Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Immigration Policy?

184 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

This may be fake news, the photo seems to have come from a social media site.  Those guys simply can't do that because it would require a great deal of force judging by the sheer height.  Think the agents are CATCHING the lady after trying to scale the wall. Her limbs are pointing upwards as one would expect from a fall.

Another thing, why is she smiling?

I take it you are unfamiliar with The Onion. It's a comedy website that satirizes newspapers and news in general. It's been around for 30 years, first as a print newspaper that was available all over the country at newsstands and book stores, and then as a website since 1996. They've published several best-selling books, had TV shows based on it, and even a 2008 movie. I and a few others on here have posted many stories from them. Normally I will post the word "satire" in bold lettering, since although the stories are always ludicrous and outrageous, some people still think that they are real. I posted this one thinking the story and picture were so obviously a joke that no explanation was necessary. I see that I was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

https://www.theonion.com/

https://thoughtcatalog.com/hudson-hongo/2013/08/the-35-best-times-someone-on-facebook-thought-the-onion-was-real/

• Haha 1

Just now, mr6666 said:

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 53m53 minutes ago

The sheer number of complaints suggest that sexual assault and harassment in immigration detention are not only widespread but systemic, and enabled by an agency that regularly fails to hold itself accountable. https://interc.pt/2EEc5mI 

DaiWkzhWAAEZj9m.jpg

Not coming to the USA is one away to avoid this.

• Like 1

Maha Ahmed @mahaxahmed 2h2 hours ago

People abused in immigration detention who try to report face mountains of bureaucracy, inaction, complicity, and even institutional retaliation. Just one of so many harrowing findings in this forceful piece by @alicesperi @MoizSyed & others @TheIntercept

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/11/immigration-detention-sexual-abuse-ice-dhs/

5 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Washington PostVerified account @washingtonpost 18h18 hours ago

Federal judge orders government to continue DACA and accept new applicants, in toughest blow yet to Trump’s efforts to end program

Congress should just create a path to citizenship for existing DACA applicants (but NOT on a go forward basis so no 'new' applicants),  and add more ICE agents so all non DACA illegal immigrants can be deported.

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Uh,   I was told it was fake news that these migrants would arrive at the U.S. Border at all.

They shouldn't have an uncertain future;  Mexico should grant them permanent legal status.  

What,  that isn't their policy?????      

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

They are allowing a few of the migrants in according to NBC4.

Who is this 'they'?    

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Who is this 'they'?    

Please stop with the playing with words - it's getting annoying.  You know whom I'm referring to.

22 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Please stop with the playing with words - it's getting annoying.  You know whom I'm referring to.

No I don't since the post before yours by me,  mentions that Mexico should grant visas to these migrants.

"Mexico should grant them permanent legal status".

Then you post "They are allowing a few of the migrants in according to NBC4.".

So you meant the Mexican Government.  

55 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No I don't since the post before yours by me,  mentions that Mexico should grant visas to these migrants.

"Mexico should grant them permanent legal status".

Then you post "They are allowing a few of the migrants in according to NBC4.".

So you meant the Mexican Government.  

The US are allowing some in. I'm wrong if NBC4 misreported it.

You are correct about Mexico wanting to give permanent legal status. This created their own problem by allowing the caravan to cross THEIR southern border.

This is not Europe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-caravan/migrant-caravan-heading-to-u-s-border-puts-mexico-in-tough-spot-with-trump-idUSKCN1HA01X

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The US are allowing some in. I'm wrong if NBC4 misreported it.

You are correct about Mexico wanting to give permanent legal status. This created their own problem by allowing the caravan to cross THEIR southern border.

This is not Europe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-caravan/migrant-caravan-heading-to-u-s-border-puts-mexico-in-tough-spot-with-trump-idUSKCN1HA01X

We (the US) shouldn't have allowed any of these migrants in since they are trying to 'game' the system.

I don't think Mexico granted these migrants permanent legal status,  but only temporary status so they could get to the US border.    Either way,  to me this is Mexico's problem;  E.g. they can grant them permanent legal status or send them back to their homeland.    

• Like 1

Refugee Office That Lost 1,500 Kids Not ‘Legally Responsible’ For Finding Them: Official

“This is as horrific a policy as I’ve seen in 25-plus years doing civil rights work,” an ACLU attorney said.

