Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

The 13th Doctor is...

36 posts in this topic

Ooooh...can't WAIT 'til a certain "Hot Spell" aficionado around here sees THIS bit of news! 

• Like 2

Ooooh...can't WAIT 'til a certain "Hot Spell" aficionado around here sees THIS bit of news! 

And I'm sure that somehow, it's the millennial generation's fault.

• Like 3

"The 13th Doctor is...", BLANK--Brett Sommers?

(turns card) "I said, 'A fangirl-created nightmare'?"

(ding!)

"The 13th Doctor is..." BLANK, Richard Dawson?

"Well, I'm going to have break from the group here, and say (turns card) "Pandering"?

(judges pause)

(ding!)

​Okay, looking for a match:  "The 13th Doctor is..." BLANK, Charles Nelson Reilly?

"Hunh-huhh, I said (turns card) "Smug PC/CGI-obsessed 10's BBC"

(ding!)

"The 13th Doctor is..." BLANK, Nipsey Russell?

"Hope this answer'll please ya, but with the new kids, it's (turns card) "Old-series amnesia"!

(ding!)

• Like 1

And I'm sure that somehow, it's the millennial generation's fault.

LOL

Yeah, either that, or all those dang PC people out there in today's world, huh speedy. ;)

• Like 2

Well....THAT might get me to finally WATCH this show to see what all the TALK is about.  So far, I've NEVER seen any of it due to nobody 'round here SHOWING it. 

And I'm not ABOUT to invest in extra devices or pay an extra subscription fee just to watch a show I'm not sure I'll even LIKE.  So don't bother suggesting any of that.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Well....THAT might get me to finally WATCH this show to see what all the TALK is about.  So far, I've NEVER seen any of it due to nobody 'round here SHOWING it. 

And I'm not ABOUT to invest in extra devices or pay an extra subscription fee just to watch a show I'm not sure I'll even LIKE.  So don't bother suggesting any of that.

The old-school cheap Doctor Who was shown on PBS in my area. When it was revamped and started gaining more critical cred circa 2005, those shows are on BBC America, which is on standard Comcast cable (again, in my area). I saw it a few times back in the goofy days, but have yet to catch up with the 2005+ era Doctors.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:46 PM, Sepiatone said:

Do you mean the New series, or any Who, new or old?

They're both rather extensively on disk.  

(Especially the classic Tom Baker and restored Patrick Troughton Old-seasons.

Anyone who says "Yay, a girl!", we're thinking of administering a Loyalty Test to prove that they've seen "Genesis of the Daleks", "The Invasion" or "Talons of Weng-Chiang" before posting.)

LawrenceA

The old-school cheap Doctor Who was shown on PBS in my area. When it was revamped and started gaining more critical cred circa 2005, those shows are on BBC America, 

Although you don't buy much "cred" with a bigger budget and made-for-cable CGI--

Classic Who was kidded for being "cheap", but only in the sense that Upstairs Downstairs or Six Wives of Henry VIII was "cheap" for having to be filmed on videotape in BBC soundstages.

That made 70's-Golden-Age BBC series feel more like we were watching a theatrical Royal Shakespeare play, the emphasis was more on the acting and script, and the claustrophobic need to keep us in one-room closeups put us "in" the action with the characters.

For 10-yo. British kids at teatime hiding behind their chairs from Daleks, Classic 60's-70's Who felt like watching a play of the Doctor, which, of course, made him more real.

(Also, it was trying to be educational, in that the Doctor, like Sherlock Holmes, used real science to get out of a jam, and didn't try to go in a hundred loopy Douglas Adams-wannabe directions to justify the CGI budget and top the previous season finale.)

...Anyone who says "Yay, a girl!", we're thinking of administering a Loyalty Test to prove that they've seen "Genesis of the Daleks", "The Invasion" or "Talons of Weng-Chiang" before posting.)

Hmmm...have to admit I never really got into that Brit series at all, Eric.

However, just from the manner in which you seemed to preface your complaint/lament here, I'm getting the impression that your chief complaint/lament about this news of a woman taking over the role is based upon some sort of "continuity factor"?

And so tell here...might this complaint/lament specifically stem from the idea that in those three earlier Dr. Who episodes you just listed, the good doctor was shown taking a leak while standing up or somethin'???

