darkblue

Great Songs That Play Over Movie Credits

134 posts in this topic

I wonder if it is true that Frankie Laine genuinely thought Blazing Saddles was a traditional western and not a satire? Hmm- great song, though!

The Gershwin tune, Funny Face, has been performed by so many great vocalists, but my favorite version is still Fred Astaire's (no surprise there ;) ), which played over the film credits:

• Like 1

The opening credits for the excellent ghost story The Uninvited (1944) feature the beautiful song "Stella By Starlight," which was composed by Victor Young.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/293234/Uninvited-The-Movie-Clip-Open-Haunted-Shores.html

Long before I ever knew this song was from a movie, I knew it from the many instrumental and vocal versions over the years (Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Ray Charles et al.).  One version that I particularly like is Frank Sinatra's version from 1947, just a few years after the song was first featured in the movie:

• Like 1

The opening credits for the excellent ghost story The Uninvited (1944) feature the beautiful song "Stella By Starlight," which was composed by Victor Young.

Long before I ever knew this song was from a movie, I knew it from the many instrumental and vocal versions over the years (Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Ray Charles et al.).  One version that I particularly like is Frank Sinatra's version from 1947, just a few years after the song was first featured in the movie:

Another song that I picked up on while learning to become a jazz guitarist.   I discovered the movie (which I really enjoy also), afterwards.

Note that this is a song I still don't have 'down'.    The haunting and beautiful melody as well as a somewhat unique harmonic structure,  make the song difficult for me to solo over.    The song is featured often at the Jazz Guitar forum, as 'hey, help me with this one!'.     Of course every once in a while some 20 year old will post a video of themselves ripping on the song and I feel like I have wasted the last 30 years of my life!

A song that always puts me in a good mood; the title song from Georgy Girl. I love the contrast of upbeat tune and advising lyrics.

• Like 2

Although it's a modern movie, "Arrival" (2016) featured the haunting music "On the Nature of Daylight" by Max Richter in its opening and closing credits, and throughout the film. The music was so unforgettable that I immediately paused the movie and added it to one of my Spotify playlists. Please just give it a try..you won't regret it.

On 9/29/2017 at 7:24 AM, cigarjoe said:

David Bowie's "I'm Deranged"

For some reason, your original post no longer has this video embedded, cigarjoe. So, I'm quoting it and refreshing.

• Thanks 1

For those who want to look up other great credits, but can't find them on YouTube to embed, check out Art of the Title, a museum of the great famous, indie, and TV credit scenes, on their own embedded video links.

So, for example, if you wanted to post the first Guardians of the Galaxy opening, or even the classic Mannequin opening credits, it's one more resource available.  :)

• Thanks 1

Pretty technicolor opening credits sequence to Friendly Persuasion, sung by Pat Boone. I love how Samantha the goose gets her name in the credits!

I watched this one last night. The use of Bowie's "Space Oddity" adds to one of the better opening credit sequences I've seen in a while. (Note: this clip was used as a trailer, and does not show the credits as they appear in the movie)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched this one last night. The use of Bowie's "Space Oddity" adds to one of the better opening credit sequences I've seen in a while. (Note: this clip was used as a trailer, and does not show the credits as they appear in the movie)

What -no Klingons?

Of course *"The Chairman of the Board: Francis (Albert) Sinatra"-(l9l5-l998) is the champ of this

& his songs won 3 *Oscars 1954's "Three Coins in the Fountain" '57's "High Hopes" from "The Joker Is Wild" & 1959's "High Hopes" from "A Hole in the Head"

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, darkblue said:

For some reason, your original post no longer has this video embedded, cigarjoe. So, I'm quoting it and refreshing.

WOW, so someone else caught this ultra off-the-wall as usual David Lynch movie, huh

Though his show "Twin Peaks" (l9909l) had far greater music & songs then the new series he's still making

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, darkblue said:

SEE BELOW FOR REPLY PLEASE

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:53 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Another song that I picked up on while learning to become a jazz guitarist.   I discovered the movie (which I really enjoy also), afterwards.

Note that this is a song I still don't have 'down'.    The haunting and beautiful melody as well as a somewhat unique harmonic structure,  make the song difficult for me to solo over.    The song is featured often at the Jazz Guitar forum, as 'hey, help me with this one!'.     Of course every once in a while some 20 year old will post a video of themselves ripping on the song and I feel like I have wasted the last 30 years of my life!

"To Sir With Love" (l967) was another good one around then

I couldn't find a video clip of the actual film footage, but the closing credits song, No Blade Of Grass, from the film of the same name, is truly beautiful. I saw the film for the first time on TCM's survival films night. The song is sung by Roger Whittaker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

The beautiful opening title sequence to AUTUMN LEAVES, performed by the wonderful Nat King Cole, was the best part of the film (in my opinion.)

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/278125/Autumn-Leaves-Movie-Clip-Opening-Nat-Cole.html

I agree.     As an FYI:   It appears the song Autumn Leaves is the first jazz standard the vast majority of those learning jazz are taught.     I get this from the jazz forums I'm on.     I don't have polling data of course but based on what I have seen posted there and jazz musicians I have talked to this is the case.

One reason is that while it uses jazz chord progressions one can solo over those changes all in one key.   

I still marvel that a French folk song would be so key to the learning of the art of Jazz in America. 

57 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree.     As an FYI:   It appears the song Autumn Leaves is the first jazz standard the vast majority of those learning jazz are taught.     I get this from the jazz forums I'm on.     I don't have polling data of course but based on what I have seen posted there and jazz musicians I have talked to this is the case.

One reason is that while it uses jazz chord progressions one can solo over those changes all in one key.   

I still marvel that a French folk song would be so key to the learning of the art of Jazz in America. 

Autumn Leaves was a big hit in the mid-50s for middle of the road pianist Roger Williams. It Sold over a million copies.

I was shocked to find out later that it was a French song because it was so thoroughly enmeshed in the repertoire of every  great pop American singer.

Barbra Streisand is the only singer I remember who actually went back and sang it in French, "Les feuilles mortes" for her French Album, Je m'appelle Barbra.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Autumn Leaves was a big hit in the mid-50s for middle of the road pianist Roger Williams. It Sold over a million copies.

I was shocked to find out later that it was a French song because it was so thoroughly enmeshed in the repertoire of every  great pop American singer.

Barbra Streisand is the only singer I remember who actually went back and sang it in French, "Les feuilles mortes" for her French Album, Je m'appelle Barbra.

Jazz singer Karrin Allyson has a very lovey version of the song where she starts out singing the song in French, as a ballad,  and then doubles the time and sings it in English. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I had never heard a jazz instrumental version of the song before I saw your post. I watched some of them on YouTube. Very nice!

I wish I could put my finger on what it is about french music that I find so captivating.

On 7/23/2017 at 4:24 PM, darkblue said:

Barbet Schroeder's 'Single White Female' (1992) had this terrific song over its end credits. 'Spiritual High (State of Independence)' was written by Vangelis and is here performed by Moodswings featuring lead vocals by Chrissie Hynde.

Indeed a great song 

"October Sky" (1999) 

Sorry no Youtube clip of the end title but this will do.

Nice sing along-type of opening title to THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, sung by Trini Lopez:

• Like 1