Hidden Horrors of “Zero Tolerance” — Mass Trials and Children Taken From Their Parents

......In late April, magistrates’ courts in Brownsville suddenly turned into “zero tolerance” factories for criminalizing migrants, many of whom have no prior criminal record. Many are from murderously violent countries in Central America and have fled to the U.S. seeking asylum, and they often arrive with children in tow. It used to be rare to charge migrants seeking asylum with crimes. If they did so, they were put into detention with their children while they pursued their claims. Or they were released with supervision — along with their children. The best interests of the children were considered paramount, and those interests including keeping families together.

But now, in federal courts like Morgan’s, not only are parents are finding themselves charged with the crime of “illegal entry,” but the government is breaking up families, sending children to detention centers, often hundreds of miles from their mothers and fathers, or to distant foster homes....

....Morgan lectured the immigrants. “The world is a different place,” he explained on his first day of mass proceedings. “This country has become a different place. I’m not going to say right or wrong — it’s just what the law says.”

On the second day, he was more laconic and direct, explaining that the government had made “a decision that there is to be zero tolerance.”

It was unclear if the silent defendants had a clue about what the judge was referring to....

The judge had just asked Holly D’Andrea, the assistant U.S. attorney handling illegal entry prosecutions that day, if it were true that families were being reunited in detention. D’Andrea sounded uncertain, but answered that she thought it was true.

“Tell you what,” the judge said slowly, with a hard edge in his voice, “if it’s not, then there are a lot of folks that have some answering to do. Because what you’ve done, in effect, by separating these children is you’re putting them in some place without their parents. If you can imagine there’s a hell, that’s probably what it looks like.”..

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/29/zero-tolerance-border-policy-immigration-mass-trials-children/

At the border, my son was taken from me

".......I  knew I was walking toward an uncertain future. At the same time, I was leaving behind a life of known danger. I had fled my home country of Honduras with my 18-month-old son after government violence threatened our lives. Now, with my baby in my arms, I was approaching a US port of entry to seek refuge.

I knew that the asylum process could take a long time, and that it was possible that my son and I would be detained while we waited for a judge to decide our futures.
I never could have imagined they would take him away from me. But soon I discovered how the US immigration system truly works.

After I told the officers that I was here to seek asylum, they brought me into a room and asked me questions about why I had come to the United States. I told them of the danger that I had faced in Honduras -- resulting from a military crackdown against protests following a contested presidential election. Each day people were disappearing; I fled just after the military tear-gassed our home.....

...my son had never spent time without me before, and now he was alone in a separate government facility.

The next day, I was told that he had been taken to a federally-sponsored foster home in San Antonio, Texas, but
I wasn't told who was taking care of him, how long he would be there or when I would see him next.
I was given a phone number to call, but I had no access to a phone.....

...... I am proof that parents who are legally seeking asylum are being separated from their children for seemingly no reason. ....

The UN is warning the Trump administration about violating human rights with the new immigration policy.

They are arguing that children should stay with their parents instead of being separated from them at the Mexican border.

https://www.msnbc.com/velshi-ruhle/watch/un-warns-trump-administration-about-violating-human-rights-1248744515869?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

------------------------------------------------

Common Dreams @commondreams 8h8 hours ago

The U.N. human rights office says the U.S. policy of tearing migrant children away from their parents "amounts to arbitrary and unlawful interference in family life, and is a serious violation of the rights of the child." #KeepFamiliesTogether

https://apnews.com/07256633165d48c2aa28af3366008ae3/Immigration-agents-arrest-114-in-sting-at-Ohio-landscaper

SANDUSKY, Ohio (AP) — More than 100 workers at an Ohio gardening and landscaping company were arrested Tuesday when about 200 federal officers descended on the business and carried out one of the largest workplace immigration raids in recent years.

The operation was part of the White House’s increasing focus on businesses that hire people in the country illegally amid a broad range of immigration crackdowns under President Donald Trump that include stepped-up deportations, targeting of sanctuary cities and zero-tolerance border policies.

this kid separation thing is the democrats fault because of their utter unwillingness to work with trump.

• Haha 1

Washington PostVerified account @washingtonpost

Sessions defends separating immigrant parents and children: "We’ve got to get this message out"

----------------------------------------

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 6h6 hours ago

AG Sessions is *choosing* to separate children from their parents at the border

That’s not a law – that’s the policy of this Administration to intimidate those lawfully seeking asylum in our country.