darkblue

Great Songs That Play Over Movie Credits

135 posts in this topic

Is it possible to remember hearing a song when you were just 2 years old? My parents wore this soundtrack out on their living room record player, and I swear I can remember listening to

To Sir, With Love!

• Like 2

I see no one mentioned the score and ending credits for "A Man and a Woman" the 1966 Claude Lelouch movie.  Went to see that movie when I was 21 on a Saturday "date night".  For those of you who remember...dress, heels, matching purse and your date called at the door in a suit and tie. 

Move score was absolutely mesmerizing and I still have the LP in the basement along with some Beatles and other sixties albums.  One of the most romantic films I have ever seen, however "Casablanca" still rates number one on my list.

• Like 3

Too bad the best part of What's New Pussycat is it's fun opening credits song. I thought a film with Peter Sellers, Peter O'Toole and Woody Allen in it would be much funnier ( of course, JMO :huh:) My mom gave me this 45 rpm record from her collection when I was a kid. I played it until it warped!

• Like 3

Percy Sledge sings When a Man Loves a Woman for the opening credits of The Crying Game (1992).

Yes, and in the closing credits of A CRYING GAME, we hear Lyle Lovett's cover of the Billy Sherrill/Tammy Wynette song "Stand By Your Man," which was originally recorded by Wynette, as well as Boy George's cover of Geoff Stephen's "A Crying Game," produced by Pet Shop Boys. Dave Berry's recording of the song is featured earlier in the movie 

I couldn't find a video featuring the closing credits.

• Like 1

Grease is the word!

Well, if you're going to go into the great brief 80's renaissance of cartoon opening credits (Mannequin, Ruthless People), Madonna had a few soundtrack hits in Who's That Girl? (1987):

(Yes, she was trying to "homage" every other historic glamour girl, so Betty Boop was only inevitable.)

• Like 1

TCM showed the little-known (at least to me, anyway) Dean Martin / Stella Stevens romantic comedy How to Save a Marriage and Ruin Your Life (1968) on Tuesday and I found the opening theme to be 'strange'ly appealing.  Normally I’m not a big fan of such music but I guess you never know. See what you think (it's definitely 60s music)

The flourish at the end is a bit much, but that part was faded out in the movie.

TCM showed the little-known (at least to me, anyway) Dean Martin / Stella Stevens romantic comedy How to Save a Marriage and Ruin Your Life (1968) on Tuesday and I found the opening theme to be 'strange'ly appealing.  Normally I’m not a big fan of such music but I guess you never know. See what you think (it's definitely 60s music)

The flourish at the end is a bit much, but that part was faded out in the movie.

Wow...yeah cool! I see what ya mean here, cmv!

(...uh-huh, while listening to this baby, I was somehow suddenly and magically transported back to memories of riding in elevators during my formative years)

;)

• Like 1

A wonderful opening film song from Quadrophenia- The Real Me by The Who:

* Disclaimer- There are a few swear words in the audio playing over the song. *

• Like 1

Of course, Saturday Night Fever's opening credits with John Travolta and the Bee-Gees are stuck in my head from my college days. That song, that strut...the whole thing was so evocative of the disco era and I loved it at the time, although it may not be considered a classic...(and now, of course, I hate disco, the Bee-Gees and Travolta)

Watchmen has some of the best opening and closing credit music I've ever heard. It opens with Bob Dylan's original version of "the times they are a'changing and ends with Dylan's Desolation Row done by My Chemical Romance. Those are some of the best musical credits I've ever seen and I still watch that movie a lot. All the music in it is great--but, I understand, on penalty of death, that this thread is just about musical credits.....

Finally, the opening credits of "The Godfather" (now known as Part 1, I guess) has one of the best themes written by Nino Rota called the Godfather Waltz; and Rota also did the incredible closing music to Fellini's La Dolce Vita, which is worth a listen. Oh Heck, just watch the whole movie: the opening credits are incredible even though they don't have music (they have a helicopter and a dangling statue of Christ being flown over Rome) and everything in-between makes it a CLASSIC. 

[...]

If the URL doesn't look like a "real" YouTube file, folks, and doesn't embed in the page....

(And guess who liked it...What a coinky-dink!)

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Post to Remove Quoted URL

Yeah I have no clue how to get it to embed properly. Tried about 10 times.

If it is a legitimate YouTube link, you just copy the URL of the video at YouTube and paste it in your post.

What is the song you are trying to post?

Jai Ho! A wonderful music video-style closing credit sequence from Slumdog Millionaire by A.R. Rahman:

• Like 1

I could listen to Ray Charles all day.....

In The Heat Of The Night- from In The Heat Of The Night!

• Like 3

Zack Snyder's 'Dawn of the Dead' used Johnny Cash's 'When the Man Comes Around' for the opening title sequence.

Better than Logan's end-credit use of the song?...

(thinks)

...Yes.   B)

Great intro to a great film- High Noon, sung by Tex Ritter:

• Like 3

More fun with animation! From Madagascar- I Like To Move It Move It, by Reel 2 Real: