-start" when it comes to the selection of worthy SOTMs and SUTS.  There will always be way too much of Wayne, Grant, Hepburn and Davis (all of whom I admire but they get way too many tributes in comparison to some others) because the powers that be at TCM feel that they are extremely marketable but, it's time to give the Robert Youngs and Una Merkels their moment in the sun, too.

I have to wonder if the choice of SOTM and SUTS plus all of the assorted stars who get BD tributes constantly was driven a bit by Robert Osborne.  Clearly he had his "favorites" which seemed to have less to do with their talent (in some cases) and more to do with how "available" they had made themselves to him back in his first Hollywood days (long before The Hollywood Reporter and TCM.) I think that is why we had Esther Williams tributes far too often along with hefty doses of Ernest Borgnine (who I can really take or leave) and some others I could name.  I started to think George Sanders had blown off or insulted Osborne "back in the day" because I could find no other plausible reason for why Sanders was routinely ignored, especially considering he appeared in many films which were already in the TCM library.  Though I certainly valued RO and will miss him, perhaps his passing will allow for a much-needed "re-start" when it comes to the selection of worthy SOTMs and SUTS.  There will always be way too much of Wayne, Grant, Hepburn and Davis (all of whom I admire but they get way too many tributes in comparison to some others) because the powers that be at TCM feel that they are extremely marketable but, it's time to give the Robert Youngs and Una Merkels their moment in the sun, too.

Another one Robert pushed a lot was Natalie Wood. And she has many fans. So people benefited from the birthday tributes, SUTS tributes and SOTM celebrations. But it shouldn't come at the expense of neglecting other favorites. We could write a book about that.

In a way I am almost hoping they don't pick a horror star this October and go for someone like Robert Young who deserves an honest reappraisal. 

• Like 1

Another one Robert pushed a lot was Natalie Wood. And she has many fans. So people benefited from the birthday tributes, SUTS tributes and SOTM celebrations. But it shouldn't come at the expense of neglecting other favorites. We could write a book about that.

In a way I am almost hoping they don't pick a horror star this October and go for someone like Robert Young who deserves an honest reappraisal.

Speaking of Natalie Wood, she just had a birthday tribute this week. I'm a fan of Natalie, so I can see where that comes into play. But I can also see the other side of things. Neglecting other stars just to give another tribute to Natalie (or to any of the other "popular kids" for that matter) isn't right. I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter if a star has a lot of fans either. Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans, but when was the last time any of his films were played on TCM? Exactly.

TopBilled, at this point I'd be okay with a non horror star being chosen. Robert Young deserves to be SOTM again. But I could also see someone like Tony Perkins (who did some horror films) as SOTM.

• Like 2

Speaking of Natalie Wood, she just had a birthday tribute this week. I'm a fan of Natalie, so I can see where that comes into play. But I can also see the other side of things. Neglecting other stars just to give another tribute to Natalie (or to any of the other "popular kids" for that matter) isn't right. I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter if a star has a lot of fans either. Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans, but when was the last time any of his films were played on TCM? Exactly.

TopBilled, at this point I'd be okay with a non horror star being chosen. Robert Young deserves to be SOTM again. But I could also see someone like Tony Perkins (who did some horror films) as SOTM.

We're heading into the final week of July-- so hopefully we'll get the October schedule info soon.

I know it sounds funny to be worrying about movies on TCM in October when we're in the middle of summer, but usually the info is published three months in advance.

There are only 24 hours in a day.   That means around 10 or so movies per day.    Anytime anyone is featured it means others can't be, due to time constraints.   

As for "Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans';    popularity is relative.     I doubt that Vaughn is known by 1\10 as many people as Natalie.  But I do agree that the number of fans a star has shouldn't be the primary criteria for TCM doing a tribute or not.

To me Vaughn doesn't deserve any tribute because he wasn't a above the billing actor and he wasn't in enough solid studio-era films.    Maybe SUTS at best.   (same with Roger Moore who also recently passed).

Robert Young was SOTM in Feb. 1996,  so yea,  having him again makes sense (but Monroe and Bando have never been SOTM so that has to be taken into consideration).      It all comes down to choices and decisions and if I was head of programming I would struggle to make them.