(...just askin')

;)

However, just from the manner in which you seemed to preface your complaint/lament here, I'm getting the impression that your chief complaint/lament about this news of a woman taking over the role is based upon some sort of "continuity factor"?

And so tell here...might this complaint/lament specifically stem from the idea that in those three earlier Dr. Who episodes you just listed, the good doctor was shown taking a leak while standing up or somethin'???

(...just askin')

;)

I've seen an episode here and there and I don't care for it.  I find it boring.

So I'm just going to say:

"Yay a girl!" 

• Like 1

No, it's the same--EXACT SAME--people who want to be all New & Neato when it comes to recasting Daniel Craig's 007 ("Bond should be black!"  "Bond should be a woman!"), without any real appreciation for who the character is supposed to be on paper.

In the New series' case, the producer was so busy trying to live down old 70's complaints about "damsel-in-distress" Companions (which they weren't, once you got watching), they tried to create "empowered" Companions, handed it over to Billie Piper's galactic ego in the first New season as Rose, and ever afterward spun the idea that the Doctor was just going out on a jaunt with his main seasonlong-romance squeeze, so she could rescue him.

Rather than the idea that the Old-series companions were either kid-audience-insert orphans that the Doctor could protege', or were comically grudging stowaways to play loyal-but-confused Dr. Watson to the Doctor's eccentric-oddball-genius Holmes.  

And that he didn't take the Tardis to new places because he was Saturday-night clubbing through time and space, but because he didn't quite know how the darn thing worked.

And then, when it's fan-struck 10's BBC, they start saying "Maybe the Doctor could meet up with Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock!", pretty much ignoring the fact that Classic Doctor was Sherlock.

I have.....absolutely no idea what that Dargo Wisacrey even remotely is supposed to mean, :wacko: unless you're referring to Baker's "All curls and teeth" expression, which joke was already done better by Jon Pertwee in "The Five Doctors".

(And "The Invasion" was one of the restored B/W Second Doctor episodes, where Patrick Troughton played him even crazier than the old Irish priest that tried to warn Gregory Peck in The Omen.)

I have watched Doctor Who since the beginning. I am quite happy to see their choice. This is not because the choice is a woman but because I feel that she has demonstrated in other roles the quixotic personality necessary to properly portray The Doctor.

The sole sore point for me is that I wish Peter Capaldi had been given more than one season as The Doctor. I feel strongly that they wasted his talents and desecrated the series by having him be: Carla's Companion rather than: The Doctor for so very long.

I've seen an episode here and there and I don't care for it.  I find it boring.

I am very sorry to say that I can not point to any easy source online or streaming for this and so all that I can do is to wish greatly that you keep in mind to watch episode: The Eleventh Hour if you ever see it in your television listings. It may be that your local library has the DVDs. This is the first episode of season five. 

I doubt that you could find it boring. It is quite madcap and twisty. It is a wonderful episode also in that you need not know any of the Doctor Who canon as it introduces a new Doctor and a new companion and so you come to know the characters from Day One.

It is a quite touching episode also. 

I am very sorry to say that I can not point to any easy source online or streaming for this and so all that I can do is to wish greatly that you keep in mind to watch episode: The Eleventh Hour if you ever see it in your television listings. It may be that your local library has the DVDs. This is the first episode of season five. 

I doubt that you could find it boring. It is quite madcap and twisty. It is a wonderful episode also in that you need not know any of the Doctor Who canon as it introduces a new Doctor and a new companion and so you come to know the characters from Day One.

It is a quite touching episode also. 

Doctor Who Series 1-9 2005-2015 (Christopher Eccleston through the first Peter Capaldi series) are available on Amazon Prime for streaming.

It is quite madcap and twisty. 

It's a generally madcap and twisty (in a good way) series in general:

As for Classic Who, Douglas Adams was story editor for Tom Baker's years as the Fourth Doctor (and wrote two stories for the show, one unproduced)--

And if you go back and read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" after watching a Fourth Doctor story...you will KNOW who Ford Prefect "really" is.  You can practically hear Baker's delivery on "Time is an illusion...Lunchtime even more so."

Before Baker, the Doctor was William Hartnell's crusty-wily grandpa, Patrick Troughton's mad scientist, and Jon Pertwee's dashing swashbuckler of science, but after Tom Baker, they just couldn't get the Douglas Adams out of the series.   :)

I have watched Doctor Who since the beginning. I am quite happy to see their choice. This is not because the choice is a woman but because I feel that she has demonstrated in other roles the quixotic personality necessary to properly portray The Doctor.

The sole sore point for me is that I wish Peter Capaldi had been given more than one season as The Doctor. I feel strongly that they wasted his talents and desecrated the series by having him be: Carla's Companion rather than: The Doctor for so very long.

Capaldi was the Doctor for three seasons and almost 50 episodes.

Capaldi was the Doctor for three seasons and almost 50 episodes.

It is my earnest belief that he was: The Doctor in: Doctor Who only for Series Ten. He was: Carla's Companion in: The Carla Show for many episodes which were mistakenly labeled as: Doctor Who.

Before Baker, the Doctor was William Hartnell's crusty-wily grandpa, Patrick Troughton's mad scientist, and Jon Pertwee's dashing swashbuckler of science, but after Tom Baker, they just couldn't get the Douglas Adams out of the series.   :)

I considered Jon Pertwee's The Doctor to be a transitional incarnation between the clever one and the insane one. I have known older people develop a sense of humor in their later years which would have caused their younger self to have conniptions. I assumed that was what was being depicted. He was less authoritative and more free-wheeling than those before him. He had more expansive style. This eased the way for Tom Baker's portrayal. I believe there would have been a serious mutiny of fans if they had gone directly from Patrick Troughton's scheming nature to Tom Baker's occasional buffoonery.

I must wonder if the hiring of Douglas Adams was intended to further the transition.

NONE of them. 

And because I'm in one of THOSE moods, I wonder if the show's producers considered, because he HAS had some acting experience, the idea of getting The Who frontman ROGER DALTRY to play Dr. WHO?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

NONE of them. 

And because I'm in one of THOSE moods, I wonder if the show's producers considered, because he HAS had some acting experience, the idea of getting The Who frontman ROGER DALTRY to play Dr. WHO?  ;)

Sepiatone

YeeeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Meet the new Doc, but not the same as the old Doc, eh?!

(...I like it, dude...good suggestion)

;)

(Especially the classic Tom Baker and restored Patrick Troughton Old-seasons.

Anyone who says "Yay, a girl!", we're thinking of administering a Loyalty Test to prove that they've seen "Genesis of the Daleks", "The Invasion" or "Talons of Weng-Chiang" before posting.)

Although you don't buy much "cred" with a bigger budget and made-for-cable CGI--

Classic Who was kidded for being "cheap", but only in the sense that Upstairs Downstairs or Six Wives of Henry VIII was "cheap" for having to be filmed on videotape in BBC soundstages.

That made 70's-Golden-Age BBC series feel more like we were watching a theatrical Royal Shakespeare play, the emphasis was more on the acting and script, and the claustrophobic need to keep us in one-room closeups put us "in" the action with the characters.

For 10-yo. British kids at teatime hiding behind their chairs from Daleks, Classic 60's-70's Who felt like watching a play of the Doctor, which, of course, made him more real.

(Also, it was trying to be educational, in that the Doctor, like Sherlock Holmes, used real science to get out of a jam, and didn't try to go in a hundred loopy Douglas Adams-wannabe directions to justify the CGI budget and top the previous season finale.)

Sorry to bump an old thread was looking for the September schedule but Saw this and had to reply.

I say Hooray to the casting of Jodie Whitaker for No 13!

And not only have I seen all the episodes you listed. I have also listened to most of the lost episodes on audio, big fan of Docto Who extended media specifically Big Finish, and have met many of the Classic Actors and Production team at Doctor Who conventions. And my favorite Doctor is Patrick Troughton.

Basically my point is don't stereotype. Most of the actors of the Classic series have happily shown their support for a female Doctor. And even Sydney Newman the original creator of the show suggested a female Doctor in the 80's. The Doctor is an alien that can completely change form & personality. Nothing about the Doctor is specifically male. The only reason we have not had a female Doctor before this is not because of anything written in the show but the world we live in and wanting to hold onto familiarity. Even though Doctor Who has always been a show that embraced change. It's about time is what I say.